Trouble connecting wirelessly with DLink router

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been accessing internet on my desktop through a cable modem. I am trying to set up a wireless connection with my desktop and laptop. I have an old DLink router that I used years ago, so not sure if this is part of the issue. At one point (a few days ago), I was able to get on the internet on my desktop wirelessly, but not the laptop, now I can't access it wirelessly on either computer. I had an ethernet cable running from the modem to the WAN line on the router. Then I had another cable running from LAN 1 to the Internet port on the tower of the desktop. I went on the DLink site and tried to set it up, I thought I did everything correctly, no luck. I've reset everything like recommened. Tried same thing with my laptop, no luck. I've looked through several threads regarding this and a lot talk about the IP address, but honestly I'm not as computer saavy as most, so I was a little confused, please help!!

Thank you,

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi Rachel First think you need to do is let us know the Model of your router

The standard Dlink gate IP address is 192.168.0.1 this will enable you to access the routers internal software to check settings using the password access screen

Try "Admin" for user
leave blank for password or try "admin"

;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

To set-up D-Link wireless router,

click on the ‘Start’ menu, click on ‘All Programs’,

then select ‘Cisco’ and click on the ‘Cisco web setup’ icon.

Click on the ‘Router setup’ link and enter Internet service provider’s connection and your account details in the new window.

Then, open the router security window and enter a name for your router.

Enter a password for accessing the router and a password for modifying the router settings.

You need to be careful while setting up the router and while modifying the router configuration. get more information and help to Setting Up D-Link Wireless Router hope this helps you.

Reaction score
does your dlinkrouter gets an IPadress from your cablemodem ?
if not , try replacing the networkcable from your modem to your router with a new one.
it helped me a few times :)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Hi Rachel First think you need to do is let us know the Model of your router

The standard Dlink gate IP address is 192.168.0.1 this will enable you to access the routers internal software to check settings using the password access screen

Try "Admin" for user
leave blank for password or try "admin"

;)

+1 Internets. I recently have been having this problem with a DLink router that I recently replaced for the same reason.

I would start with the router configuration page. Well, first, I would reset everything. Remove power for 10 seconds and power up modem, then router. Verify the settings you have configured for wireless. SSID, or wireless name, should be familiar as well as the password.

If you do not know the settings of your router and you are having issues (especially if this is an old configuration you are unsure of), I would reset the router. This will bring it back to the original configuration it had right out of the box. This configuration should allow you to get online, but will also leave your connection open to anyone who wants to connect. Therefore, make sure you set some sort of security on it with a passphrase for the connection.

Ask a Question