Windows XP win xp stall at driver.cab 11% install

Reaction score
hi guys, im new here and have a big problem.

Purchased a new copy of xp home and no probs installing untill it crashed going through the windows style setup menu (39mins left). It wouldn't startup again, so I reset my bios to cmos default, and formatted my harddisk through windows by booting from the disk and started again.

This time I was still in the DOS style blue window when the system crashed at 11% install while copying driver.cab. I've never had a prob with other windows discs used.

I've checked other sources, and problem range from nothing but sheer idiocy, to everything in the system is shagged. I've been told the disc drives may by dead (never had a problem ripping cds perfectly yesterday), my HD may be knackered, ram could be dead, motherboard may need replacing or i have a weak cpu.

everything is running at roughly 49 celsius, and all seems fine.

My pc is bout 2 yrs old, running an AMD 2700+ on an MSI ktv4a mobo, with generic RAM at 1x512 and a 256 stick, with a maxtor 80gb HD (year old if that), with a dvd rewriter and cd rewriter, and a MSI geforce fx5200 graphics card.

ste

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
my HD may be knackered, ram could be dead, motherboard may need replacing or i have a weak cpu.
Yep ... they are correct, all of them.

Forget any diagnostic programs ... install XP, if it fails, you have a hardware problem, somewhere.
If it installs, jobs a good 'un. :D

First port of call for me would be to swap ot your memory. ;)

that will be £30 ... thank you

Reaction score
not again...

thanks muckshifter, exactly what I didn't want to hear! lol

If anyone has any other ideas, let them be known, as my mate has just last night built a brand new pc and has exactly the same problem - with all new parts? surely this can't be a coventry problem, can it?

ste

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
plasterman said:
thanks muckshifter, exactly what I didn't want to hear! lol

If anyone has any other ideas, let them be known, as my mate has just last night built a brand new pc and has exactly the same problem - with all new parts? surely this can't be a coventry problem, can it?

ste
Without a 'parts' list I won't say ... but as a retired systems builder I can assure you it is all too common ... I have had some pretty neat "tools" in my time for testing PCs all were easily beaten by installing XP. ;)

Start with the memory ... you cannot just use any-old-stuff ... some MBs are very pickie too about the memory.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Ive had xp on my system in pro form although this time I have bought home (first time ever) and its a problem. would it be anything to do with sp2 as my original copy of xp pro didn't have sp1 or 2 and worked fine, but I want to be legal now.

Ask a Question