Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Update 1

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Although Windows 8.1 was officially launched last month, it looks like many things still need to be fixed to attract more users. Apparently Microsoft is also aware of that as the company is preparing a major update expected to be unveiled in early 2014.

Rumour has it that the update could be called Windows 8.2 and should bring several improvements, new features and bug fixes. It's believed that the release will bring back Start Menu, one of the biggest disappointments of the Windows 8 operating system. Another positive thing is that Windows 8.2 update will be available as a free update via App Store during January 2014.
http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/5464/microsoft-windows-8-2-scheduled-for-january-2014.html

Thoughts? I'm doubtful tbh, I cant see MS going back like that, not that it wouldn't be welcomed by many.

One of the first things i did to my GF's new laptop was install Classic Shell. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft is once again planning to alter the way its Start Screen works in Windows 8.1 Update 1. While the software giant originally released Windows 8.1 last year with an option to bypass the "Metro" interface at boot, sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans have revealed to The Verge that the upcoming update for Windows 8.1 will enable this by default. Like many other changes in Update 1, we’re told the reason for the reversal is to improve the OS for keyboard and mouse users.

We understand the latest internal builds of Windows 8.1 Update 1 have the boot-to-desktop option enabled by default, a change that Wzor noted earlier today. The update is still in development, and Microsoft could alter this further before it ships, but it's currently being changed to appease desktop users. It may seem like a minor change, but the move reverses parts of Microsoft’s original vision for Windows 8. While some critics argued Microsoft simply forced the Start Screen interface onto desktop PCs with little regard for keyboard and mouse users, the company pitched its "Metro" environment as the future of Windows. With the interface booting by default, developers had an opportunity to place their apps front and centre on millions of PCs.

Source

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gordon Bennet, why don't they just give up?

As my good old Unkle Arfur used to say 'You can't polish a turd' :)

Strictly for 'I gotta have the latest no matter what' fanboys.

Betcha Windows Nine and Three Quarters is out in October as well.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Microsoft finalizes Windows 8.1 Update 1, improved desktop features available next month

Microsoft has completed the development process of Windows 8.1 Update 1. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans have revealed to The Verge that the software maker recently signed off on a final version of the update, a process known internally as Release to Manufacturing (RTM). Microsoft has started sharing Windows 8.1 Update 1 with partners and PC makers ahead of its release next month. Russian leaker WZor claims the final update was originally compiled on February 21st.
While the update is ready, it’s not clear exactly how Microsoft intends to brand the final version. The company announced Update 1 as a ‘spring’ update for Windows 8.1 during a press event at Mobile World Congress last week. Most of the changes in the update are designed to appease keyboard and mouse users, with options to show Windows 8 apps on the desktop taskbar, the ability to see show the desktop taskbar above Windows 8-style apps, and a new title bar at the top of Windows 8 apps with options to minimize, close, or snap apps. Microsoft is also adding a shutdown button to the Start Screen for non-touch machines, with a new search button present across all machines.

Alongside some context menu changes, where right-clicking on Live Tiles now produces a menu with options to resize, unpin, and more, Microsoft is also tweaking how its boot-to-desktop option works in Windows 8.1 Update 1. Microsoft is planning to automatically boot Windows 8.1 non-touch PC users to the desktop interface by default, as long as they haven’t already changed the existing setting that allows you to bypass the tiled Start Screen. Early test builds also altered the default apps associated with audio files and photos, allowing desktop apps to open the files if boot-to-desktop is automatically enabled. It’s not yet clear if that change has made its way into the final version of Windows 8.1 Update 1. Microsoft is also tweaking the amount of disk space that Windows 8.1 utilizes. Alongside new license cost changes, Windows 8.1 Update 1 will allow PC makers to produce machines with just 1GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, a change that will help bring lower price points. Combining all these changes together, it’s clear that Microsoft is adjusting to feedback and willing to invest in the Windows 8.1 desktop. Microsoft will now release Windows 8.1 Update 1 to existing machines on April 8th, following the company’s Build developer conference in early April.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/4/5468968/windows-8-1-update-1-rtm-release-date-april

*Dons flame proof jacket*

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I refer, m'lud, to my earlier assertation involving yellow duster cloths and animal waste ;)

So, looks like they might have finally got the GUI to most people's liking about five minutes before Win 9 is released (relatively speaking).

