Workgroup setting

d0x

I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
"WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP", and
then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry for
that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98 here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP
in a key called WorkGroup.

I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the ComputerName
there.

Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
or command line.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

d0x said:
I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
"WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP", and
then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry for
that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98 here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP
in a key called WorkGroup.

I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the ComputerName
there.

Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
or command line.
Hi

You can use Netdom.exe version 1.8 to move the computer to
another workgroup.

For more info, see section "Command line, join workgroup" here:

From: Torgeir Bakken
Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

From: Torgeir Bakken
Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH? Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.scripting.wsh Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
include other files.

From: Torgeir Bakken
microsoft.public.scripting.wsh Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
include other files.

Dave Patrick

Install the Windows Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the
Windows CD-ROM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
| method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
| nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
| include other files.

Dave Patrick

Install the Windows Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the
Windows CD-ROM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
| method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
| nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
| include other files.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

d0x said:
i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it.
Which ever method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k
and xp (give or take nt4). The project that I am doing is a
stand alone executable, so I cannot include other files.
Hi

Then you will need to use API calls.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP introduces the NetJoinDomain() API,
which must be used by Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients to
join a workgroup or a domain. See the Microsoft Platform SDK
Documentation for more information on the NetJoinDomain() API

NetJoinDomain
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/netmgmt/netmgmt/netjoindomain.asp?frame=true

Based on the following newsgroup post, KB article 170620 will give you
a start point on how to do it for NT 4.0

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

How To Manage Computer Domain Membership Programmatically on Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170620

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)