Windows Messenger Terminates Internet Connection

David Dunlap

From: (e-mail address removed) (David Dunlap)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger
Subject: windows messenger terminates internet connection

I am using Windows XP Home edition, connecting to the internet via
cable-modem (no proxy) with the XP firewall enabled (the problem
occurs with and without the firewall as well).

As of late, I have been unable to make the Windows Messenger connect.
I do not have MSN Messenger installed. The strange thing is, that
when I try to sign in to the messenger using an account that is not a
Hotmail.com account, the messenger will actually disconnect me
entirely from the internet (using a Hotmail.com account to log into
the messenger doesn't do this). The OS thinks it's connected, and
after trying to open a browser window all I get is "detecting proxy
settings" until the "page cannot be displayed" appears. It should be
noted that the ipconfig command still registers an ip address, however
it cannot be renewed. Also, I cannot connect to my modem
(http://192.168.100.1/) from IE after the messenger attempt, so I am
pretty sure it's a problem with the software, not the ISP. I can
powercycle the modem and it will re-establish a connection.

One thing I have been able to figure out is that if I try to connect
to the messenger with Outlook Express open, I can see the icons on my
contact list (on the left side of the screen) change from little
envelopes to the messenger "heads" and then back again to envelopes.
This leads me to believe that the Messenger is actually connecting to
the network for a brief moment, and then disconnecting (presumably
because of whatever problem is occurring).

To try to remedy this problem I have:

1.Verified that the time and date of the system are correct.

2.Changed my password at the .Net site.

3.Tried to connect with the firewall off.

4.Emptied the browser cache and deleted all of the cookies.

5.Verified that the security settings of IE are "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked
and
'Use SSL 2.0' and 'Use SSL
3.0' is checked.

6.Run "regsvr32 softpub.dll"

7.Attempted to connect to the messenger service (unsuccessfully) using
Trillian.

8.Removed all of my Passport accounts in the User Accounts control
panel.

9.Uninstalled Windows Messenger 4.7 using "RunDll32
advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" and
installed Windows Messenger 5.0 after restarting the computer.

10.Verified that my Norton Anti-Virus software is not screening the
messenger.

And yet I still have the problem. This only started happening a
couple of weeks ago, and if I'm guessing correctly it was after a
Windows Update one Wednesday that the problem started, although I
cannot be sure.

I am currently using Windows Messenger 5.0.

Thanks for your help,

David

Comment from AlexJ
Date: 10/28/2003 09:21AM PST
Comment

<<<<This only started happening a couple of weeks ago, and if I'm
guessing correctly it was after a Windows Update one Wednesday that
the problem started,>>>>

Even if u r not sure but remember it occur sincxe windows update

There are only 2 ways to undo updates
1. System restore
2. Repair Install

U might not have restore points if it happened weeks before so try
second method
Do a repair install of windows to undo the updates

Perform a Repair install of windows XP
**************************************

I recommend you to follow the steps below to repair Windows
onto itself to resolve this issue. It will reinstall all system files
with this
method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some
files to a
higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation
of Windows.

The steps below will not damage your documents and registry. However,
it is always
recommended to backup your important information and files to other
partitions or
other disks.

1. First, disable any Anti-Virus program and BIOS-level Anti-Virus
protection.

2. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot
device. You may
refer to your computer manual for information on how to do this.

3. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your
computer.

4. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press
a key to let
your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

5. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it checks your hardware
and then
prompts you with the following options.

*To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.

*To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

*To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

6. Please press ENTER.

7. Press the F8 key to agree to the Licensing Agreement.

8. You will see your current Windows XP installation is listed in a
box and get
the following options:

*To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

*To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
press ESC.

9. Please press "R".

10. Then the setup program will repair Windows XP automatically.

All the best

Alex

Comment from AlexJ
Date: 10/28/2003 09:22AM PST
Comment

To read the implications of windows XP repair install

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

:)
PS. It resolved most of the problems caused by windows updates and
like that
Worth trying for

Comment from davidvagyok
Date: 10/28/2003 04:43PM PST
Your Comment

Alex,

Won't the Windows Update simply update the operating system again
after I have done the repair install and, assuming the update was the
problem, put me right back where I am now?

Is the repair install a better option than running the "SFC /scannow"
command?

Thanks,

David

Comment from AlexJ
Date: 10/29/2003 03:03AM PST
Comment

David,

Thanks for asking honestly. U can do a repair install coz its better
than SFC /SCANNOW. SFC only checks for altered files
but don't reinstall the corrupt programs.

Once u complete repair install, create a restore point first using
system restore tool so that U can revert back to it which obviously u
cannot , right now.
Then, go for windows update and install them but not all of them
together. do them in a group of 4-5 updates together.
Reboot after every group download.
If problem occurs
U can identify which update is the culprit. Don't worry, its not gonna
take much of ur efforts.

***Before u do updates****
Turn off ur Antivirus and other startup group programs to avoid
interference

Start->Run->Msconfig.exe
Click selective startup and uncheck load startup items
APPLY and CLOSE
RESTART.

All the best

Alex

I did a repair install as you suggested, and ran into a couple of
errors in the install which may or may not have some bearing on the
situation.

The first error was during the "installing devices" stage where a
dialog box asking me to locate the file "NV4_mini.sys." It offered me
a box where I could navigate through the comptuer to find it, but as I
had no idea where it was I merely cancelled.

The second error was a bit more catasrophic. It was an
"unregmp2.exe" error telling me that "the procedure entry point
GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.dll."
This error I could not cancel, and when I pushed "ok" it simply
re-appeared. I left it there to fester as the install completed
itself and needless to say (I'm writing to you now) it somehow
finshed.

I have not re-installed any of the Windows Updates and the messnger
still disconnects me from the internet when I use a non Hotmail.com
account to connect.

1. Should I begin to re-install the updates yet?
2. What is the next step I should do to solve this problem?

I'm now lead to believe that this is not something to do with the OS
but maybe the TCP/IP configurations.

Thanks,

David

David Dunlap

I have found the solution.

I had to
Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\DAConfigVersion
Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\DomainAuthority

That was it, then it started working again. I found this in the
online help for the MSN messenger.

David

David Dunlap

Actually, deleting these reg keys doesn't work all the time. I can
still sign in under a hotmail.com account, but not any other ones. A
strange fact is that if I try to sign in under a non-hotmail.com
account with an *incorrect* password, the messenger will tell me that
the password is wrong, but not disconnect me. However if I type in
the password correctly it shuts down the connection. Any help?

David