ethernet cable or wireless whats the best

Reaction score
I am currently getting my internet via wireless connection from next door(dont worry i have his permission) however ive recently had my phoneline connected and have ordered bt total broadband with the hub witch is penciled in for delevery on 3/1/08

However my phone jack is downstairs and my pc is in my spareroom witch is upstairs im going to connect it with a 30m ethernet cable,im going to be downloading films(legally of course) and playing xbox live with my connection so im wanting it to be as fast a connection as possible and was wondering if the ethernet cable would slow the connection down in any shape or form? I dont want to go wireless as this is more costly and i belive that a wired connection is more reliable than wireless but what do i know, anyway is it possible to run the ethernet cable around the side of my house and upto my spareroom like say sky digital does?or is wireless as good a connection as a wired one

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wired is better.

The shorter the cable run the better.

Acceptable to run cable up side of house.

Are you making off connections yourself on Ethernet cable?

If so are you using a crimp tool?

And welcome to the forum :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow loads of choices...in my opinion wired is better..I am on wireless which has to apparently be higher than the receiver..so..Wired from me :) unless you spend loads and get expert (apart from mine) advice

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome much appreciated
icon7.gif

crimp tool? i thought it just plugged into my phone jack and then the other end plugged into my hud, excuse my ignorance on the subject im not that familiar with computers, 30m wouldnt slow my connection down that much would it? i was going to put another phone jack in the spare room but i heard that this option slows the connection down quite abit.
Is there different quality ethernet cables that you can buy like say for example scart leads i just dont want to be paying £25 a month to get a slow connection and not be able to play xbox live on it
Again thanks for your help on this subject love the site

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A crimp tool is used to fit the plugs to the end of the cable. This wouldn't apply if you're buying a ready made cable with plugs already attached.

You can buy varying degrees of quality of cable but generally speaking if the cable is sound it shouldn't in theory make any difference. It doesn't hurt to buy quality stuff though.

30M won't affect signal quality - ever considered how large networks are in office complexes, schools, universities etc?

Reaction score
Richeyf: Running a phone line up to your spare room should not slow you down. You could enjoy an extra phone up there as well as connecting your dsl modem, filter and ethernet cable (now a short one). I make my own cables (both phone and cat5 ethernet) by using a crimp tool kit. The tool kit cost me around $20 US but the cable and connectors are dirt cheap. In any event, running the phone line will keep the ethernet cable cost down considerably. Just a thought...

Last edited:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Newf said:
Richeyf: Running a phone line up to your spare room should not slow you down. You could enjoy an extra phone up there as well as connecting your dsl modem, filter and ethernet cable (now a short one). I make my own cables (both phone and cat5 ethernet) by using a crimp tool kit. The tool kit cost me around $20 US but the cable and connectors are dirt cheap. In any event, running the phone line will keep the ethernet cable cost down considerably. Just a thought...

I agree. Phone line is cheaper than CAT5 cable and you would get the extra benefit of a phone line in that room.

Phone line is also regularly run outside a home and is smaller thus easier to hide.

Reaction score
Just a phone line thought that would slow it down considerabley but if you guys say not i'll try that as it would be a cheaper option
again thanks everyone

Ask a Question