Windows XP WINDOWS XP driver.cab

Reaction score
I have been trying to re-install my windows xp pro on my desktop computer for the past few days. All the time i'm encountered with the missing file error and in this case the driver.cab. My CD is a clean copy and hasn't got any scratches, i've also tried other CDs without any joy. I've tried another CD, with both xp pro and SP2 but the computer refuses to boot from this CD reporting a 'missing NTDLR' error, presumably because there's a lot of files on the CD.
Can someone please suggest a solution as to how i can resolve the missing driver.cab problem.

P/S I'm installing on a clean partition, have also checked my RAM on another computer and it seems to be working well.

Thank you!

Reaction score
How are you installing XP? Have you set the BIOS to boot from C/D only and disabled all others?

What are the specs of your PC?

Reaction score
Hi itsme

I've not disabled anything in bios ie CD is not the only boot set. Do you suggest i disable everything apart from CD? As of the specs well its a fairly mordern packard bell desktop. 512 RAM, 128HDD, DVD RW etc, i don't know if that answers your question.

Thanks for replying my thread..........

Reaction score
Yes do as follows> 1st boot C/D >2nd boot disable 3rd boot disable Etc.

Now put the disc in the drive> hit F10 on the keyboard that saves the settings Now it will say press any key to boot from CD >it should run from the XP disc you have to agree to the installation F8 >when it comes to format select full NOT quick, leave it run only put in what it asks for IE code country etc when it reboots DONT hit any key when it reboots [it will say press any key to boot from CD] DONT press any this time or it will go through the whole process again? wait untill it is fully set-up. and let me know how it goes:nod:

Reaction score
Now that its ok do this> Enter BIOS set 1st boot to HDD leave the others:nod: or enable? leaving them disabled is ok unless you want to do a different boot sequence. which I doubt you will need to:thumb:

Glad I were her to help and your very welcome:D

Reaction score
Thank you, i've set BIOS as you advised and everything seems to be working fine now.
Once again thanks for your help!!! Now i've got to deal with the snow!!!

Cheers!!

Reaction score
ramaseko said:
Thank you, i've set BIOS as you advised and everything seems to be working fine now.
Once again thanks for your help!!! Now i've got to deal with the snow!!!

Cheers!!

Dont forget anti-virus/anti spyware/firewall? And update windows ;)

Reaction score
Just a quick one, how do i enable other boot devices in BIOS, they seem to have all disappereared when i disabled them prior to the re-install.

Ask a Question