UK bar owner builds Faraday cage to prevent customers using mobile phones

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I can understand that some people get frustrated with anti-social use of mobile phones, but this bar owner has taken matters into his own hands. Rather ingeniously, he has build a Faraday cage into the structure of the bar, which prevents electromagnetic waves from travelling through it. Unlike jamming devices it is not illegal because it passively stops mobile phone signals.

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-talen...day-cage-to-stop-customers-using-their-phones

What do you think? Over the top or a good solution to an annoying problem?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A simpler idea would be to ask customer to put their mobiles into the microwave situated at the front door. :)

up there for thinking, down there for dancin

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wonderful idea. :thumb: Sick of hearing people yelling into their mobiles in the pub. I'd definitely go there.

I'm always amazed that in a group of, say, six or eight people there is always one or more who totally opt out of the conversation and merriment for several minutes at a time. I've also noted that these people cannot go more than ten minutes without "checking" their phone. :confused:

If anyone in my group looks at their phone they will be asked if the rest of us are boring them. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That idea is pretty ingenious - although I can imagine some grumbles from any patrons who happen to be "on-call" in some capacity. But yes, in general it would be cool to see people enjoying the company of others, without having their noses buried in their phones. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
A simpler idea would be to ask customer to put their mobiles into the microwave situated at the front door. :)

Not necessarily... depends on the microwave!

I agree with everyone about not being a fan of people using their phones in social situations. Obviously photos are fine, but I don't like it when people I'm with are using it for browsing, social media etc - I just think it's rude :p