Computer Not Booting.

Reaction score
I've been suffering from a lot of computer issues lately - 3 mobo failures and 1 video card failure.

Let me get started by saying that I had built my own computer it had worked great for awhile and then decided to stop working one day (mobo #1). Got a new motherboard, and that one had a bad PCI express slot, which had in turn fried my video card (that was the last time I purchase an ATI card) that was mobo #2 (for those who like to keep track).

Then I got another replacement mobo (Newegg was a pain to deal with each time). My computer worked again for a short while. I had a new video card and a new mobo. Then one day my computer would not start, everything powers up, HDD spins, hear the power on my CD drives, all the lights in my computer and all the fans are on, and my monitor powers up. Problem is that the BIOS will not display any sort of POST message.

So then I replaced my Mobo again (this time a different brand), got another video card (the other one had belonged to a friend), and tried to start up my computer once again. Same issue, nothing on screen - poor BIOS.

So I then thought, maybe my processor went bad and I borrowed my friend's Athlon 64 (I was using an Athlon 64 X2 - yes the mobo supports both). Again same issue.

I have tried a different power supply without success, and I don't think my HDDs are causing this issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Need more info, please feel free to ask.

NOTE: I'm currently having my PC serviced, but I would like to know what the issue could be before I get an answer back from them (just in case they lie to me).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you have replaced almost everything, but the first thing that springs to mind would be the PSU. Normally taking everything out and replacing it one bit at a time would be the best thing to find the problem out, but as it's in for a service this isn't possible (I guess they will try that). :)

Reaction score
I did that too (with mobo 3), but that didn't fix anything either >.<

Another friend had told me that I should reinstall my OS. I really don't think this has anything to do with it, but what do you recommend?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You don't need an OS to get into the Bios, so it can't be that.

Have you tried a different monitor and/or cable?

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
You don't need an OS to get into the Bios, so it can't be that.
- Yeah that's what I thought, just put that in to prove my friend wrong (and to rub it in his face ^^).

Adywebb said:
Have you tried a different monitor and/or cable?
- Already tried a different monitor (a known working monitor)

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The only thing you haven't tried from what I can see is a different HD :confused:

Reaction score
I have 2 HDDs, one IDE (with an OS) and one SATA (no OS).

I've tried only having the IDE drive connected - no POST message.
Tried with SATA - no POST message (which should at least tell me that there is no OS installed).

Reaction score
My husband also wanted me to add that with my previous mobo it would come up after playing with my configuration and restarting (which later had stopped working).

With the current mobo, playing with my components did not change anything.

Reaction score
Just a quick thing from me before I go bed zzzzzz

Try disconnecting all HDD's, Optical drives, SATA or IDE

You dont need a HDD connected to get a BIOS post message

If it boots past the POST Check and then tells you no Disk is present you can pretty much say problems with your boot drive :)

Try it see what happens, let us know

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Just a quick thing from me before I go bed zzzzzz

Try disconnecting all HDD's, Optical drives, SATA or IDE

You dont need a HDD connected to get a BIOS post message

If it boots past the POST Check and then tells you no Disk is present you can pretty much say problems with your boot drive :)

Try it see what happens, let us know

Well my new mobo didn't come with an extra set of IDE cables so my optical drives were not connected anyway. I think I may have already tried not having any drives connected, but I can't try it right now as my computer is being serviced (hopefully, I should get it back today).

Also, another person that I work with said that it could be the BIOS firmware, but I think I should have at least seen something on my screen.

Well I'll let everyone know what is up with my computer as I get the results from my diagnostics today.

I do appreciate all the assistance. =^_^=

Reaction score
I wanted to let everyone know that I got my computer back yesterday. It turns out that both sticks of RAM had died. I had a feeling that it was going to be something so easy that I wouldn't have thought about it (and the one thing that I didn't replace).

Thanks for all the help ^^.

This thread can now be closed.

Ask a Question