Windows XP Activation site down???

Greg Burns

Sure I could. But since we are talking about a lot of machines here. It
would make $$$ sense to purchase a MOLP license. With the added benefit of
not having to deal with activation at all.

But why can't I buy a Dell with a MOLP license (for extra $$$) to begin with
(or maybe I can).

Colin Barnhorst said:
You can buy your own retail copy of Windows full and do a clean install
and then activate by phone with no problem because the key is retail.

Greg Burns said:
Was wondering what others do in this situation. Can you buy a computer
from Dell w/o the OS? I am not aware that you can. If not, do
corporations just suck up the cost of the OEM license (I understand these
are deeply discounted) and go ahead and purchase an addtional MOLP
license for each machine? Or if you buy 5+ or more computers at a time
from Dell can you get a MOLP license instead of OEM one? Anybody been
down this road?

Greg

Greg Burns

AFAIK you can activate any (legal) installation by phone. Currently MS
decided to block the "major" OEM dealers from activating over the internet
(when required to do so).

As been stated before, you do NOT need to activate a Dell computer when
purchased. And you do NOT need to activate if you reinstall using OEM disc.
You do need to activate if you sysprep and OEM install.

Greg

Colin Barnhorst said:
An installation on new hardware with an OEM cd is quite different from
what is being blocked. That should still activate by phone. Example, you
buy a box and get an OEM cd for the system the retail dealer installed on
the box. You could do a clean reinstall and still activate by phone.

R. McCarty said:
Greg,

I was speaking about the major OEM's (Dell, HP) PCs that come
pre-activated. I'll admit it's confusing to me. Are you saying that all
OEM installs (Small businesses, etc) will not be able to activate via
the Web, but only by phone ? I use OEM XP Professional and if
what you're saying is correct if I re-install I've got to activate the XP
by phone ? From what I've read this change only affects the major
OEMs and might be extended to other OEM levels later on.

Greg Burns said:
It does if you sysprep an OEM installation. The OEM key will not get
you around having to activate it. Now you must pick up the phone. Trust
me. :(

Greg

An OEM Factory state PC doesn't require activation. It's bypassed
by the preparation process. It's when a OEM Key is used on a non
OEM based install that the Activation by phone is required.

As of March 1. It was previously announced.

When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all
of our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to
place one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one
MOLP disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license
for the machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just
fine. We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for
the last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would
rather avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

Greg Burns

Running with this idea...

If I took a new Dell system prior to syspreping it and use a KeyFinder on
it. Could I then use Dell's magic key (not the same as printed on the
sticker) to activate the machine after syspreping? Somebody mentioned they
key was tied to the Dell's bios...

Greg

Alias said:
When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all of
our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to place
one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one MOLP
disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license for the
machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just fine.
We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for the
last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would rather
avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Greg;
I do not think that key will work that way.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Colin Barnhorst said:
As of March 1. It was previously announced.

When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all of
our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to place
one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one MOLP
disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license for the
machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just fine.
We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for the
last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would
rather avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

Greg Burns

Could I then use Dell's magic key (not the same as printed on the
sticker) to activate the machine after syspreping?

I should have said "to avoid activating" the machine after syspreping.

kurttrail

Greg said:
Sure I could. But since we are talking about a lot of machines here.
It would make $$$ sense to purchase a MOLP license. With the added
benefit of not having to deal with activation at all.

But why can't I buy a Dell with a MOLP license (for extra $$$) to
begin with (or maybe I can).

Talk to your Dell rep about this, they should be able to help you out.
I suspect that Dell and the other major OEMs are gonna get a lot of
calls over the next month from businesses in your same situation.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Greg,
Check on the details of your MOLP license, it may allow to do what you are
asking.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Windows XP Activation site down???
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:02:26 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.gener
al

Greg Burns said:
Was wondering what others do in this situation. Can you buy a computer
from Dell w/o the OS? I am not aware that you can. If not, do
corporations just suck up the cost of the OEM license (I understand these
are deeply discounted) and go ahead and purchase an addtional MOLP
license for each machine? Or if you buy 5+ or more computers at a time
from Dell can you get a MOLP license instead of OEM one? Anybody been
down this road?

Greg

Greg Burns wrote:

Torgeir Bakken wrote:

As long as your Dell OEM OS installation (using a Dell OEM CD key)
finds a Dell BIOS, it will auto-activate, and no internet or phone
call activation is necessary.

But that is not happening.

It is my understanding if you install a fresh copy of Windows XP using
the Dell OEM CD, activation is not required. True. But we are doing
that, then syspreping the machine. That forces a re-activation. ;(
Hi,

I see, that's to bad. Then I'm afraid you need to live with the phone
activation, or switch to using a VLK based OS installation.

