you (or a program) have requested

G

A customer of mine has started getting this message on her XP PC (18 months old) which pops up how ever many times you click on cancel or you can close it until next log on. It's now started to appear on one of my office PC's requesting a connection to Verisign.com . A search of the net reveals it as a known problem with a lot of suggestions but no real info as to it's source or how to permanently stop it from appearing. "Never dial my connection" is not really good enough. Is this a Microsoft pop up , spyware ?? I've run Adaware , Spybot , Kaspersky Anti Virus etc etc and nothing found or changes. I've read that it's a Dell spyware program but my PC is not Dell nor can there have been any cross infection from my customer's PC , which is a Dell. Is it possible that it's connected with an inability of my customer's PC to access secure sites since February. I've heard it suggested that this particular problem is to do with a Microsoft update , tried the fix from MS but didn't work. In the end had to reformat the machine and reload Windows which seemed a bit extreme just to be able to access secure sites. Thanks.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A connection request to www.verisign.com is a legitimate request
which is necessary to update and verify SSL Certificates. Visit
http://www.verisign.com/products/site/faq/40-bit.html and read
the FAQ section.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|A customer of mine has started getting this message on her XP PC (18 months old) which pops up how ever many
times you click on cancel or you can close it until next log on. It's now started to appear on one of my
office PC's requesting a connection to Verisign.com . A search of the net reveals it as a known problem with a
lot of suggestions but no real info as to it's source or how to permanently stop it from appearing. "Never
dial my connection" is not really good enough. Is this a Microsoft pop up , spyware ?? I've run Adaware ,
Spybot , Kaspersky Anti Virus etc etc and nothing found or changes. I've read that it's a Dell spyware program
but my PC is not Dell nor can there have been any cross infection from my customer's PC , which is a Dell. Is
it possible that it's connected with an inability of my customer's PC to access secure sites since February.
I've heard it suggested that this particular problem is to do with a Microsoft update , tried the fix from MS
but didn't work. In the end had to reformat the machine and reload Windows which seemed a bit extreme just to
be able to access secure sites. Thanks.

Ask a Question