Wireless & Gmail

Reaction score
All,

I've just setup wireless in my flat, nothing major, just Broadband, DLink Router, Netgear WG602 Wireless Access Point. I only have one laptop that I use to connect. Connectivity out to the internet is fine, but I have a problem sending/receiving emails via Outlook when connected via wireless.

Task 'pop.gmail.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not support SSL-secured connections. If SSL-secured connections have worked in the past, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

If I revert back to cabled connection it's fine. I've had a look on the help pages on Google but can't find anything. I've attached my wireless profile. I must admit that I don't really know an awful lot about wireless so any info would be very much appreciated.

As I don't want to compromise security on my connection does this mean I can't use secured wireless and Outlook?

2862-wireless-gmailx45160x-profile.gif

Thanks,

Ian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That used to be a 'bug' in Outlook that was supposedly fixed in SP2 ... not sure, as Outlook is part of Office, whether you may need the update for MS Office ... I notice that although I do not have outlook installed I still get updates for it via Office Update Site. :rolleyes:

Worth a shot. ;)

... I hate wireless, me have wire running around skirting boards ... got green, blue & gray, need to find some yellow, red & black to make it more colourful. :D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
That used to be a 'bug' in Outlook that was supposedly fixed in SP2 ... not sure, as Outlook is part of Office, whether you may need the update for MS Office ... I notice that although I do not have outlook installed I still get updates for it via Office Update Site. :rolleyes:

Worth a shot. ;)

... I hate wireless, me have wire running around skirting boards ... got green, blue & gray, need to find some yellow, red & black to make it more colourful. :D
Hi mucks,

Thanks for that. I went out ealier and have just retried and guess what, it all works fine! Haven't made any changes whatsoever. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh!! I guess the problem was with the Gmail smtp server I connect to? Just a coincidence that it was at the same time I went wireless.

I know what you mean about the cables, I had 4 machines networked and there were orange, blue, black and green cables everywhere :D The cables offered some form of comfort, but I have no idea why :confused: I'm glad I've started down the wireless route as this is a newish technology for me not having much experience with it.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Jolly good ... :thumb:

I will not 'need' wireless until I get put in my box ... not sure what the reception will by like down there though. ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Jolly good ... :thumb:

I will not 'need' wireless until I get put in my box ... not sure what the reception will by like down there though. ;)

Could this be the first headstone with integrated WLAN/Switch/Hub? :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
AbsoluteKevster said:
Could this be the first headstone with integrated WLAN/Switch/Hub? :D
Google, for once, has failed ... none to be had. :(

That's OK though, I would prefer a Silver Birch tree. :D

Still, will need Ian to design something obscure enough, or maybe get one of those flashing light antenna ...
nod.gif

Ask a Question