"C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe"

If you find it, right click it and either choose Create Shortcut and accept
the offer to place it on your desktop..... or..... right click it and choose
Copy. Go to wherever you want that shortcut to exist, right click and
choose Paste Shortcut. You might put it in Programs... Accessories, since
that's where you say you looked for it.

G

In reply to a question about what happened to WordPad in Windows XP, you said
"come on...put in a little effort...search for wordpad.exe......

I happen to have Windows XP Home Edition -- which came pre-installed on my computer -- and I can assure you that I have looked for it everywhere on my computer, including doing a file search for "wordpad.exe" as well as "wordpad.*", and also checked the add windows components on the Add Programs window ... and it is nowhere to be found. I especially would have expected to find it in the latter, where I can add or remove all sorts of standard Windows stuff, like the calculator, notepad, etc. I suppose then that WordPad is not a Windows "component", but rather a separate program, but it was never installed on my computer. The only reason I even care about it is that I have a third party program that tries to save data via WordPad. Anyone have any ideas about how I can obtain a copy of WordPad?

T

Tim Slattery

Bill Velek said:
In reply to a question about what happened to WordPad in Windows XP, you said:
"come on...put in a little effort...search for wordpad.exe......"

I happen to have Windows XP Home Edition -- which came pre-installed on my computer -- and I can assure you that I have looked for it everywhere on my computer, including doing a file search for "wordpad.exe" as well as "wordpad.*", and also checked the add windows components on the Add Programs window ... and it is nowhere to be found. I especially would have expected to find it in the latter, where I can add or remove all sorts of standard Windows stuff, like the calculator, notepad, etc. I suppose then that WordPad is not a Windows "component", but rather a separate program, but it was never installed on my computer. The only reason I even care about it is that I have a third party program that tries to save data via WordPad. Anyone have any ideas about how I can obtain a copy of WordPad?

My machine here at work is so locked down that I can't verify that
this is actually right but...Try Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs.
Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the toolbar on the left side.
This is where my computer refuses to let me look (employer's
policies), but you *should* be able to tell it to install Wordpad
there. You'll probably have provide your WinXP CD for it to get the
program from.

Ask a Question