Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Update 1

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Isn't there anything you miss from Windows 7 V_R???

Like what? :)

Honestly no there isn't, win 8 is just 7 with more features and better performance. Trust me with my PC OCD, if i didn't like it I'd have gone back to win7. I still have my 7 ultimate retail disk in my desk drawer.

If theirs one thing I'd like back from 7 its the aero glass theming, but thats hardly game breaking and i think you can actually re enable in some way if you really want.

CSB

Reaction score
As long as Microsoft doesn't make another Vista then I'd try any new OS if I could afford to.

Do we know what changes are being made for the upcoming Windows 9???

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nah not yet, its not even official is it?

CSB

Reaction score
Didn't know as I havn't even googled it but heard things. We'll see what happens.

I'm currently baking in work like a jacket potato. I don't believe they have the air con on. *Builds camp fire and signals SOS* :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hot off the press from MS's Build 2014 conference....

The latest update to Windows 8 will be available on April 8 and brings much-needed tweaks for desktop users, restoring some of the features Windows users have been missing since the Metro interface first launched.

First and foremost, the OS now detects whether you're using a tablet or desktop and mouse setup, and delivers the best experience for your device. This means that upon launch, if you're on a desktop computer, the OS will boot straight to the desktop, and on a tablet, you'll get the touchable tiles of Microsoft's modern interface. But don't worry if you prefer the way Windows currently behaves; you still have the option to choose your startup preferences in the settings.

One of the biggest complaints about Windows 8 was the loss of the Start Button as we knew it in previous versions of Windows. Windows 8.1 brought back the Start Button for some functions, but still didn't offer many of the most used features in older Windows versions. Now, with the Windows 8.1 Update, you get a mash up of both the traditional Start Button view and the live tiles. So, with a click you can now get recently opened apps, your documents folder, and other common options found in older versions of the Start Menu, but on the right, you get the live tiles from the modern interface. It seems like a good compromise between the two, and I like that it doesn't completely remove you from the desktop any longer.

Microsoft also made some changes with full-screen apps making them a lot more intuitive for desktop users and more in line with the history of the Windows OS. Full screen apps now (once again) have a title bar at the top, with the X in the upper right so you can quit out of an app easily with a click of your mouse.

With the modern interface out of the way on your desktop, it makes sense that Microsoft would find a way to make the Windows Store more accessible. Now, with this latest update, the Windows Store is automatically pinned to the taskbar on your desktop.

Be sure to check back later today as I update this review with more information as it becomes available.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/windows-8-1-update/

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
as far as I can see/read ... It does nothing for an existing 8.1 user. :rolleyes:

There's only one — just one — really valuable change in Windows 8.1 Update. Install it on top of a fresh Windows 8.1 machine that doesn't have a touch screen, and Win8.1 Update sets Windows to boot to the classic Desktop automatically. (New Windows 8 PCs that ship without touchscreens should boot straight to the Desktop, too.)

Source

we wait for Windows 9

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What the hell kind of site is that, They want me to ask a question or two before i can read the article? **** that. :rolleyes:

The point is for those who cant handle change.....

Millions asked for it, and Microsoft is providing it: the old Start Menu is coming back. Kind of. At its Build conference today, Microsoft announced a new Start Menu that looks like a hybrid of the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8. It's around the same size as the Windows 7 menu, but also features miniature Live Tiles along one side.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574830/windows-9-start-menu-new-desktop-experience/in/5338899

sz7k.jpg

..and if you think windows 9 will be 7 with DX12 then lol.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Microsoft tells me that it's very happy to be able to respond to user feedback more quickly than it did before and that Update 1 hints at a "more aggressive schedule" it plans to keep going forward. And on that note, Update 1 does deliver, especially given its fourth month development time. In it, Microsoft address those complains it can, but it leaves others—the oft-complained about need for a Start menu option and of course floating Metro windows—for the future. So it is in effect a step forward.

As I've noted, Update 1 isn't perfect, and that step forward bit also means that it's not the full vision for the future, but is rather just partway there. But none of the problems are insurmountable, and many of the things I complain about here won't bother others.

