Windows update does not work

R

Richard in AZ

A new ACER laptop will not update Windows Vista Premium.
The owner states that it crashes every time he tries.
I tried it and it gave me the BSOD, but it restarted before I could read the error code.
I then changed the settings so that it would not auto-restart on crash,
but when I tried the update again, it did not crash that time so that I did not get an error code.
It indicated that it was updating, the cute little pulsing line was running, but after 25 minutes it
had not downloaded any bytes over a DSL connection.
I was able to independently update the Windows Defender and the antivirus, and all other Internet
activity seemed to work just fine.

I have reviewed a number of posts on failing updates, but I don't have quick access to the machine
to either check these out or to report back right away. Any suggestions appreciated, I may get the
owner to leave the machine with me for awhile after he cools down.

Background.
This PC was sold by OfficeMax, but they refuse to honor any support.
It has totally failed on the owner twice and had to be send back to ACER for repair (At least he has
an extended warrantee @ $150).
The owner is about to hire a lawyer and sue either or both Acer and OfficeMax for problems with the
PC even though I was able to fix all of his basic problems, except the update issue. I just want to
be cautious that I don't get into the lawsuit too.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Please repost your inquiry in the official
Windows Update newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows System & Performance

---------------------------------------------------------------

A new ACER laptop will not update Windows Vista Premium.
The owner states that it crashes every time he tries.
I tried it and it gave me the BSOD, but it restarted before I could read the error code.
I then changed the settings so that it would not auto-restart on crash,
but when I tried the update again, it did not crash that time so that I did not get an error code.
It indicated that it was updating, the cute little pulsing line was running, but after 25 minutes it
had not downloaded any bytes over a DSL connection.
I was able to independently update the Windows Defender and the antivirus, and all other Internet
activity seemed to work just fine.

I have reviewed a number of posts on failing updates, but I don't have quick access to the machine
to either check these out or to report back right away. Any suggestions appreciated, I may get the
owner to leave the machine with me for awhile after he cools down.

Background.
This PC was sold by OfficeMax, but they refuse to honor any support.
It has totally failed on the owner twice and had to be send back to ACER for repair (At least he has
an extended warrantee @ $150).
The owner is about to hire a lawyer and sue either or both Acer and OfficeMax for problems with the
PC even though I was able to fix all of his basic problems, except the update issue. I just want to
be cautious that I don't get into the lawsuit too.

Ask a Question