Wifi

Reaction score
Keep losing my wifi on my Dell Inspiron laptop running Win10. Have no problem with my android phone or ipad. Did a restore to my laptop, but didn't help. Thanks Keith

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you reset your router?

Yes, I know that sounds illogical, but I had a similar issue and resetting the router solved the problem. :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It may also be worth updating your wifi drivers and disable the power management feature. If you go to device manager > find the wifi device > right click it > properties > power management and then untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

How is the signal strength at your PC location? As well as reseting the router, is there anything you can do to tweak the wifi strength (i.e. are you using an optimum wifi channel, is tx power set to high, etc...).

Reaction score
I had forgotten I haven't had to reset this voice modem before, so did. As of now, it seems to have done the trick, so we'll see. Thanks you guys.

Reaction score
Just out of interest why would resetting the router change anything for a specific device? I can understand a diver change on the device but a reset?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Just out of interest why would resetting the router change anything for a specific device? I can understand a diver change on the device but a reset?

The way I was taught is a router is a bit like a seive. The router has many many ports and over time they get blocked and can cause problems with WiFi etc. Re-setting the router is a bit like unblocking those ports. The way I was taught might be wrong, but re-setting has always helped for me

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score

I told you it was illogical. :D I think it's all about quantum physics where illogicality reigns and ANYTHING can happen. In a computer there are billions of transactions every second so if there's a probability of, say, 20 billion to 1 that something strange may happen then that thing will probably happen at some point. So, every now and then your PC unexpectedly cuts out or your router stops working logically and we curse and kick the machinery. :D

But sometimes it works.

Reaction score
resetting the modem did not cure the problem, so I just tried Ian's advice. (Power Mgt).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent, I hope it stays working - let us know if not and we'll see what else can be done :).

Reaction score
it must be a problem with the dell inspiron...

I got a new inspiron a few weeks ago when my asus bit the dust (1year 1week old).... I have clean installed windows 10 pro 64bit and all the relevant drivers.

Now the damn thing locks and drops internet.... its not the router, all the other computers work perfectly.. it MUST be the inspiron but I don't know what

Resetting the wifi, router, etc does nothing... it has to be rebooted.... or should I say it "normally" needs rebooting... sometimes it starts again

sorry to be of no help... it can be perfect all day or disappear in a few minutes

malcolm

Reaction score
FIXED (for now)... dell say they'll look for a solution to the problem with the latest bios and drivers... until then this is the advice

<1. Click on the link below and flash the bios on the machine. Unplug all external peripherals and ensure only the charger is plugged in. https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03881232M/1/DS-1.0.8.exe 2. Click on the link below , download and save the wireless drivers to the desktop https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03653293M/1/_Network_Driver_YNRPF_WN32_10.0.0.339_A01.EXE 3. Open device manager and uninstall the wireless drivers listed under network adapter. Put a check on box to complete delete the driver 4. Restart the system and install the wireless driver saved in the desktop>

malcolm

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back Malcolm, that's a big help :).

Reaction score
OK its NOT a help....

bios rolled back and drivers replaced.... after a week it STILL s out wifi after anything from a few minutes to a few hours (mainly in the 10 to 30 minute range) but SOMETIMES it works perfectly.

I'll get back to dell me-thinks

malcolm

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Malcolm. Hopefully Dell with have another solution :). Please let us know how it goes.

FKA

Reaction score
Kept losing the wifi connection to my Epson XP-215 printer.
Usually after using a severe cleaning program on my laptop.
I would only recommend this solution if you have the original installation CD

Anyway, I succeeded in re-establishing the wifi connection by first switching off the printer and removing the connection cable to my laptop.
Uninstalling ALL previously installed Epson software, using the uninstall program facility found in the
'Control Panel' of my Windows 10 OS.

Next, inserted the original CD and followed all the instructions for new installation of the printer.
Wifi connection now works for me. Hope this post helps someone else.

Reaction score
re dell inspiron losing wifi

I clean installed win10 but eventually gave it up..... no matter what I did, or dell suggested, I couldn't get the drivers to work and the fn keys were allways dead.

SO I did a factory install of the system (from the original image on disc0, sect 4... luckily my data is NOT stored on the c: drive.

However.... it booted perfectly and ran for an hour and wifi died AGAIN.... so I re-installed the factory install and this time created a restore point.... I tried installing my extras and printer etc... all followed by a restore point... after a couple of hours wifi died.... I went back one restore point at a time and eventually wifi was still crapping out after an interval of 5mins to 4hrs...

I wound it back to the factory install point, opened task manager from msconfig and disabled everything that said "dell" .... it has been stable ALL DAY....

It would appear that the problem comes with the first dell update... why? I don't know... but I'm going to plague dell support until I find an answer

for now.... its ok on a limited reboot with all the dell bits disabled... only oddity is the keyboard has decided to swap some letters over but it probably only needs the keyboard re-configuring.

malcolm

Ask a Question