Windows 8 Who here is using Windows 8?

Reaction score
Hi I have just joined the W8.1 gang don't like the MS start page but otherwise it is fine.;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well for example.... Win8 and Win8.1 supports DX11.1 and BF4 supports DX11.1, but Win7 only supports DX11.0.

http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-benchmark-mp-cpu-gpu-w7-vs-w8-1/11/

The FPS on BF4 with Win8/8.1 is quite noticeable. Sure there are other games out there....

:)

And tell me that's not a deliberate case of throttling back support for Win 7 users in a feeble attempt to get BF4 fans to switch to 8.1.

Microsoft are lower than a submarine's karzi, despicable, rotten and foul.

I will not play their stinking games, they tell me Win 8.1 is their best - it's not!

I have actually been trying Win 8.1 Ultimate 64 Bit, all updates applied with Classic Shell. It's still irritating, though improved on the original pre-release beta I tried all that time ago, I will admit that.

But I still hate it, if I can be bothered, I may post my critique on it but on parting I will just say that the first message that flashes on the start screen after updating is 'You can now buy apps directly from our online store' or words to that effect. Really makes me want to punch somebody.

Reaction score
:eek::mad:Reinstalling Windows 7 :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:I now can understand why people want to stay with XP. There is no chance I will change my OS until I have done a thorough test on it, when I started using Windows 8.1 I wondered what all the fuss was about. Now I know Windows 8.1 is utter crap Microsoft need to get real and make operating systems for the masses and not just for techies and geeks. I have used XP, Vista, W7 and unfortunately W8.1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows 7 is the new XP.
And Windows 8 is the new Vista.

Haven't checked out Win10 preview yet, but I think MS has a lot riding on it. I hope 10 overcomes 8's awkwardness and isn't just further reason to stay put on Windows 7.

And my curiosity hasn't been deep enough to try and learn why they skipped Windows 9.

XP still has something like 20% desktop marketshare. I wish MS would just bite it and move everyone to the newest OS. For developers, it's a big pita to support all of these legacy Windows systems.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Win 9 was skipped so's to avoid confusion with Win 98. Put 'Win 9' in a search engine to illustrate this point.

Reaction score
I'm using most things at home.... I have a MacBook for work and a Fedora Laptop for school. I have, however, installed Windows 8.1 on my gaming desktop I built late last year. My main reason for it is that doing a lot of Sys Admin work, I wanted to immerse myself in what is basically Server 2012R2 because I'm going to need that for work regardless of my personal preference at home. I've found the experience to be not that big of a deal if you're a keyboard person, like myself. Most of the ways to access thing with the keyboard is unchanged.

Reaction score
Against my better judgement I have reinstalled W8 64bit and have been running the thing for the last couple of weeks. Now I have got used to it I quite like it but it took a bit of perseverance but to be honest I prefer W7 and now looking forward to W10 and stick with W8 until W10 comes out.:eek:

Reaction score
Having now run Windows 10 since it came out I am thinking that I might dual boot with Zorin 10 64 bit or Makulu 10 64 bit as I think I must persivere with a Linux system as I do not trust Microsoft with their policy of updates as they are automatic and the user is not sure what the have done to their settings and I am doubious about their spying on users and what they do with that information as I do not want adverts popping up, or personel passed to all and sundry without my knowedge or permission.

Reaction score
I'm sticking with Win7 until i next upgrade and the go to Win10 which by then will have had 1 or 2 service packs.
Might do like Bootneck and dual boot Windows with Linux.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm sticking with Win7 until i next upgrade and the go to Win10 which by then will have had 1 or 2 service packs.
Might do like Bootneck and dual boot Windows with Linux.

What are you thinking of penguin wise ? :cool:

Reaction score
What are you thinking of penguin wise ? :cool:
Not sure got Zorin on USB Drive and an old version of Ubunutu on Flash Drive.
The next PC probably late 2016 will be 8 Core for Crunching, Win 10 & Linux Dual Boot.
Probably a self built as i miss the self built PC- you put what you want in it!!!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reaction score
Just grow a pair and install it, you keep saying that. :D
I'm not sold on Windows 10 and sceptical on why Bill is giving it away, free.
I will end up having to migrate to it but will do it in my own time & pace.
As for growing a pair i think i did that with the Military years ago!!!:p

Ask a Question