Nah, those Redmond fools have blown it in my book.

And yes, I know it's easy to be negative but I will remind members of the Jury of my earlier and initial efforts to embrace Microsoft's bastid child to my bosom which unfortunately ended in tears.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I refer, m'lud, to my earlier assertation involving yellow duster cloths and animal waste ;)

So, looks like they might have finally got the GUI to most people's liking about five minutes before Win 9 is released (relatively speaking).

Nah, those Redmond fools have blown it in my book.

And yes, I know it's easy to be negative but I will remind members of the Jury of my earlier and initial efforts to embrace Microsoft's bastid child to my bosom which unfortunately ended in tears.

I usually like to post my own reply ... Sir Floppicus, however, has a way with words that is just so elegant, precise and to the point I thought, I'll just use the quote button. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
OH!

I just thought ... is this Windows 9?

:lol:

Reaction score

As my good old Unkle Arfur used to say 'You can't polish a turd'
Well i'm still waiting for the first edition of the Sir Flopps Weekly News Update.
Much better than the BBC, Internet or even that paper i'm meant to like, the daily one!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You guys are funny.

If you want to try Win 8.1 and have Teamviewer installed, Let me know. ;)

CSB

Reaction score
Windows 8. Ahhhhh, the funky colourful offering from Microsoft. I can't really comment on it as I've never even seen it in action

It seems there is no longer a final build version of anything, so they just release it as a Beta and use us to fine tune it so why are we paying final build retails prices??? Am I wrong? Maybe I am, I don't know I'm a little tired today. If we are helping them to make money (in addition to buying the product), shouldn't Microsoft start dropping prices. After all, he is again the richest person on the planet.

Windows 7 for me, but then I will have a deeper look into Windows 8 when I have a free 5 minutes to myself. Whats the benefits of it anyway compared to Windows 7 Pro 64bit?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Windows 8. Ahhhhh, the funky colourful offering from Microsoft. I can't really comment on it as I've never even seen it in action

It seems there is no longer a final build version of anything, so they just release it as a Beta and use us to fine tune it so why are we paying final build retails prices??? Am I wrong? Maybe I am, I don't know I'm a little tired today. If we are helping them to make money (in addition to buying the product), shouldn't Microsoft start dropping prices. After all, he is again the richest person on the planet.

Windows 7 for me, but then I will have a deeper look into Windows 8 when I have a free 5 minutes to myself. Whats the benefits of it anyway compared to Windows 7 Pro 64bit?

Faster, Newer, Leaner, more secure etc.

First result in Google..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411451,00.asp
If you don't like change or learning new ways of doing things—even if in the long run they turn out to be more efficient—you should probably stick with what you're using.

As I keep saying. If your that bothered, install Classic Shell. Never see Metro UI again. Hell, install a Win7 Theme and you probably wouldn't notice the difference. ;)

:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
As I keep saying. If your that bothered, install Classic Shell. Never see Metro UI again. Hell, install a Win7 Theme and you probably wouldn't notice the difference. ;)

:)

So, if there is no difference, why are we installing it for again? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
"We" ?

I upgraded because i wanted the absolute maximum performance out of my hardware.

Yes the 'omg no start button' is annoying, but its mitigated in approximately 30 seconds. As is Metro if you dont like it. Also dont forget there is actually quite a difference between 8 and 8.1.

Oh and because I dont hate MS because its apparently still cool, that and I can handle change. ;)

EDIT:

This article sums it up quite nicely, better than how I can word it. :)

That brings us to the water cooler crowd. These are the people who haven’t used Windows 8, and don’t have an opinion based on personal experience, but share the doom and gloom stories they’ve read from the Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows XP lovers. Rather than checking it out for themselves, they just perpetuate the negative hype, which creates a snowball effect where everyone seems to agree that Windows 8 has failed, but nobody really knows why.

