Hello

Each time the PC boots up now a window pops up called windows
installer, which goes away eventually, but I usually have to hit
delete 6 or 7 times.
Anyone know why, what it's trying to do and how to get rid of it

Martin
©¿©¬

Reaction score
Your problem sounds like an installation which didn't finish. If it is starting up with windows then you should look at the System Configuration Utility (instructions below if needed) and see if you have an installer file or something in the RunOnce (The fact that you prevent it from running may prevent it from deleting the Runonce entry. Frankly I don't know whether these entries are automatically deleted by windows or by the file that is running once.)

Goto Start > Run and type msconfig into the edit box Click OK. There is a startup tab at the right end. When you click it you get a list of the things that start with windows. Unfortunately this box is too small and as far as I know cannot be made bigger (I would love to be corrected on this). This means that you have to play around with the inter-column lines to widen the columns. In the command list look for commands ending in .msi. These are installer files. Try unchecking them in the left column. If you don't find any .msi files widen the last column so that you can see where the startup entry is located. It will usually be a Run item in the registry or a Common Startup. If you have any RunOnce locations uncheck those.

Ask a Question