Windows XP Wireless Networking w/WXP Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

A newbie here. I just changed careers into the IT Admin. field and am currently having issues with wirelessly connecting to my company laptop to my domain server. I can dynamically set all addresses and get internet and email access however no access to my main domain server with all the company files on them. I can however connect via Ethernet with the following info:

IP: 10.10.0.168
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.10.0.1
DNS: 10.10.0.127

Any suggestions?

Mike

Reaction score
Are you trying to connect to your company domain out of the office? If you are, there may be VPN access in place that you can use. Typically you will need a VPN client installed on your laptop and a securID token (key FOB) to connect to the VPN server.

Deac0nfr0st

Reaction score
No Deac0nfr0st. We do of course have a VPN set up for remote access however in this case I am definitely inside the office. I am physically sitting right next to the servers themselves. We have two linksys wireless routers if that helps. It will not allow me to remap any network directories.

Reaction score
Found the solution. I needed to access the other lynksys router and also reset the encryption key. Once that was done I had full access to all servers. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hello Deac0nfr0st,

Now I am having the issue that you have previously presented. I can log on to the servers, use either remote desktop or VNC viewer to remotely control my server but cannot do it from home. I am using the correct password, and tried to log on to the company VPN with no success. The old IT person was using Cisco VPN Client, VNC viewer and remote desktop. I have tried all three with no success from home. I could however access my home computer wirelessly. Any suggestions? Thanks. Michael

Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you saying that you are successfully connected via VPN but cannot connect using Remote Desktop to the servers? If you are, then I suggest you check your config settings on the router for VPN users to allow for Remote Desktop connection. However if you are having issues with VPN, resolve that first before you start troubleshooting RDC.

Reaction score
ok, another basic question. Correct me if I am wrong but you can't connect to any computer via remote desktop or VNC unless you are connected via some sort of VPN correct? what I am trying to set up is remote access to my friends and families computer to help them remotely. they all have internet access of course and all have WXP pro. I want to be able to help everyone from my home for technical assistance if that makes sense. thanks.

Reaction score
As I am not a network guru of any sort, corrections are welcome to the following comment...

Essentially you need to have all computers you intend to use RDC with in the same LAN using DNS or WINS. In a WAN setup (i.e. Internet), you can use the remote computer's IP address or use a service such as DynDNS (www.dyndns.com). Firewall settings also come into play. For what you are trying to achieve, what I can suggest for you to use is NetMeeting or Windows XP's built in Remote Assistance tool. This will allow for the end user to be able to see what you are doing. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
When i m trying ipconfig/renew i m getting follwing message

An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection unable to contact DHCP server. Request has timed out.

can some 1 help me

Ask a Question