why do *I* flood ?

Valerie

Indeed!

where's the fun and adventure in that? there is always going to be
something useful in my floods that no one has here has tried but may
turn out to be a group favorite down the road, correct? I can think of
a few programs that became acf favorites due to my floods. :)

No one needs you for adventure! Anyone can visit freeware sites, see
lists of programmes, download software and try it. Amazing, isn't it?
Freeware sites usually provide at least some information, you don't,
and the other multicrap posters don't either. No one needs your, or
anyone else's, flood of crap. Simply posting names of programmes is
superfluous, posting information about sofware one has evaluated can
be useful.

Valerie

Maxx Pollare

The voice of "ProteanThread" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...
IMHO, easier to read the said subjects of multiple posts rather
than one post for multiple programs, is it not?

Only if you keep a standerd method in your subject so anyone own
doesn't want to see it can filter them out...

Personaly I'm pike to see an [ANN] tag on all such floods (and not
trimed by any replies), but I don't speak for the group as a whole.

Go have a chat tramp, and any other "junk" posters.
Perhaps you all can agree on something...

Maxx Pollare

The voice of "Gert van der Kooij" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

Second vote for "[FYI]"...

That way you're post can not only be collected together, but also
Ignored/DownScoered/Filtered by any Usenet client using the same
principle as "[OT]" threads.

ceed

A flooder with a bad attitude that talks like a TROLL...

I see posters referred to as "trolls" a lot in this and other newsgroup.
Why this term? Is there a story behind it? As a Norwegian (now living in
Austin, TX USA) trolls were a part of my childhood through the Norwegian
fairly tales read to me. Trolls were big and bad and not always very
clever mythical night creatures. They exploded if hit by sunshine. Are
these trolls the basis for the term when used here?

Iain Cheyne

ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com
wrote in news:blush:p.slxjuod621xk10@bob:
I see posters referred to as "trolls" a lot in this and other
newsgroup. Why this term? Is there a story behind it? As a Norwegian
(now living in Austin, TX USA) trolls were a part of my childhood
through the Norwegian fairly tales read to me. Trolls were big and
bad and not always very clever mythical night creatures. They
exploded if hit by sunshine. Are these trolls the basis for the term
when used here?

http://www.google.com/search?q=troll usenet

Ibn Battuta

Chaos Master said:
I suggest you to make a big listing (say, 50 programs) then post.
"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
-- Amy Lee

For someone whose handle is Chaos Master, you sure seem to be put out with
the
occassional flood. Can't handle the chaos? And if your sig promotes the "I
can do
what the hell I want!" attitude, why try and stop others from doing what
they want?

As Protean suggests: deal with it

Mel

Valerie said:
No one needs you for adventure! Anyone can visit freeware sites, see
lists of programmes, download software and try it. Amazing, isn't it?
Freeware sites usually provide at least some information, you don't,
and the other multicrap posters don't either. No one needs your, or
anyone else's, flood of crap. Simply posting names of programmes is
superfluous, posting information about sofware one has evaluated can
be useful.

Valerie

I concur. The OP has been in my killfile for some time. I only
have 3 entries and they are all "contributors" to this group.

Freeware sites provide this information in a much more usable form:
sorted into categories, often with user reviews, can be searched, and
list a choice of programs on the same page that you can easily navigate
back to if the first program you download doesn't measure up.

This newsgroup is useful because people talk about programs
they have actually tried, tested and found useful, eliminating a lot
of spyware and crap.

Flooding this group simply drowns out the useful posts. If
this is so desirable, it could be done better with a simple program
that could completely swamp the newsgroup with pointless posts
of programs automatically extracted from freeware sites.

Mel

ceed said:
I see posters referred to as "trolls" a lot in this and other newsgroup.
Why this term? Is there a story behind it? As a Norwegian (now living in
Austin, TX USA) trolls were a part of my childhood through the Norwegian
fairly tales read to me. Trolls were big and bad and not always very
clever mythical night creatures. They exploded if hit by sunshine. Are
these trolls the basis for the term when used here?

