Windows Update

Rob

When loading the default NTuser hive - how do I disable
Windows Update?

We have some users who NEED to be local admins, but I DO
NOT want them able to download windows revisions/ updates.

I've read in TechNet where you can do it, but I forgot and
can't find the article.

please - thanks!

Dave Patrick

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gp/99.asp

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| When loading the default NTuser hive - how do I disable
| Windows Update?
|
| We have some users who NEED to be local admins, but I DO
| NOT want them able to download windows revisions/ updates.
|
| I've read in TechNet where you can do it, but I forgot and
| can't find the article.
|
| please - thanks!

Rob

Dave - thanks - close but not it. Using the group Policy
also disables the ones who are allowed to perform the
updates.

There has to be a NTUser hive entry that can be set, so
all NEW users who logon assume the seetings.

ideas?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Rob said:
When loading the default NTuser hive - how do I disable
Windows Update?

We have some users who NEED to be local admins, but I DO
NOT want them able to download windows revisions/ updates.

I've read in TechNet where you can do it, but I forgot and
can't find the article.

Hi

Set the registry value "NoWindowsUpdate" to 1 (type REG_DWORD)
in the following key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Rob" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Windows Update
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:51:30 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

--

Rob,

Since you want this to apply to all new users and assuming they will be creating new local profiles based on the Default
Users profile, you could load the NTUser.dat hive from the Default Users profile in to Regedt32.exe. Then using the
registry value Torgeir gave you in his response modify the key to fit the name you gave the loaded hive and then continue
with the Software sub-key on down from there to get to the key where the value goes. Once the change is made unload the
hive, which will right the changes back to the NTUser.dat in the Default User profile.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.