The reality is that most of the differences in Windows 8 are cosmetic or trivial—especially compared to Windows 7. Nobody seems to freak out when a car manufacturer moves some buttons around, or changes the position of the gear shift from one model year to the next, and you don’t see a big backlash of people boycotting Oreo cookies because of the dumb way the new packages open.

The reason is because these things are just not that big a deal. Give it 15 minutes and it will become the new normal and then you’ll wonder (like me) what all the fuss is about.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybra...t-over-the-hype-and-start-loving-windows-8-1/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Won't even notice the difference eh? It may be prudent to note that you'll notice a slight dip in your bank balance and you will certainly notice a definite feeling of irritation when you're asked to shell out for Win 9 come Autumn this year... ;)

All things considered, for the miniscule improvement once the GUI has been tweaked, imo simply not worth the outlay.

And we could do without cynical Windows fanboy writers who seem to think it's only the 'Mac, Linux and XP' crowd who diss Win 8/8.1, I'm not keen and I gave it a fair crack of the whip and I use Win 7.

Must admit I'd be curious to try V8.1 with friendly GUI but as I keep going on about - not worth the cash for such a short lifespan.

And underlying the whole issue is the fact that Microsoft tried their damnedest to force it onto everybody then eventually had to admit that yes, the user actually knows best. Lowlife hypocrites.

Anyhow, enough, I'm kinda tired of the whole issue, I like Win 7, Mint 16 and Suse 13.1 and I think this will be my last word on the subject :)

PS: Just out of interest, I should say that I've never, ever, used a Mac OS, might be the best thing since sliced bread for all I know ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
CSB blink and you will have missed 8. 8.1 is almost here soon to be replaced with 8.2 and there is a rumour that 9 will appear late this year though probably early next year.

From V_R's last link.

The reality is that most of the differences in Windows 8 are cosmetic or trivial—especially compared to Windows 7.

Plus apparently the ne wboss of MS has ruthlessly been getting rid of folk involved with 8.

:cool:

I'll go back to struggling with my unusable as a daily os now.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dont think you'll see 9 this year, its not even official from MS yet. Stay tuned to their Build 2014 event in April, where they might announce it.

All the things we've seen and heard are 'leaks' mostly from China, make of that what you will.

This guy is probably one of the best people to keep an eye on...

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

8.1 *is* here Abarb. ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Accidentally leaked by MS for a couple of hours, could be triggered by a change to the registry.

http://www.ngohq.com/news/24606-windows-8-1-update-1-final.html

I'll just wait for the official release.

Microsoft finalized its upcoming Windows 8.1 Update recently, but the company appears to be sharing it a little early today. While the software maker is expected to release the update officially in April, Microsoft has only detailed a few of the features in the update and has not yet provided an official release date. Links to download a final version of the Windows 8.1 Update, thanks to Microsoft’s Windows Update service, have been discovered. A series of patches are required to obtain the full update, but once installed the new desktop-friendly features are enabled.The update can be downloaded via a registry change, or through direct links, but we recommend waiting for Microsoft to officially release it through the normal Windows Update channels in April.

Most of the changes in the update are designed to appease keyboard and mouse users, with options to show Windows 8 apps on the desktop taskbar, the ability to see show the desktop taskbar above Windows 8-style apps, and a new title bar at the top of Windows 8 apps with options to minimize, close, or snap apps. Microsoft is also adding a shutdown button to the Start Screen for non-touch machines, with a new search button present across all machines.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/6/5479390/windows-8-1-update-1-download-microsoft

CSB

Reaction score
Hmmmmm ... interesting video and I can see where they are going with this. I still won't be changing anytime soon and even if I wanted to I couldn't.

Buying a new OS is sure to give you headaches anyway as that's when you're going to experience the worst of what needs repairing/changing. I'd rather leave this to others for a good year before it becomes more settled.

Isn't there anything you miss from Windows 7 V_R???

Ask a Question