Windows Mail will not accept my username and password

ladybug

When I sign into Windows Mail, it says authorizing. Then a message box pops
up asking for my username and password.

Gary VanderMolen

When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
the complete error message.

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail
(using your Internet Explorer web browser). .
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see
:http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"ladybug" wrote in message
When I sign into Windows Mail, it says authorizing. Then a message box pops
up asking for my username and password.

db

db writes that error message is : " Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid Backend.',
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number:
0x800CCC91" -does this tell you why I cannot access windows mail?

Gary VanderMolen

As ' mac' posted earlier, your provider has made a change that is causing
trouble for many users. See this thread :
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5...ssionid=CEFCAD80841951D8BF06F42A55A32C00#M865

"db" wrote in message
db writes that error message is : " Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid Backend.',
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number:
0x800CCC91" -does this tell you why I cannot access windows mail?

Colin

I am getting the following message after I have attempted to sign in with my
username and password (which I have used on my providers site and it works no
problems) and then pressed cancelled.

Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Protocol error.', Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

I use Virgin Media Security (as I have done so for the last 6 years) with
the email anti virus scan switched off. But it still doesn't work. Come on
Microsoft please help. There any many people experiencing the same problem!!!!

Gary VanderMolen

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

If that setting was already unchecked, which antivirus are you running?
Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time, even with email
scanning switched off.

"Colin" wrote in message
I am getting the following message after I have attempted to sign in with my
username and password (which I have used on my providers site and it works no
problems) and then pressed cancelled.

Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Protocol error.', Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

I use Virgin Media Security (as I have done so for the last 6 years) with
the email anti virus scan switched off. But it still doesn't work. Come on
Microsoft please help. There any many people experiencing the same problem!!!!

Gary VanderMolen

You're very welcome, and thanks to mac for digging up that information.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Colin" wrote in message
Thanks Gary that worked a dream.

Mopane

I too had this problem and then after several attempts at completing the
required information I cancelled it and now I find that whilst the message no
longer appears, I can send emails but am not receiving any. The strange thing
is that my husband who uses the same computer with his own email address is
able to send and receive emails. I have checked as you suggested and the "Log
on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled. What should I do now?

Gary VanderMolen

I don't see anywhere in this thread where you were advised to change a setting.
Don't assume that advice given to someone else for their particular problem
also applies to you.

"Mopane" wrote in message
I too had this problem and then after several attempts at completing the
required information I cancelled it and now I find that whilst the message no
longer appears, I can send emails but am not receiving any. The strange thing
is that my husband who uses the same computer with his own email address is
able to send and receive emails. I have checked as you suggested and the "Log
on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled. What should I do now?

Mopane

I no longer receive any error messages. I simply am not receiving any of my
emails that I know have been sent to me, e.g. sending one to myself or asking
my husband to send one to me for testing. If I send one to my husband he
receives it. We both use the same computer as individual users with our own
passwords.