Windows XP, 98, networks and printers

G

I have a 4 computer network, two run windows XP, two run windows 98.

All run into a D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch.

The configuration would be like this (these are close to actual computer names in the workgroup [wg1])

CPU1 (this computer that I report from) [Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600]
Bud's Comp (my computer) [Windows XP same version]
CPU3 (my mother's) Windows 98
and COMP3 (my brothers) Windows 98

My mother (CPU3) is attempting to print something from a website. The printer is hooked up to this computer, CPU 1, via a USB port.

My mother's computer cannot access the printer at all, although file and printer sharing is enabled on both computers.

It is also unable to access this computer [CPU 1] at all, through printer or network.

The only to solve this has been to go into the Control Panel/System/Computer Name and use the Network Identification Wizard to "change" the name and workgroup of the computer...although I never change it.

After doing that, it works one time, and then we're back to square one.

The other pecuilar thing is that my mother's computer CPU3 can access my computer (Bud's comp) and browse it through the network and everything is ok...

any help is appreciated, if you require any more information, feel free to contact me at (e-mail address removed) or use this thread.

Thank you for your help.

H

Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:28:02 -0700, "Jack Burgin" <Jack
I have a 4 computer network, two run windows XP, two run windows 98.

All run into a D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch.
My mother's computer cannot access the printer at all, although file and printer sharing is enabled on both computers.

It is also unable to access this computer [CPU 1] at all, through printer or network.

The only to solve this has been to go into the Control Panel/System/Computer Name and use the Network Identification Wizard to "change" the name and workgroup of the computer...although I never change it.

After doing that, it works one time, and then we're back to square one.

Jack,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.
One vague guess is that your problem has something to do with
the Windows network (NetBIOS) node type, so have a good look at
that chapter, but check the others as well.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question