When computer powers up, can't get to BIOS, or start up Windows.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's very possible that a temp of 66C could be causing all your problems, especially if that's the temp at idle. As soon as you start using some CPU-intensive software, that's likely to hit 70C, which is often the switch off point for some CPU related software or it may be set to that in the Bios.

What cooling are you using? Which CPU cooler/fan do you have and what case fans are you using? Do you know which thermal compound was used between the CPU and cooler?

I think you're definitely going to have to address the cooling issue here.

Reaction score
My Athlon 2100 would regulary hit 80 degrees while gaming and not crash...

...I'd say that 66 in BIOS isnt too good though :(

Reaction score
I didn't put together the computer myself, so I don't know what kind of case fans it is using. But it would appear the CPU cooler is an AMD one? It's green, and says AMD.

Regarding the temperatures, I left the computer off for a few hours, and turned it back on. I went into PC Health right away, and looked at the CPU temperature, and it registered 55 degrees. At the time, it still couldn't boot. Is 55 degrees still too hot for an idling computer?

Reaction score
55 Shouldn't be too high at all. I hate intermittent faults in PC's. Chuck it in the bucket and buy a new one! J/K. Did you try what was first suggested? Disconnect all the cables and try and start it up. See if it starts every time and then you can put things back on one at a time until you isolate the problem. Also, if you dont use your modem then you might as well take it out while you are in there.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The CPU will be 55C on start up, it's cooled down. Give it ten minutes and it'll be back at 65C probably.

Despite AMD CPU's having a theoretical threshold of 90C before they go to ground zero, an ideal operating temp is anything at 50C or under on CPU full usage.

And Chris, you may have run your CPU at 80C, but it really isn't recommended.

I've seen - and experienced myself - systems randomly rebooting if they go above 60C.

Before this thing goes any further, I'd strongly suggest trying to lower the CPU temp.

Get yourself some thermal compound from PC World or somewhere, or even better order some Arctic Silver thermal compound from an online supplier such as overclock.co.uk. Remove the cooler, carefully clean off the remains of the heatpad that came with the stock AMD cooler from the heatsink surface and if neccessary, the CPU core, then refit using Arctic Silver 5.

Use a flat wooden surface (a lolly stick will do, or a small piece of 25mm square wood) to clean off the heatsink surface and some meths and clean cloth.

If you need further help, assistance or advice, post again and ask for help.

Reaction score
OK, I'm set on cooling down the CPU now. I had it running in XP just now, and it suddenly reboot, and I saw the CPU temps at 70 degrees.

However, I'm absolutely clueless on how to apply thermal compound. Nor do I see where it is. Can I just get a better fan? I dont' want to mess around with scraping stuff off in case I scrape off something important.

BTW, I've taken everything out and put it all back in one by one to see if it works. Nothing happens. Actually, there's nothing I can take out except my cd-wrter and my floppy. It's pretty much a no-nonsense PC.

Reaction score
if anyone wonders about the best way to clean thermal compound of a CPU with a metal heatspeader (like the P4 Northwood)...

... a school erasor....

i used one to get the sticky remains off my chip and it worked suprisingly well!

Reaction score
OK, I just took apart the fan, and looked at the motherboard manual on how to install the heatsink and fan. However, I can't figure out how to remove it. It seems to clip onto the board, and I can't pry off the heatsink. It's got two clips that clip underneath some piece of plastic. I tried pushing it in with a screw driver to no avail.

Reaction score
theres a knack to AMD coolers... you need to prise of a clip on one end with a screwdriver. Thought dont do all this until you have replacement compound.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, have a look Here

And Here

For all relevant articles, look Here

That’s just one guide available on the net, it’s from another forum I take part in.

Maybe not the best guide in the world, but it covers the basics.

For other guides, do a Google.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
In a word - no. You will however, after resetting CMOS need to enter BIOS on next boot, and check everything is as it should be. Just go through all sections and it should be self-explanatory. Those sections you don't understand - leave alone.

Entering BIOS on boot is usually done by hitting either of the two 'del' key as it boots, watch out for the prompt. Some systems use the F2 key but if you watch screen as it starts it will tell you anyway.
hi floppy,sorry to interupt, i cant get to my bios,ive tried f buttons and del but still nothing,any other way to get to it regards jim newby

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
jimmycc said:
hi floppy,sorry to interupt, i cant get to my bios,ive tried f buttons and del but still nothing,any other way to get to it regards jim newby

They're the only two methods I know of.

Perhaps somebody else here could give a pointer.

Reaction score
I think I'm having this problem... not sure though.

As the title says, I think I'm having this problem as well, but reluctant to take apart my laptop till I know this is probably what it is. Here is a vid I made of the problem. Luckily it turns on and shows something, usually it just powers off and keeps doing that.
That's with me just turning it on,.. I'm not the one restarting it over and over.

EDIT: It's a dv9005us hp pavilion. win 7 operating system. amd cpu. 4 gigs of ram.

Last edited:

Ask a Question