Windows XP XP Installer issue

Reaction score
Windows installer keeps coming up (for no apparent reason) - it also appears to be blocking some programs from running and comes up every time Outlook launches (and others).

Error Message: “The Windows Installer Service could not be assessed. This can happen if you are running windows in safe mode, of if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel assistance”

I am running XP SP3 and win installer 4.5. This whole issue started after installing an HP OfficeJet 6500. All was well for a week - then HP's scanner software started to hang. I followed there instructions all the way to complete uninstall and reinstall. That yielded the same result. I found one of HP's utilities that corrects scanner issues (can you believe that). It told me that it doesn’t work with the 6500. Next step was to call HP support. They did all sorts of things including installing win installer 4.5 after this the wheels came off.

I have tried the methods listed on many sites. Using the win uninstaller gets the same error message as above. I have attached a log (of the things I have tried) for review.

I realize it is going to be a real challenge ... given that I rolled back to SP2 and corresponding installer ... continued back to SP3 and both installers for sp3. I have also tried rolling back with system restore. I am not a PC Guru but I pray one of you can help!

Is there a utility that runs from the net (not download & install – as it won’t install) that fixes XP system, registry … issues? I have System Mechanic but it won’t run, not even in safe mode.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated … would really like to avoid scratch and reinstall. XP OEM disks have been ordered to try the repair (yeah, dell installed the OS disks on a small partition and supposedly this will allow only a scratch and full restore).

Thank you very much I am grateful for any help!

Paul

Attachments

• XP installer Fixes.zip
    395 KB · Views: 271

Ask a Question