XP ignoring buffers entry in config.nt

Blair

I am trying to resurect XCOM Apocalypse- but it requires the files to
be set to 20 and the buffers to 20 as well. In previous (DOS based) OS
it was a case of modifying the config.sys to:
files=20
buffers=20

and away it went.

So in XP Pro I modified the config.nt (located in the windows\system32
directory) to read as above... it changed the files setting to 20, but
completely ignores the buffers setting!

I have tried putting the buffers=20 first, but it always ignores it. I
can change the files setting to anything I like, but as I said buffers
is totally ignored!

I checked that the cmd environment was initialising using the right
config.nt and autoexec.nt (it was) and have now run out of ideas!
Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Blair

Jimmy S.

Hi Blair,

I wouldn't change XP's environmental variables to suit
the needs of one old (yet good) DOS game. Instead..

Try using Windows 95 compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533

or using the Multiboot bootdisk from:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
(you can set your files and buffers on the diskette itself) ;-)

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I am trying to resurect XCOM Apocalypse- but it requires the files to
| be set to 20 and the buffers to 20 as well. In previous (DOS based) OS
| it was a case of modifying the config.sys to:
| files=20
| buffers=20
|
| and away it went.
|
| So in XP Pro I modified the config.nt (located in the windows\system32
| directory) to read as above... it changed the files setting to 20, but
| completely ignores the buffers setting!
|
| I have tried putting the buffers=20 first, but it always ignores it. I
| can change the files setting to anything I like, but as I said buffers
| is totally ignored!
|
| I checked that the cmd environment was initialising using the right
| config.nt and autoexec.nt (it was) and have now run out of ideas!
| Any help greatly appreciated.
|
| Many thanks
| Blair

Jimmy S.

That's excellent Blair, happy holidays! :)

Cheers!
Jimmy.

| Thanks Jimmy,
| The dos box program has done the business!
|
| Cheers
|
| Blair
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message | > Hi Blair,
| >
| > I wouldn't change XP's environmental variables to suit
| > the needs of one old (yet good) DOS game. Instead..
| >
| > Try using Windows 95 compatibility mode:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533
| >
| > or using the Multiboot bootdisk from:
| > http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
| > (you can set your files and buffers on the diskette itself) ;-)
| >
| > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
| > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
| > which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > | I am trying to resurect XCOM Apocalypse- but it requires the files to
| > | be set to 20 and the buffers to 20 as well. In previous (DOS based) OS
| > | it was a case of modifying the config.sys to:
| > | files=20
| > | buffers=20
| > |
| > | and away it went.
| > |
| > | So in XP Pro I modified the config.nt (located in the windows\system32
| > | directory) to read as above... it changed the files setting to 20, but
| > | completely ignores the buffers setting!
| > |
| > | I have tried putting the buffers=20 first, but it always ignores it. I
| > | can change the files setting to anything I like, but as I said buffers
| > | is totally ignored!
| > |