Recover Wordpad Document

Reaction score
I need "help" if it can be given to me via email. I am not a computer genius as you will find out. I made a file in the Word Pad icon called PASSWORDS. Today I had to fix my User Name on one of the accounts. I fixed it and then left Word Pad without saving the change I made. Is there and easy way for me to recover my Word Pad Document called "PASSWORDS"? IF there

I am hoping someone out there knows what I should do to get my Document back. I just ,apparently, deleted it about 30 minutes ago and for an 80 year old it was one of my very valuable documents. Please help me if anyone out there can

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Paul. I've edited your e-mail address out, as it'll get pick up by spambots (it's not a good idea to have e-mail addresses visible online, as you'll end up with a lot of spam). You should get this reply via e-mail through the site automatically, but you'll need to return to the site to post a a reply.

Sadly, I think it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to recover a Wordpad document that was never saved, as the data was never written to disk (it was just stored in memory) :(. If it was saved, then deleted, it may have been possible.

There's a very, very slim chance that you may have a .tmp file with the changes in this directory:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\WordPad

A bit of googling shows that some users have that folder and unsaved Wordpad documents have temporary files created there (with unsaved data). I don't have this folder in Windows 10, but depending on your OS, you might. If there is anything in that directory, you could try right-clicking it and use "Open With > Wordpad".

What was the password for? Is it something you can just reset and create another one?

Ask a Question