EeePC only powers up for 2 seconds

Reaction score
hello all,

I have a 2-year old EeePC machine and this is the first time it's happened. I cannot power up my machine at all (2 seconds at most). When it shuts itself off, I hear a clicking noise that sounds like an internal device trying to turn on.I've read plenty of posts on this same issue, but didn't see any that mentioned a clicking noise. Could this be the fan I wonder? I've not had the problem before and it will only give me those 2 seconds of power up time if ONLY the batter is in (no power cord).

I've seen others post on the same issue and some of the suggestions I've seen, which I've tried are:

*air compressor to the fan outtake vent
*holding power button in for 30 seconds with battery out
*holding machine upside down and trying to hold power button in

I've tried almost everything! anyone got any suggestions? thanks so much!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Clicking could be and indicator that the hard drive has failed. Surprised that it doesn't try and boot more though :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
it's buggered

You have a "short" somewhere ... :(

If this was a PC I'd suggest you remove the power to the hard drive, some HDs of old had the "click-of-death" associated with them. Swap out PSU, graphics card, sound card, ram, twinklie lights.

Not much I can suggest as I've only ever "dismantled" one "laptop" in my time ... they make pretty doorstops. ;)

good luck!

:user:

Ask a Question