What comes after Windows 10?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Windows 10 is almost 6 years old now, and shows no signs of going anywhere. From what I've read, it looks like it's here to stay and they'll just provide incremental updates, a bit like with MacOS.

How do people feel about that? I'm really happy if we just get a yearly big update that keeps the OS running and provides improvements, without a whole new OS update (i.e. drastic changes to the look and feel).

I wonder if we'll still be running Windows 10 in some form in another 5 years time?

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm all for keeping Win 10 and continually updating it. Whenever a brand new OS arrives it's a hassle to install and there are always lots of glitches which then need sorting. Win 10 works well enough so why change it. If it ain't broke..............

:nod:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I hope that Microsoft doesn't make Windows a subscription. That would be awful to pay monthly for an OS.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What comes after Windows 10 ? Linux. I've been using Ubuntu for my daily driver for some time now with exception for gaming where I still use W10. Don't get me wrong I like W10, it just works for me and I haven't really had any issues. Updates like Mac would be good.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
There is a saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The industry is actually going towards subscription-based software. They will come- up with something that is subscription-based and it will reside in the clouds and run Windows 10 as a secondary OS and slowly remove useful things, moving it in the clouds. Sounds scary but this will be the future of computing in my opinion.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Totally agree about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". PCs are lasting a lot longer than they did 20 years ago, in terms of not being outdated rapidly - so it makes sense that the OS sticks around for a lot longer and has incremental improvements to keep it updated. We don't need a radical UI change, just improvements added each year.

I hope that Microsoft doesn't make Windows a subscription. That would be awful to pay monthly for an OS.
I hadn't thought of that. I think there must be a lot of us here that never even paid for Windows 10, as we upgraded for free from W7/8. I am so surprised that Microsoft haven't improved their app store, as that could be such an obvious and important way to raise money and provide a much better consumer experience. At the moment, relatively few Windows software developers submit there.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Windows 10 is almost 10 years
Is it!? :eek:

I think we'll just see an evolution of Win 10 rather than a new OS. Now if only they could get the context menu's to all follow the same UX design.....!

Reaction score
Windows 10 is only really an on-going development from Windows NT. through Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, to 10.
The basic design and many functions are clearly similar/updated from the early versions. The UI has changed multiple times.
During this process there were significant improvements (NT4, 2000, XP, 7) and some serious deteriorations (Vista, 8, 10).
Microsoft have already declared W10 is the "last version" - However, there are multiple releases (sub-versions) within that "last version".
These sub-version releases occur FAR TOO FREQUENTLY for both business and home users.

Note - all other versions of Windows are merely MSDOS-based GUIs

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No it's not, I have no idea why I typed that, as I even checked the release date :lol: . Thanks for spotting this, I've edited that first post!
To be fair, I'm still surprised its 6 years old! How time flies.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. I think there must be a lot of us here that never even paid for Windows 10, as we upgraded for free from W7/8. I am so surprised that Microsoft haven't improved their app store, as that could be such an obvious and important way to raise money and provide a much better consumer experience. At the moment, relatively few Windows software developers submit there.
Submitting desktop apps to the store is a bit difficult. Microsoft restricts the developers options, so they just don't bother with it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Submitting desktop apps to the store is a bit difficult. Microsoft restricts the developers options, so they just don't bother with it.
What's it like from a developers perspective, I'd be really interested to know :). Is it restrictive in how the app looks, or is it related to permissions etc..?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I wonder if we'll still be running Windows 10 in some form in another 5 years time?
Of course you will. It will be callled Windows Emperor version named after a breed of penguins. It will be dead reliable and run really sweetly. You are already being drip fed parts of now and you wont even notice the change when it happens. Apart from the lack of errors and crashes and blue screens of course. :p
You will still have to pay for it, probably cost mega bucks due to its reliability. Naturally sensible folk will just keep on running there present distro of choice cost free. :lol:

Ask a Question