Windows XP XP Pro Slow Start Up

Reaction score
Last week I had a lot of problems with my laptop, in the end I put the laptop back to factory settings, not ideal but the only solution.

To protect my computer I bought Kaspersky 6.0, have Comodo Firewall, have Spy Doctor to run a check when I choose, not on start up, and Windows Defender.

Now I find the start up very slow, it goes through the password etc very well and goes to the desktop, fine and then take up to five minutes to allow me to use any items on the desktop.

I have checked the start up items and have disables a few things but don't want to stop anything that needs to be running.

Is there a program avaiable to not only tell me what is running on start up, but what it does and if it can be disabled.

I assume either there is a lot of programs running on start up, there did not seem that many or some programs are conflicting with each other.

Any advice, please?

Thanks

Martin

Reaction score
martinalmond said:
Last week I had a lot of problems with my laptop, in the end I put the laptop back to factory settings, not ideal but the only solution.

To protect my computer I bought Kaspersky 6.0, have Comodo Firewall, have Spy Doctor to run a check when I choose, not on start up, and Windows Defender.

Now I find the start up very slow, it goes through the password etc very well and goes to the desktop, fine and then take up to five minutes to allow me to use any items on the desktop.

I have checked the start up items and have disables a few things but don't want to stop anything that needs to be running.

Is there a program avaiable to not only tell me what is running on start up, but what it does and if it can be disabled.

I assume either there is a lot of programs running on start up, there did not seem that many or some programs are conflicting with each other.

Any advice, please?

Thanks

Martin

See https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2876012.php
and
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2697599.php

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Can you give us some Tech info on the Laptop, ie; how much Ram you have ?

Win XP Home or Pro ?

To help us help you, please make sure you provide the following information when asking a technical question about your PC:
  • Operating System: e.g. Windows XP or Windows Vista
  • Anti Virus Software : e.g. AVG Free, Norton
  • Anti Spyware Software : e.g. AdAware, Microsoft Defender
  • How do you connect to the net : e.g. ADSL (router?), 56k Modem
  • Your Computer Specifications - This is very important!!
If you are unsure of your system specifications you can download SIW here which is a free tool that can give you all of the information you need to know. If you aren't familiar with your system, things to mention from SIW are : Motherboard vendor and model (motherboard tab), physical memory (system info tab), CPU name (CPU info tab), Video Processor (video tab).

If you think you have a virus/spyware on your system that you can't remove using the normal tools then please be sure to attach a HJT log from here. This will help us diagnose applications that run at startup.
;)

:user:

Reaction score
Hi

It's an Acer TravelMate 2490, and I've added extra ram to give me a total of 768.

I'm running XP Pro and the main programs for Anti Virus etc are as listed.

Once everything has loaded, after a while, it runs very well and that is why I was thinking it may be more to do with two programs not starting up well together.

Martin

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could try running the Full Test Suite from here to get some ideas about whats going on .

http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It could well be a number of causes ... the CPU itself is not the fastest, actually quite slow, and any number of "startup" programs could be a cause.

Click Start, All Programs, Startup ... there should be nothing in there you "need" but that is your choice ... Uninstall the program, or just "drag" it out of startup. :thumb:

My favorite way to examine autostart programs is to use the Autoruns (& Process Explorer) both freeware tools from Sysinternals. Autoruns lists every program that will automatically start and allows you to quickly delete the link to the program. Many autostart entries are important parts of Windows XP, including Userinit.exe and Explorer.exe. So you should not simply delete everything that you don't recognize. Instead, you should look up each entry to determine whether you want it to start automatically.

If you aren't sure a program is unneeded ... leave it!
The Startup Applications List may provide instructions for removing the startup program. If available, you should follow those instructions instead of deleting the link by using Autoruns.

Go to Add/Remove Programs and see if what you want to remove is listed, use this method first. :thumb:

If you are still unsure, just list any "suspect" programs here, and we will tell you if they are needed or just added bloat.

:user:

Ask a Question