windows messenger and remote assitance

Discussion in 'Windows XP Messenger' started by Karen, Apr 29, 2010.

  1. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Hello,
    When I try to establish a remote assistance connection, I get a message
    stating I need to install a newer version of messenger, but I have the newest
    version installed. I even uninstalled then reinstalled. When I go to Start,
    Help & Support, Invite a friend to help....thats where it says that I dont
    have windows messenger installed , there used to be names there that were off
    of my contacts list to connect to.....somehow they have disappeared and it
    says that Windows Messenger is not installed, when indeed it is. I have
    Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726) installed.
    The only thing I can think of that might have changed this remote assistance
    option issue through the messenger is that I had uninstalled the original
    windows messenger that had came installed on my Dell Inspiron 530 when I
    purchased it. What do you think is the problem?
    Any help with this matter is much appreciated,
    K.Rendel

    --
    Karen

    Karen, Apr 29, 2010

  2. Greetings Karen,

    The message is worded incorrectly. What they're trying to say is that you have the latest
    Windows Live Messenger installed, and what you need installed is the latest Windows Messenger
    (not Live). They are separate products, although they operate on the same network.

    So you can use Remote Assistance in Windows Live Messenger but the old Windows Messenger
    still needs to be installed for it to work. Note that this requirement only exists in
    Windows XP (was fixed in Vista and Windows 7).

    Therefore, to correct the problem, just install the final version of Windows Messenger 5.x
    from here:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/51installer.asp

    After that's installed, you can just use Remote Assistance within your normal Windows Live
    Messenger.

    --
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], May 3, 2010

  3. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Hello Jonathan,
    It worked ! I was at my wits end trying to find the answer/fix for this
    issue. I had left this question on several other sites and even talked to a
    professional computer tech and all of them had no answer/fix to this problem.
    I want to thank you so very much ! Now I can use my remote assistance again
    to help my elderly mother when she is on her computer.
    K. Rendel
    --
    Karen

    Karen, May 30, 2010
  4. Hi Karen,

    Weird, this is a long standing problem and I've written the solution dozens upon hundreds of
    times (also been in magazines and books). So, I'm not quite sure why professionals wouldn't
    be able to find it :p

    Glad to be helpful!

    --
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
    Last day to go!

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Jun 1, 2010