Win Explorer refreshes every 5 seconds

Andy D

I have winxp pro, and when I'm in win explorer trying to find job files, the screen appears to blink or refresh every 5 sec.
It's really annoying. Is there a way to control this?

fyi- I'm on a 10-station peer to peer network, and a T1 internet,

Andy

Vanguardx

Andy D said:
I have winxp pro, and when I'm in win explorer trying to find job
files, the screen appears to blink or refresh every 5 sec.
It's really annoying. Is there a way to control this?

fyi- I'm on a 10-station peer to peer network, and a T1 internet,

Andy

Did you use Outlook or Word? If so, and if you supposedly have exited
those programs, use Task Manager to see if remnant outlook.exe or
winword.exe processes are still running. Microsoft has yet to fix the
problem of these programs hanging when they try to shutdown so they end
up stuck in memory (and cause several problems). Also, close Internet
Explorer and see if there are still any instances of iexplore.exe
running.

Andy D

I use Outlook Express for email, and I rarely use Word.
I'm an Autocad draftman, so I have Autocad open all the time.
I don't want to have to shut all my prog down viewing in Windows Explorer.
There's got to be a reason for the 5 second refresh.
Keep in mind, this is Windows Explorer that I'm talking about, not Internet Explorer.
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, open up Win Explorer and press F5.
This refreshes the screen. This is what mine does every 5 seconds. I see the purpose, but
it gets annoying when you constantly use Win Explorer. There has to be a setting in the registry
somewhere.

"Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message | "Andy D" <[email protected]>
| wrote in | > I have winxp pro, and when I'm in win explorer trying to find job
| > files, the screen appears to blink or refresh every 5 sec.
| > It's really annoying. Is there a way to control this?
| >
| > fyi- I'm on a 10-station peer to peer network, and a T1 internet,
| >
| > Andy
|
| Did you use Outlook or Word? If so, and if you supposedly have exited
| those programs, use Task Manager to see if remnant outlook.exe or
| winword.exe processes are still running. Microsoft has yet to fix the
| problem of these programs hanging when they try to shutdown so they end
| up stuck in memory (and cause several problems). Also, close Internet
| Explorer and see if there are still any instances of iexplore.exe
| running.
|
| --
| ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
| Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Vanguardx

Andy D said:
I use Outlook Express for email, and I rarely use Word.
I'm an Autocad draftman, so I have Autocad open all the time.
I don't want to have to shut all my prog down viewing in Windows
Explorer.
There's got to be a reason for the 5 second refresh.
Keep in mind, this is Windows Explorer that I'm talking about, not
Internet Explorer.
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, open up Win Explorer
and press F5.
This refreshes the screen. This is what mine does every 5 seconds. I
see the purpose, but
it gets annoying when you constantly use Win Explorer. There has to
be a setting in the registry
somewhere.

Explorer won't automatically refresh unless a folder has been updated
(by a change in its files). There is an event when a folder gets
updated (and how some utilities, like GoBack, detect when a file has
changed to then make an immediate backup of it). So some folder in the
list you are displaying in Explorer is getting updated. For example,
you could have some program doing downloads of binary attachments from
newsgroup posts and each attachment is a different file saved in a
folder that is in the tree list you have displayed. Since the contents
of the folder are getting updated then so, too, does Explorer have to
get periodically refreshed to [eventually] get in sync. Another example
is if you have mapped drives showing in Explorer and those networked
devices are getting constantly updated; see
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816375.

Does this flicker only occur when you have certain programs running? If
not, and with no applications open (i.e., having windows on the screen),
see the flicker occurs if you only open Explorer (but collapse all tree
nodes). If it still flickers then start killing processes in Task
Manager or stopping services in Services.msc until it stops.

Andy D

Thanks Vanguardx,
I'll test this out and post back the results.

> [...]
| folder that is in the tree list you have displayed. Since the contents
| of the folder are getting updated then so, too, does Explorer have to
| get periodically refreshed to [eventually] get in sync. Another example
| is if you have mapped drives showing in Explorer and those networked
| devices are getting constantly updated; see
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816375.
|
| Does this flicker only occur when you have certain programs running? If
| not, and with no applications open (i.e., having windows on the screen),
| see the flicker occurs if you only open Explorer (but collapse all tree
| nodes). If it still flickers then start killing processes in Task
| Manager or stopping services in Services.msc until it stops.
|
| --
| ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
| Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Well, with your info, I think I've found the culprit.
It's my mapped network drive to the server.
Now I have to figure out whether to keep it or not, but at least I know what
was causing the constant refresh.
Thanks for your insight.
Andy