Kathy D

I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!

Gary VanderMolen

When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
the complete error message.

I'm assuming you are certain you are inputting the correct username and
password.

When deleting and recreating an account in Windows Mail, be sure
you restart Windows Mail after deleting and before recreating.

If that didn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Kathy D" wrote in message
I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!

Andy Anderson

Hi Gary,

I have the same problem as Kathy. I have Windows Mail and Microsoft
antivirus.

Several times when I clicked "cancel" I did not receive any error message.
Once I got the following error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'POP3.live.com', Server:
'POP3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error:
10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Thanks. Andy Anderson

Bob K

Kathy D said:
I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!

Gary VanderMolen

Your settings look good.
One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that
mail account, RESTART Windows Mail, then recreate that account.

If no improvement, I suggest upgrading to the latest Windows Live Mail beta:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta
It will automatically import all your Windows Mail data.

"Andy Anderson" wrote in message
Hi Gary,

I have the same problem as Kathy. I have Windows Mail and Microsoft
antivirus.

Several times when I clicked "cancel" I did not receive any error message.
Once I got the following error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'POP3.live.com', Server:
'POP3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error:
10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Thanks. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson

Thanks, Gary.

I downloaded Windows Live Mail beta and the problem is solved.

Andy Anderson

Gary VanderMolen

You're very welcome. Glad to hear that installing Windows Live Mail solved your problem.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Andy Anderson" wrote in message
Thanks, Gary.

I downloaded Windows Live Mail beta and the problem is solved.

Andy Anderson

ronray

I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!

I have gone through this several times and the best thing to do is NOTHING. When you fist see that window (next time), close it off! Don't enter information or click ANYTHING except the "X" at the top right corner of that small window.
Once you enter information, Windows Mail sees it as a NEW entry and it will fail as well. But this time the information is sent in to your ISP.
Close the window with the "X" and 'send/receive' again.
I first re-entered my username and password and that's where trouble began! I talked to every AT&T agent in New Delhi and finally had to reset my password.
Close the small error window and try again. If that fails, close Windows Mail and open it again.
I know this is not "technical", but it's the only thing I've found to save the headache of password reset.