This Product-Activation Policy change is not going to help Microsoft win
a popularity contest, that is for sure ;-)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Greg,
You need to talk about the licensing agreement with the MOLP agreement,
that's probably not Dell.
This is one of reasons sysprepping OEM is not supported.
828287 Unsupported Sysprep scenarios
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828287

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com>
<#[email protected]>

Greg Burns

Thank you Darrell. I was unaware of this. Doesn't solve my problem, but I
can no longer lay the blame on MS for the situation I find myself in. :(

Thanks,
Greg

From: "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:25:39 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.gener
al

We don't install our images on different hardware types. We usually buy
batches of computers from Dell. 50 or so Dell Dimension 2400s. Another 50
of a Dell 4700s, etc. We have a specific sysprep image for each "model". I
don't think the KB is recommended against doing that.

I doubt Dell is going to be very helpful about exchanging all of our OEM
licenses for Volume licenses for each Dell "model" we have acquired over
that last few years.

I think this is going to get ugly real fast.

Greg

Diane McCorkle

I'll concur,

We rebuild off the Dell OEM image just to add apps via RIS, it has never
asked for activation. I'm using all thier parts so I have no key mismatches.
Same for using a Dell restore CD.. it does not require activation.

Diane

Greg Burns said:
It does if you sysprep an OEM installation. The OEM key will not get you
around having to activate it. Now you must pick up the phone. Trust me.
:(

Greg

R. McCarty said:
An OEM Factory state PC doesn't require activation. It's bypassed
by the preparation process. It's when a OEM Key is used on a non
OEM based install that the Activation by phone is required.

As of March 1. It was previously announced.

When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all
of our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to
place one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one MOLP
disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license for the
machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just fine.
We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for
the last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would
rather avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Greg,
Check with the MOLP agreement, you may be able to count the OEM licenses
with that media
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com>

From: "Greg Burns" <greg_burns@DONT_SPAM_ME_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:25:39 -0500
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.gener
al

We don't install our images on different hardware types. We usually buy
batches of computers from Dell. 50 or so Dell Dimension 2400s. Another 50
of a Dell 4700s, etc. We have a specific sysprep image for each "model". I
don't think the KB is recommended against doing that.

I doubt Dell is going to be very helpful about exchanging all of our OEM
licenses for Volume licenses for each Dell "model" we have acquired over
that last few years.

I think this is going to get ugly real fast.

Greg

Contact Dell and ask them to exchange your OEM licenses
for Volume Licenses which do not require Product Activation.

"Microsoft does not recommend that you use an Original Equipment
Manufacturer
(OEM) installation to install a corporate Sysprep image on different
hardware.
Typically, OEM installations are designed specifically for that hardware.
You
may experience issues with activation or with licensing when you deploy
the image.
When you create a corporate image, it is good practice to use
volume-licensed media."

Summary of the limitations of the System Preparation tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830958

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
:

| Holy sh*t!
|
| That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all of
our
| Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to place one
now?
| ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)
|
| Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)
|
| I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one MOLP
disc
| instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license for the
machines
| after all...)

Greg Burns

Are you running RIPREP.exe to create your image? I would think this would
cause reactivation the same as SYSPREP does.

It is the syspreping that is causing the activation to happen.

A clean install using Dell restore disc does not require activation. It is
only if you then run sysprep on it, that it does.

This is another option we may have to consider. Using sysprep and hard
drive cloner it quit a bit faster and not nearly so complicated (in our
environment). Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Greg

Greg Burns said:
It does if you sysprep an OEM installation. The OEM key will not get
you around having to activate it. Now you must pick up the phone. Trust
me. :(

Greg

An OEM Factory state PC doesn't require activation. It's bypassed
by the preparation process. It's when a OEM Key is used on a non
OEM based install that the Activation by phone is required.

As of March 1. It was previously announced.

When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all
of our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to
place one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one
MOLP disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license
for the machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just
fine. We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for
the last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would
rather avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

Greg Burns

Reread your post. I see now that you are using RISETUP not RIPREP. With
RISETUP that just copies the setup files to the machine and starts setup.
No new SIDs or and no activation required from install based on OEM CD.

RIPREP drops a fully configured image onto the machine (including your
apps). This requires new SIDs and reactivation.

Greg

R. McCarty said:
Greg,

I was speaking about the major OEM's (Dell, HP) PCs that come
pre-activated. I'll admit it's confusing to me. Are you saying that all
OEM installs (Small businesses, etc) will not be able to activate via
the Web, but only by phone ? I use OEM XP Professional and if
what you're saying is correct if I re-install I've got to activate the
XP
by phone ? From what I've read this change only affects the major
OEMs and might be extended to other OEM levels later on.

It does if you sysprep an OEM installation. The OEM key will not get
you around having to activate it. Now you must pick up the phone.
Trust me. :(

Greg

An OEM Factory state PC doesn't require activation. It's bypassed
by the preparation process. It's when a OEM Key is used on a non
OEM based install that the Activation by phone is required.

As of March 1. It was previously announced.

When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all
of our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to
place one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one
MOLP disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license
for the machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just
fine. We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for
the last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would
rather avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

Greg Burns

Just discovered something I was unaware of.

