Windows 8 Who here is using Windows 8?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Having seen the video that Mr Mucks put on this page I certainly would NOT repeat NOT install W8 as it would appear to not be PC user friendly and in fact crap

In allhonesty when I watched the first few minutes of that video, all I could think of is PEBKAC

Reaction score
I thought it was a well balanced and well thought out criticism of the OS, as a non techie I think it would have flummoxed me. The whole idea should be that a OS should be user friendly and easy to operate and from what I have read W8 is not, come on Microsoft sort your self out otherwise we will all become Linux users or even worse Mac users:cry: if we could all afford a Mac :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I disagree, I don't fear change at all, in fact most times I welcome change - if that change is for the better. And there's the rub, is Win 8 better than Win 7, XP or Vista? General consensus says no it isn't.

Of course there's masses of Microsoft fanboys out there proclaiming it's greatness but they are the sort of folk who if Steve Bulmer whacked them upside the head with half a brick they'd say 'Thank you Steve' cos they automatically assume anything Microsoft does is greatness personified.

These fanboys say things like 'It's ok when you get used to it' or even worse 'You must be a bit stupid if you can't understand it'. That makes a whole lotta stupid people out there then.

Those who argue the changes 'under the hood' are worth buying Win 8 for are wrong imo, very wrong. In making the jump from Win 7 to Win 8 Microsoft have concentrated mostly on changing the GUI and underneath the new fascia is basically Win 7 with SP2 applied.

Microsoft obviously felt that appealing to those who like the OS's on tablets & mobile phones would lap up Win 8 by the truckload but what they've failed to comprehend is that the majority of MS OS users are desktop, laptop or corporate users.

And then there's touch screen. At arm's length? FFS! When using touch screen on your mobile, you can just rub all those greasy paw prints off on your clothing, it's a bit difficult doing that with a 24" monitor though. How many of us have struggled to keep people sploshing their fingers all over our monitors, especially children's greasy paws, to save us having to clean it daily?

And now MS want us to prod our monitors every time we use their confounded new system.

Oooooo, can you all sense my temperature rising as I type this? Heehee ;)

About the only light at the end of the tunnel is that there lots of mods made by third party users that will let you run Win 8 much the same as Win 7. Which means you've just laid out full whack for a new OS that's very little changed from your previous OS.

So there we go, Mr Flops' assertions on Win 8. They should have left the UI alone and released SP2 for Win 7. But that wouldn't have made the richest company in the world any richer would it?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It used to make it my job to know what the new incineration (sic) of an operating system MS were bringing out next, I was a systems builder, I needed to know before my 'customer' what was, and wasn't, going to work. Customers always referred to their computer as 'your computer' when something went wrong.

I remember Win 95 very vividly ... there were very few manufactures that had ANY drivers ready. It was, however, very intuitive. Press the start button. :)

Win 8 has very little going for it from a PC users perspective, even running games are of no benefit, so no incentive there. MS has made a big decision in moving away from PCs.

There are many improvements that have been made to the Windows 8 core, these are motivated by Microsoft's desire to have Windows be the next best thing for the tablet operating system. Not a thought to us PC users, we don't need to be as power efficient as a Tablet, Laptop, Notebook or phone.

Win 8 uses less memory, preserves power, doesn't actually shut down so it can keep in contact with aliens. W8 makes extensive use of the sandbox, so programs are restricted, even IE 10, well one of the IE 10s are ... I could go on and on.

No, I didn't just fire it up and dismiss it as crap, it is a rather good operating system, under the hood ... I just couldn't make it do what I want it to ... I almost can on Linux, and W7 is a breeze. :)

I really does look fugly. :nod:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Glad I got 8 when I did. Did the download and have the disk for one day when I might use 8

Attachments

• 8.png
    8.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 245

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have 8 Windows in my cabin :D

I am surprisingly reminded of that smash hit pop song performed admirably by the vocal combo known as the New Christy Minstrels, who enjoyed a great deal of popularity during the 1960's and shared chart space with The Tornadoes and Frank Ifield, amongst others.

Their biggest success was a rather rousing choral work with the title 'Three wheels on my wagon'. Oh, how we chortled.

And it's here, avid reader, that the cunning link is made between the two - Windows 8, so they say, is remarkably akin to a horse drawn flatback transport device with only a trio of wheels to support it - it will get you there but it will be a bumpy ride :)

Reaction score
Having tried 8 on a friends laptop I whole hardheartedly agree with Flops, unfortunately you cannot be all things to all men, PC & laptops, Mobile phones thingies and tablets.

Reaction score
Me i am on windows 8 and to be honest it isn't that great no wonder there is no rush to answers here,i used to have Windows XP which is the best in my opinion.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, i've had my first real go at W8 this week.

New Asus Laptop for the other half, Its actually not that bad. The whole metro/tile thing is 100% pointless without a touchscreen. Really dont understand why it wasn't an addon or maybe an option during install/setup.

I'm going to put 8.1 on it tonight, and maybe (read probably) install one of the start button replacers, like Classic Shell, Startisback, Start8.

Still tempted to put it on my main machine purely for the performance improvements, but only after more playing and testing..... :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Seriously considering W8 now....

Might do a fresh install of it soon. Do we have any W8 users here?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have 8.1 on my Acer Travelmate 5520. I have no problem with it. 99% of the time it is on the desktop and not the silly metro. And my steam games play better I think.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah the other half's laptop is 8.1, I've alread installed Classic Shell (Start button) and once ou do that is not too bad. If i could uninstall Metro though, i would.

Thats my reasoning ofr considering it. Cant deny the performance benefits, both OS and application wise....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yeah the other half's laptop is 8.1, I've alread installed Classic Shell (Start button) and once ou do that is not too bad. If i could uninstall Metro though, i would.

Thats my reasoning ofr considering it. Cant deny the performance benefits, both OS and application wise....

Do you have a noticeable difference in game play ?
I only use Windows 7 for games these days so major gaming improvements would be the only possible tempter for me.
I'll keep running 7 till it is no longer viable then I'll probably go penguin full time. :cool:

Ask a Question