Windows 8: RIP, Aero (2003-2012)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Zema Bus, May 20, 2012.

1. Zema Bus

Zema Bus

This is basically a follow up to my post in April about the changes planned for the Windows 8 UI. Paul Thurrott does a great job of extracting and deciphering the information buried in the Microsoft blogs. Keep in mind that Paul Thurrott has been what most would consider to be a Windows fan boy, and has had his winsupersite up since the 90's as proof of that. And though he is frequently very critical of Microsoft's antics and practices, this has got to be the most down I have ever seen him of Windows. The second quoted block of text below really illustrates what's likely going on here. Personally I'm not concerned - I use Linux for most of what I do, Windows 7 which I use for games will be supported for a long time, and Steam is working on adding support for Linux anyway. I'm just fascinated by the Microsoft train-wreck :)

[​IMG]
    Read the whole article which includes some screen shots at Winsupersite.com

Attached Files:

Zema Bus, May 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Zema Bus

muckshifter Captain Crunchie, Retired Moderator

me too ... wonder how long we can hold on to Win7, before Win9 surfaces. :)

muckshifter, May 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Zema Bus

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

If Steam make games work in Linux I think that may very well be the turning point for me.

The greater majority of Games now work in Steam, rivals like EA/Origin I could live without anyway.

Apart from games, the only software I need in Windows is MS Publisher, to open all my saved Publisher files. And as I have all the pictures needed to create those files saved I could actually re-create them in Scribus, an open source program similar to Publisher that works in Linux.

Optimistically yours - a Windows user who praised Win 7 only to watch Microsoft seemingly shoot themselves in the foot with it's successor.

floppybootstomp, May 20, 2012
  4. Zema Bus

Abarbarian Acruncher VIP Member

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2012/05/02/the-document-foundation-announces-libreoffice-3-5-3/

or

http://www.ehow.com/how_5904358_open-_pub-document-openoffice.html

I'm guessing you might be able to do that with Libre Office as well.

:cool:

Abarbarian, May 20, 2012
  5. Zema Bus

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

No go with Publisher files I'm afraid :( I gave a Publisher file a 'doc' file extension and Libre Office turned it's nose up at it. I don't currently have Open Office installed anywhere so haven't tried that.

Still, good to know they're working on it.

Publisher is one of the few good things Microsoft have got right, it's better than Scribus but it is still Microsoft of course. I've been using Publisher since '97.

It wouldn't neccessarily be a drawback to choosing a Linux Distro as main OS though, I have three paid for versions of Windows here - XP, Vista & 7. I also have a machine that will take a variety of hard disks in a caddy (I currently have four disks to swap in and out) so I will probably always have one version of Windows running should I need it, and for Publisher I would need it.

Nope, it's just games. 'Wine' is useless, flawed software and kinda pointless. If Steam get it together to make Windows games work in Linux, not only will they have my undying admiration but they will also make themselves considerably richer.

floppybootstomp, May 21, 2012
  6. Zema Bus

Ian Administrator

I'm really puzzled by Windows 8 - as there are some really good new features, but I really dislike the new interface. I always assumed that they just forced the metro interface for the preview editions, but that there would be a way to go back to Aero on a desktop machine.

It's not long until the RC is out, so I guess we'll find out a bit more then. Fingers crossed there have been some GUI improvements.

Ian, May 21, 2012
  7. Zema Bus

Abarbarian Acruncher VIP Member

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13121

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/986002-opening-up-pub-files-in-ubuntu/

Top tip should work in Libre. If thems do not work you'll just have to wait or use crayons and paper. :lol:

Abarbarian, May 21, 2012
  8. Zema Bus

Zema Bus

Here's Paul Thurrott and Leo Laporte discussing the "dumbening" (of Windows 8) in this podcast:

Zema Bus, May 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements