XP Mobo Crash

RufusW

King Cruncher
Reaction score
(Sorry, one incompetent PC user, 2 threads)

My XP PC crashed a year ago and I'm finally going to replace mobo, processor and memory. I don't have my original XP CD. So.... how on earth do I keep all the data that's on the two harddrives I've got?

The only thing I can think of - buy another HDD, install Ubuntu on it (I fancy trying it instead of buying Vista) then connect the HDDs and the data should be read by Ubuntu....right?

It's 400+ Gig on 2*250Gig HDDs.....any ideas people? :)

Reaction score
Xp is very clever. Aslong as you have all your original drivers XP mostly allows you to do a complete hardware change without a new OS installation

Sometimes it kicks off however mostly your fine. Dont add everything in one go though build the sytem bit bit bit.

IE

Motherboard, HDD, GFx Card and optical Drive

Id you have anything else like other drives or TV cards and sound cards wait til installation is complete the reboot do your changes allow it to reboot again then install them afterward.

Sometimes it does not work but depending on the hardware XP is ok like that

Another thing do you still have your original XP CD-Key?

I ADVISE YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM VISTA FOR NOW

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
As long as you have an original license key for XP i can probably help with a CD if you can tell me what version of XP it is and which service pack it shipped with.

RufusW

King Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I've managed to find the CD key, it's professional SP2, 2002. Are you offering to post a CD to me Waynos? That'd be ridiculously nice....anyway, reply in thread or PM me.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah i have a Microsoft Master DVD, so i can send you a copy of it if it you want. Just PM me your address and i will get it in the post tomorrow.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Will be in the post Saturday morning, you should get it Monday, couldn't get to post office today.

RufusW

King Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks dude, above and beyond the call of duty!

BTW, will it be possible to do a fresh install with this CD and my existing CD key? I think I might buy a new HDD then connect up my old HDDs to the new system. I think that means I definitely wont lose any programs / data, and I'll have a fresh XP installation...

Thanks again.

Reaction score
What exactly "Crashed"? Did hardware fail, or did Windows error out?

In my experience, you can swap parts in a computer just fine. However, if you replace the motherboard, something will almost certainly not work right. Windows doesn't like it when you swap motherboards on it, unless it's the EXACT same model of board.

Also, if the 2 HDs were on a RAID 1 array, and the array is trashed, so is your data.

Ask a Question