Overall, I'm just happy to see the Windows team pick up the baton of "rapid release cycle" and really run with it. And it's very clear that by continuing to provide feedback, we can materially impact Windows and ensure that it's the product we expect. That alone signals a new era, and a new sense of hope.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is highly recommended. You should upgrade as soon as possible.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-update-1-review

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, I know I said I was done with this but I just can't help myself :D

First off, Mucks, that site you linked to - you sure? Not like you old son, thought you had some integrity, that site is a pile of poo poo.

Lemme see - Win 7 - released October 22nd 2009, cost me £35 on a pre-order from Currys of all places, a few flaws on release, one service pack so far, running smooth, age 53 months, excellent current hardware support.

Win 8 - released October 26th 2012, age 17 months, would have cost me around £90 for an OEM copy on release. Generally agreed confusing for those using keyboard and mouse and even for some using touchscreen. Security improvements and slight performance increase cautiously welcomed. Many users buying a laptop with Win 8 installed were dismayed the BIOS had been 'fixed' so only Win 8 would run on their new machine.

When the user can finally get their head round how to use Win 8 it is generally agreed it's stable and works fine and support for new hardware is up to date.

Thing is though, it was foisted upon an unsuspecting public just three years after the release of Win 7 and then it took Microsoft well over a year to finally admit they'd released a turkey and rewrote the OS in a desperate bid to sell Apps through their Store, oops, I mean keep the public happy.

Too little too late, my Redmond friends, Win 7 is still supported, works fine for me and I await the next OS offering with some curiosity, be it named Win 9; Galileo or Up Yer Bum.

And gentlemen, anybody can argue a point by quoting text from websites. Anybody can set up a website, give it a fancy title, profess to know what they are talking about and then give an opinion. And as such most of the guff they spout out there is worthless and should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

Let's put it this way, as far as I'm concerned Microsoft have missed the boat for me to use Win 8 but if somebody gave me a copy for nothing I'd probably use it.

This assertion, however, does not stop me being incredibly cheesed off with Microsoft and the Win 8 debacle has raised my distrust of them up a notch.

btw, does Win 8 have the Pinball game? Good game that was, Win XP it was big magic for this boy, he use profusely at time, much enjoy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think the quicker release dates are going to be the norm, They want to release a new OS sooner and cheaper apparently, time will tell. I cant remember the term off the top of my head right now, but its like lifecycle or some other buzz word.

Will be interested to see what comes of Win 9.... Metro 2.0?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Got my update last night, ~850Mb. Nothing major, doesn't really affect the way I use the PC, still waiting on the 'new' start button thats coming later. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cant say i suffered anything like that. mine went though without a hitch.

Download was a little slow, but everyone was trying to download it at the same time. iOS updates, Steam etc are all the same! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Glad all went well for you V_R but there again you're savvy with what's going on.

How many less knowledgeable Win 8/8.1 users will not realise there's a time limit to update?

PS: I was sozzed when I posted above, you'll note the slightly bitter/mocking tone creeping in there ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Must admit I didn't know there would be a time limit to install it, will have a read around about that. As for it being mandatory, imo, thats a good thing. Wasn't the XP SP's mandatory too? I forget now.

...and you, drunk on a friday night? Who would have thought it! :D

Reaction score
This is one reason I am looking to download Zorin, I am fed up with Microsoft not unable to build a decent working OS and the cost of it, it is a rip off

Reaction score
:(Downloaded Zorin sorry all you penguine people but it is a no no for ordanary Windows users. I stupidly did not dual boot took it off and now my C drive wont boot and dosent show up. So had to go out and spend £115 to get MS 8.1 to be able to get back on line. Good job I had some spare drives. Dam MS and PC World.Bahh Humbug!!!!!!!!!!!!**********************:wall::cry::wall::cry:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In future bootneck02, before you splash out big money ask for help here.

You didn't have to buy Win 8.1, you could have re-installed Win 7 with some guidance from members here and Win 8 can be had for around £75 and then updated via downloads to Win 8.1.

Having said that, enjoy your new Operating System, I'm sure once you become familiar with it you'll like it :)

If you're not entirely happy with it try installing free software 'Classic Shell'.

Ask a Question