Windows Firewall SP2

I've installed the SP2 on several machine but a few of them are having
problems with the Firewall. When I go into configure them this is the
message I get:

Windows Firewall Settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie
is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) Server?

Click yes

Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Service.

Any ideas how to get this fixed?

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Joe said:
I've installed the SP2 on several machine but a few of them are having
problems with the Firewall. When I go into configure them this is the
message I get:

Windows Firewall Settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie
is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) Server?

Click yes

Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Service.

Any ideas how to get this fixed?
Hi

Registering the following DLLs might help.

From Start/Run, run the following commands:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

then

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

Then do a reboot.

If the above doesn't work, see if the tip from Karl B/Melvin
Salazar works for you, changing the log on account for the
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service:

<quote>

From: "Karl B" <[email protected]>
Subject: Possible solution to the windows update 0x800A0046 problem
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:03:39 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.xpsp2.general

Firstly, I take no credit for this I was going though the network
newsgroup because my dialup network settings had vanished and a guy
named Melvin Salazar suggested the following which WORKED!

'You can also try doing the following, it worked for me:

Go to Services under the Administrative Tools folder.

Notice that the logon account is set to a NT/User account under the RPC
(remote procedure call) service. Change it to Local System account,
under the Logon tab, and restart the computer. Many of these services
depend on the RPC, but there was an error when it came to configuring
this paticular service.'

Now once I made these changes I was able to get my network icons back
as well as use Windows Update.

Thanks
Karl

</quote>