Perhaps it comes from the fishing term troll - to draw a bait or
lure through water to attract a fish?

Iain Cheyne

ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com
wrote in news:blush:p.slxlg3mv21xk10@bob:

Seen that. Thanks. I was wondering more about where the term troll in
this context came from in the first place. Most likely it would be
from my childhood mythical ones, or even more likely through games?

I suppose it must be from the trolls in Dungeons and Dragons. Evil, ugly
monsters who regenerate and come back at you. Only fire and acid worked, if
I recall correctly. I can think of a few usenet trolls who deserve some of
that treatment. ;o)

Rob Kelk

Seen that. Thanks. I was wondering more about where the term troll in this
context came from in the first place. Most likely it would be from my
childhood mythical ones, or even more likely through games?

The derivation I'd heard (and the one popular in the news.* hierarchy)
is that it's from fishing - one trolls for bites, and reels in whatever
takes the bait. Hence the "Standard Advice" to ignore trolls, so that
you're not the one reeled in.

Bjorn Simonsen

(ProteanThread) wrote in
a few reasons:

I've seen all kinds of silly justifications for stupid and disruptive
behavior, ProteanThread just presented us with another one. Sigh,
those darn hot heads. First these swellheads spinn off in anger, then
they try to justify their actions with some quasi-argument about some
greater cause, the common good and what not.... Funny, but sad...sad
since the behavior desperately in need of justification is exactly
what makes groups like these hard to read and to the point of becoming
useless. It's quite simple really; many or most people still connect
to the net with limited bandwidth, many pay by the minute, and all
(well most) have limited time on their hands... Thus the signal to
noise ratio is a very important factor in deciding what groups to read
and engage in and what not. Adding to the noise does not help anyone
but the few bloated virtual identities that present them selves and
"their mission" here.....

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

(ProteanThread)

Maxx said:
The voice of "Gert van der Kooij" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

Second vote for "[FYI]"...

That way you're post can not only be collected together, but also
Ignored/DownScoered/Filtered by any Usenet client using the same
principle as "[OT]" threads.

or what about [FOUND] ?

Mike Andrade

ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk
..com> wrote in
I see posters referred to as "trolls" a lot in this and other
newsgroup. Why this term? Is there a story behind it? As a
Norwegian (now living in Austin, TX USA) trolls were a part of my
childhood through the Norwegian fairly tales read to me. Trolls
were big and bad and not always very clever mythical night
creatures. They exploded if hit by sunshine. Are these trolls the
basis for the term when used here?
No, though they have been adopted in a way. The term "troll" was
initially "troller" as in fishing. Some fishermen "troll" the water
with bait (drag the bait along hoping a fish will bite). That is
where the term "troller" which eventually got shortened to "troll"
came from. People now associate it with the mythical creatures only
to the extent that they find trolls distasteful.

Mel

So you are saying when someone recommends a site, that the poster try all
the programs? You've always been a plonk candidate.

No of course not... You should download one of the programs and install
it on your computer and have it crash your computer... And you should
spend the next three days recovering from the crash caused by the
untried program that was recommended by him...

When you finally get back up, you bring to his attention in the group,
and his response is... I didn't try the program... Too bad...

Mike Andrade

(ProteanThread) wrote in

[...]
You're an idiot and don't even realize it. Pity.

Mike Andrade

No of course not... You should download one of the programs and
install it on your computer and have it crash your computer... And
you should spend the next three days recovering from the crash
caused by the untried program that was recommended by him...

When you finally get back up, you bring to his attention in the
group, and his response is... I didn't try the program... Too
bad...
Sheesh, how can you be this stupid and still operate a computer?

Bateau

Mike Andrade said:
Of course. The sad thing is that neither of you seem to understand
why your perspective is entirely self-centered.

No, I agree with them. What he is doing is useless and actually makes
this group less useful. When I want a freeware program that does
something specific I often search this group via google for
recommendations for good programs. But half the time the results are all
his bullshit lists.