Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: ZipZoomFly and DOA Hitachi SATA drives
From: John Doe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 04:25:26 GMT

John Doe

Scroll up. I didn't even imply that I like BUY.COM. In fact,
I pointed out the flaw in their customer reviews of products.

Apparently your bias caused you to misinterpret that into a
promotion of BUY.COM.

If you want to believe everything you see on a commercial web
site, if you think inexperience is a good teacher, that's your
problem.

Roy Coorne

Kill said:
Impressive. Pointless, but impressive.

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: John Doe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 04:25:26 GMT

What?

Roy

Bob M

jimbo said:
Price Grabber comparisons: NewEgg, 5 Stars with 4077 customer reviews.
ZipZoomFly, 5 stars with 8347 customer reviews. Buy.com, 2 1/2 stars
with 1178 customer reviews. I have purchased from both NewEgg and
ZipZoomFly with no problems. I wouldn't touch Buy.com with a 10 foot
pole. I haven't read all 13,602 customer reviews, but ZipZoomFly and
NewEgg are doing something right and Buy.com is doing something wrong.
jimbo

My only problem with Newegg is that they censor the customer reviews
and product ratings. I submitted a mixed review about an LCD monitor I
recently purchased and Newegg would not post it. So I went to
Resellerratings.com and tried to post a review about this practice at
Newegg. Resellerratings would not post my review. Furthermore after I
told them I would put this info on the newsgroups I read if the topic
came up, I was threatened by Resellerratings with a lawsuit. I have
saved all Emails and my reviews for proof if needed.
So in my opinion the reviews on Newegg and Resellerratings should be
taken with a grain of salt. I still buy from Newegg because I feel they
are the best. But I won't go near Resellerratings.com anymore.

Bob

Phisherman

My only problem with Newegg is that they censor the customer reviews
and product ratings. I submitted a mixed review about an LCD monitor I
recently purchased and Newegg would not post it. So I went to
Resellerratings.com and tried to post a review about this practice at
Newegg. Resellerratings would not post my review. Furthermore after I
told them I would put this info on the newsgroups I read if the topic
came up, I was threatened by Resellerratings with a lawsuit. I have
saved all Emails and my reviews for proof if needed.
So in my opinion the reviews on Newegg and Resellerratings should be
taken with a grain of salt. I still buy from Newegg because I feel they
are the best. But I won't go near Resellerratings.com anymore.

Bob

Hearing feedback from previous customers is important. I have not
bought from Newegg due to the high sales tax (9.95%) makes them less
competitive with other venders. Amazon supports and publishes
customer opinions (good and bad) on many products. Another site,
epinions.com is also good before considering a purchase.

John Doe

Bob M said:
jimbo wrote:
My only problem with Newegg is that they censor the customer
reviews and product ratings. I submitted a mixed review about an
LCD monitor I recently purchased and Newegg would not post it. So I
went to Resellerratings.com and tried to post a review about this
practice at Newegg. Resellerratings would not post my review.
Furthermore after I told them I would put this info on the
newsgroups I read if the topic came up, I was threatened by
Resellerratings with a lawsuit. I have saved all Emails and my
reviews for proof if needed.

Well post them already.

Would be nice for you to at least explain their stated reasoning for
threatening you. Much easier would be to post their correspondence.

The only thing I can imagine is that they assumed the copyright for
your submission. But, as far as I know, all you have to do is
rewrite your opinion/experience.

Sharing your opinions and experiences is perfectly legal, at least
here in the United States.
So in my opinion the reviews on Newegg and Resellerratings should
be taken with a grain of salt. I still buy from Newegg because I
feel they are the best. But I won't go near Resellerratings.com
anymore.

Reviews from any commercial web site are suspect.

Again, there's no such thing as a faultless product or merchant.
You determine whether the positives matter more (to you) than the
negatives. In order to do that, you need to know the bad as well as
the good.

Albert Silverman

jimbo said:
I have bought many items from ZipZoomFly without any problems. And if
you check the merchant rating at some place like PriceGrabber, you will
find the highest customer rating of 5 stars. I have seen a few threads
such as this before and I have to wonder about a deliberate attempt to
besmirch ZipZoomFly's reputation.

jimbo

Jimbo, I fully acknowledge that they may ship the vast majority of
their goods with no flaws, or even be able to solve most of the
problems a customer might encounter without too much effort. I never
suggested otherwise. What I am saying is that their response to my
particular situation (and those of at least three others who have
ordered the same HD) is unprofessional. And it is either incompetance
of outright dishonesty that leads them to blame four different
customers over a six-week period for the same problem to the same
drives. When we are all getting emails from the same person- head of
returns, and he's saying "you broke it," in the end it looks more like
dishonesty than stupidity.

There is no attempt to "besmirch" ZipZoomFly here. I've reported as
many relevant facts as I can. Draw your own conclusions. But only a
fool thinks that a perfect record means the company is perfect. Even
the best retailer will drop the ball every once in a while- the
question is what they do when that happens. In this case, they are
attempting to make me pay for damaged goods. And for that reason, I
have every right to think little of them. They're in a tricky spot,
and they've decided that it is easire to screw a customer rather than
eat the potential costs if it turns out their contracted supplier is
sending out junk.

And that's the bottom line here.

I think you will also find it instructive to look at the negative
reviews of ZZF at resellerratings.com and count the number of IT
professionals they tell "you broke it, you pay for it" when these buyer
returned an item that arrived damaged.

Albert Silverman

John Doe,
Here are the facts. ZipZoomFly has gotten four returns in six weeks
from four different customers. They all bought the same drive model,
and returned them because the drives were dented and defective.
ZipZoomFly told each of them that they damagted the drives and that
they were responsible. The head of returns was the one who
communicated this.