If you run SYSPREP on a new machine from Dell (one that still contains all
of Dell's bloated software on it). The machine will NOT require Activation.
?!?

This behavior is different from what we see if you format the drive and
reinstall Wiindows XP using the OEM disc from Dell. This clean install will
not require Activation (as has been noted before), but after running SYSPREP
it will.

Greg

Greg Burns said:
It does if you sysprep an OEM installation. The OEM key will not get
you around having to activate it. Now you must pick up the phone. Trust
me. :(

Greg

An OEM Factory state PC doesn't require activation. It's bypassed
by the preparation process. It's when a OEM Key is used on a non
OEM based install that the Activation by phone is required.

As of March 1. It was previously announced.

When and why did this happen?

Alias

Holy sh*t!

That means the thirty+ different OEM sysprep images we have for all
of our Dell machines will require a phone call everytime we want to
place one now? ("Ok now lets enter the next 4 digits..." <gag>)

Activation just went from being a PITA to a major PITA! :)

I don't suppose it is legal, to rebuild the images using our one
MOLP disc instead of Dell's OEM ones. (I mean we own a XP license
for the machines after all...)

Greg

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP that came
with a new computer, you'll have to "activate by phone".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have been trying to activate a few machines that have been
syspreped and
| as yesterday have been getting an that the MS Activation Center
could not be
| reached. If we bypass activation they see the internet just
fine. We have
| about fifty of these machines and we have been not problems for
the last
| couple months until yesterday...
|
| (I could probably pick up the phone and activate, but I would
rather avoid
| the hassel).
|
| Greg

kurttrail

Greg said:
Just discovered something I was unaware of.

If you run SYSPREP on a new machine from Dell (one that still
contains all of Dell's bloated software on it). The machine will NOT
require Activation. ?!?

This behavior is different from what we see if you format the drive
and reinstall Wiindows XP using the OEM disc from Dell. This clean
install will not require Activation (as has been noted before), but
after running SYSPREP it will.

Basically, you are removing Dell's BIOS-Locking mechanism using sysprep.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Leythos

Basically, you are removing Dell's BIOS-Locking mechanism using sysprep.

The new machines from Dell do not come bios locked, at least not the last
50+ we ordered. They come with a valid OEM Windows XP cd like any other
OEM CD.

Sysprep is designed to remove activation so that an OEM image can be
installed on a machine and the user will be required to activate it. It
doesn't make a difference of you used a Dell OEM install or even a Retail
XP install, Sysprep will remove the activation so that the user may
activate with their own key.

kurttrail

Leythos said:
The new machines from Dell do not come bios locked, at least not the
last 50+ we ordered. They come with a valid OEM Windows XP cd like
any other OEM CD.

Well that sucks since MS policy change that Major OEM Product Keys of XP
will no longer be allowed to activate of the internet.
Sysprep is designed to remove activation so that an OEM image can be
installed on a machine and the user will be required to activate it.

Some businesses use it to setup their new computers are setup for their
business, not the way Dell sets it up for them.
It doesn't make a difference of you used a Dell OEM install or even a
Retail XP install, Sysprep will remove the activation so that the
user may activate with their own key.

LOL!

--

Leythos said:
It doesn't make a difference of you used a Dell OEM install or even a
Retail
XP install, Sysprep will remove the activation so that the user may
activate with their own key.

This is very true. But the one case where it isn't true is if you SYSPREP
the machine as it came straight from the factory (no format first), it will
NOT require activation. Odd.

But if you format, reinstall from OEM CD...then SYSPREP, it WILL require
activation.

Greg

Leythos

Well that sucks since MS policy change that Major OEM Product Keys of XP
will no longer be allowed to activate of the internet.

Yep, I completely agree, totally sucks.
Some businesses use it to setup their new computers are setup for their
business, not the way Dell sets it up for them.

I agree (that's twice I've agreed with you today), we did more than 100
workstations from Dell for a customer, we had to purchase them with a OS,
they would not let us purchase a Volume license for those machines - they
said they don't do that. We started by wiping a master machine, doing a
fresh install, building it out, making a full ghost image, and then
restoring that image to every machine. The only thing we had to do was
change the workstation name on them after the imaging. Since each has a
license it worked perfectly and didn't have a single one ask about
activation. Had we done the sysprep route it would have taken forever. The
only other route is to purchase machines without an OS from a vendor that
will sell like that, purchase XP Prof on VL and then do the Ghost Image
restore.

Leythos

This is very true. But the one case where it isn't true is if you SYSPREP
the machine as it came straight from the factory (no format first), it will
NOT require activation. Odd.

The machine already comes in a sysprep state - there is an OEM kit that
you can use to setup the machine in a syspreped state that doesn't require
activation, but I have no experience with it.
But if you format, reinstall from OEM CD...then SYSPREP, it WILL require
activation.

That makes sense to me as Sysprep is not the same as the OEM Image that's
installed.