Tip toeing behing the scenes

CSB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

It has been ages since I last loggedin, but I have been visiting to read the latest discussions,

I've decided I need to post something about an issue I've noticed for some time. Now, the green LED on the mobo can sometimes take ages to come on when you flick the switch on the extension lead (all connected via surge protection 8 socket unit).

Its certainly not right as the monitor power comes on instantly but the mobo can come on within seconds sometime and then take minutes at other times. I'm getting fed up with it now tbh and am thinking there must be a problem wither with the mobo or PSU ?

Anyone else had the same happen and if so what was the cause or what rectified it? The system is only about 16 months old now, so my warrantys should still be ok for the mobo and PSU as the mobo has 5yr and PSU 5 or 7yr from what I remember without having to get the boxes out.

My PC specs havn't changed from what you can see below so feel free to have a say.

Hope everyone is ok and look forward to getting back into it all.

Rob

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Rob,

Good to see you again :).

Is the green LED on the motherboard the internal power LED or the one on the front of the case when you power on? Does the PC power up fine?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dont think thats much to worry about.

As an example, Gigabyte boards. When the mains power is lost (eg unplugged) and if the BIOS isn't at the default settings, overclocked for example. The PC will come on, and then briefly turn off for a second then turn back on and power up as normal.

Mine does this, it worried my at first but its fine. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
can come on within seconds sometime and then take minutes at other times
Nope that not right, I would point the finger at the PSU, for obvious reasons, but it's a strange one I've never come across before.

:confused:

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

This is certainly a strange one as I've never heard it happening to anyone else before myself.

The Green Power LED is the main one on the mobo when it lets you know power is on and ok etc. Its been coming on quicker recently and the system powers up fine and seems to have no problems what so ever, so I'm still gaming every so often with good frame rates and everything.

Believe it or not, I've only just recently completed Crysis 2 and the ending was disappointing to be honest as I expected a bigger battle. Still a fantastic game though. Max Payne 3 was completed a short while ago and that was good, although I kind of miss the darker side which number 2 had. I think I've had enough whereby you have to rescue a damsel in distress and prefer the family revenge story from number 2 as it was more gripping.

Anyway, getting back to this strange Power LED phenomenon, all seems fine apart from the long waiting when you flick the main switch. All connections should be fine because I've made no alterations and I havn't had the time anyway, as I've been dealing with estate agents, solicitors, surveyors, mortgage lender etc and the whole house buying process is a handful at times. Throw in driving lessons as well as a full time job and bodybuilding. However, we all have things to do so I'm not complaining as this is life.

In conclusion, this PC has just been a strange one because if you remember when I first built it, the graphics card was performing dreadfully at the begining. Took it out to be tested by Graeme at Kutoms PCs after trying everything else and he said he found no fault. I had it back, put it in (yes, it was the same card as I check serial numbers and everything before I let anything go, not that I don't trust Graeme as I would do it with anyone apart from immediate family, well maybe lol). I'm glad I do take the serial numbers, as Overclock.co.uk sent me back the same Samsung HDD after I told them I wanted a replacement after it had arrived with the protective shell smashed to bits, so had clearly taken a hit I wasn't willing to pay for.

To cut a long store short and getting back on track, the graphics card started to work fine, so maybe a pin wasn't sitting correctly when installed to the mobo at the start, but how wrong can you go when installing a card. Line it up, push it in gently but firmly until you hear it click.

Well there you have it, a little bit more information mixed in with a lot of ramble. Maybe I'm making up for lost time? lol.

Look after yourselves guys.

Rob

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I clearly didn't read the OP properly....

Ask a Question