Given the strange nature of the dents and the frequency of the returns,
and the fact that all these customers protested violently at the
suggestion that they caused these problems, this is a case of either
horrible oversight at the ZipZoomFly returns department or one of
dishonesty.

On top of all this is the ethical question- what if it was one case
only- mine? Zipzoomfly has the choice whether to listion to me tell
them reapeatedly and consistently that I did not damage this item, that
it arrived damaged, or they can ignore what I say and blame me. There
are other steps in the delivery process where damage can occur, but ZZF
is choosing to ignore that (r or not investigate it) and blame the
customer.

So from my angle, there's nothing that will return ZZF to the status if
innocence here. No matter how many things they get right, the
willingness to occasionally screw a customer is all that should matter.

J. Clarke

Albert said:
[...]

Well let's see, if they see hundreds of returned drives and the only four
they get that are dented all come from you, what should they believe?

John Doe

Albert Silverman said:
[...]

I think you are pretending that all customers are goodie two shoes.

You are asking everyone to believe your story. In fact, some
customers will lie. I tend to believe you except when you pretend to
know what other customers actually experience. You don't know. I
certainly understand how you must feel. However, the circumstance
you describe is a problem with online purchases. Since there is no
way the merchant can know, the merchant is not 100% at fault. You
get what you pay for. If you want the best guarantee and the least
risk, by from a local store.

Your complaint is well documented. Let us know how it turns out, the
final result.

Good luck.

jimbo

PriceGrabber's store rating for ZipZoomFly is five stars (highest)
based on store reviews by 8,347 customers. That kind of customer
satisfaction is not earned by a company that "screws" customers.

jimbo

Albert Silverman

On the contrary- you are in the best position to selectively screw
people if you have an excellent reputation.

David Maynard

Albert said:
On the contrary- you are in the best position to selectively screw
people if you have an excellent reputation.

Except your 'excellent reputation' would quickly degrade to none at all, so
it's a self defeating proposition.

Not to mention that if you're the type who thinks that way it's unlikely
you'd ever get to the point of an 'excellent reputation' to begin with.

jimbo

So, you think that ZipZoomFly, a company with the highest customer
rating at PriceGrabber, 8,347 statisfied customers, has singled out YOU
to screw?

Help, help the paranoids are after me!

jimbo

Linoge

There's certainly something extremely fraudulent taking place at
ZipZoomFly. We ordered 4 Hitachi hard drives from them and they were
received timely. They were shrink-wrapped. When we opened them, they
were in perfect physical condition but 2 of the 4 hard drives were not
recognized by the OS and were making clicking noises when installed 9by
professional installers who built over 500 PCs in our company). We
called ZipZoomFly and got an RMA for refund (because we couldn't wait 2
weeks for replacements that might or might not be functional judging by
the 50% failure ratio of this shipment).

The drives were packed with extreme care in ZipZoomFly's own
double-foam casing and were then double-packed and shipped back to them
via FedEx ground. Tracking records show they received them on February
11, 2005. On February 15, we receive an email from an "Andy Huynh" who
apparently is the ONLY person in their returns dept. with pictures of
two Hitachi drives with severe physical damage (one of them has a whole
chunk of metal missing and the other looks like it was punctured with 6
inch nails!!! Of course their "pictures" conveniently do not show the
serial numbers of the damaged hard drives!

After over 30 calls and wait of over 2 hours collectively holding on
line on the only non-toll free phone number ZipZoomFly provides (paying
long distance tolls during the wait), I spoke to a lady named "Holly"
who was quite rude and stated that "they'd send the drives back to
Hitachi and only if Hitachi agreed to replace them they would refund
our money". I stated that this was ridiculous and that I packed the
drives personally (and they were in perfect physical shape) and also
***HAVE PICTURES** (standard procedure at our company when returning
items) of the hard drives being packed at which point "she wanted to
see the pictures". When I informed her that the pictures would be sent
directly to our credit card company and ONLY our credit card company,
she told me that "she wasn't going to spend all day on the phone with
me" and abruptly "forwarded me to a supervisor". Needless to say I got
an answering machine. I left a message but the call was never returned.

I also asked her if there was visible damage to the box so I could
claim the FedEx insurance. "Holy" stated that had there been
visible damage, they wouldn't have opened the box and they would
notify us and FedEx.

The clincher is that we've bought well over $100,000 worth of equipment
from Google Gear/ZipZoomFly in the past year and even placed a new
order (our last one of course) yesterday. Not only ZipZoomFly didn't
care we were a very large customer, they basically took our money and
sent us to hell!!!

Fortunately our loss is only $168 - being a company it's a
right-off so we won't go poor over this but I'd hate to be an
unsuspecting consumer getting scammed this way. It's a shame to see
this happening because they used to be a good company.

So, BUYER BEWARE dealing with these people-I have a suspicion there's
an inside scam running and someone is pocketing some money at
ZipZoomFly.

There's something very suspicious going on

John H.

Hi.
I'm glad you posted this.I sure wont be buying anything from them.I will
keep on buying my stuff from newegg.I was going to buy some lite-on
cd/dvd burners from them.

--

* Magic Is Believing In Yourself*

*if you can do that*

* You Can Make Anything Happen *

jimbo

Why don't I believe you????? Pure bull----!!!!! Another attempt to
disparage a fine company.

I have no connection to ZipZoomFly except as a very satisfied customer.
I have seen similar attempts to disparage other companies. I suspect
some competitor thinks this is a way to gain an edge on a company that
they are not able to compete with otherwise. A very despicable
practice.

jimbo