When computer powers up, can't get to BIOS, or start up Windows.

Reaction score
I have already searched the forums for start up problems, but most people had problems with Windows not starting up, but my computer just doesn't boot up at all. The screen just stays black, and I can't turn it off with the power button; I must switch off the power source. After numerous tries, I can occasionally get it to the Windows XP loading screen, but it hasn't gone past it for a few days. A few weeks ago, my computer was fine, except it would suddenly reboot like the power had been switched on and off. I've read other forums, where others had problems with the power source not being large enough. I tried disconnecting my CD writer to lessen the power usage at start up, but it doesn't seem to help.

My computer is an AMD 2400+, with 256mb DDR RAM, 300W power source, 40gb Western Digital hard drive, and some crappy videocard. It runs on WinXP SP2, and currently has only 1 USB device attached, the mouse.

What is most suspect?

Reaction score
When it doesnt start up at all (i.e. when the screen just stays blank) do you get all the usual noises? Do you still get the beep and the sound of the hard drive spinning up?

Reaction score
YOu will probably find your computer will turn off if you hold the power button in for 4/5 seconds...

Try pulling the CCMOS1 jumper to reset the BIOS maybe?

Reaction score
There used to be a beep before XP starts booting up, and it doesn't beep anymore. But I can still hear the fan spinning, not sure about the hard drive because it's pretty quiet.

I'll try the jumper thing as soon as I get home. I assume it's a physical jumper?

Reaction score
yeah, it will be a physical jumper. See which one in your motherboard manual. Try disconnecting all your devices to see whether you get a picture on the screen.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you now have no single beep at startup, it's possible your motherboard has died.

There's a few things you can try (all with computer powered down). Try clearing the Bios with the jumper as Chris suggested; Take out your memory and reseat it, making sure it's home and firm; do the same with the video card.

You could also try disconnecting all optical drives and hard disks temporarily, both power and data cables, and see if the computer will POST then. (POST = Power On Self Test, where it starts so you can enter BIOS).

Reaction score
I had a similar problem - assumed the mobo had died - sent it back and technical dept. tell me the CPU was the part that had failed as the mobo was fine.

I say try what Flops says.

Reaction score
Strange though that it will start up some times. You would think if the motherboard had died then it would either start up or it wouldn't. Def try re-seating everything and disconnecting all the drive cables as mentioned by flopps and see what happens.

Reaction score
Does any1 think it might be the video card if getting a black screen?

I know it should beep a chain of tones at but just a thought.

Reaction score
Ah but when my graphics card was not seated correctly I got the windows screen, but when I restarted the computer from windows or pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL it gave me a blank screen.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
newbuilder said:
Ah but when my graphics card was not seated correctly I got the windows screen, but when I restarted the computer from windows or pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL it gave me a blank screen.
Have you tried what was suggested previously?

If nothing is connected to motherboard and it POST's OK, it would likely be that motherboard/CPU/RAM/Vid card are OK.

If this thing is happening solely within Windows, it's possible you have a software problem. Like maybe a corrupted version of Windows.

Do yourself a favour and go through the motions. It's a case of isolating the fault and proving what's good and what isn't.

btw, also disconnect the floppy drive when testing, forgot to mention that one ;)

Good luck.

Reaction score
I read my motherboard manual regarding the CMOS jumper; it says it will clear the memory to start my OS. I've never set up a motherboard before, so I'm not familiar with this, but does it mean my computer won't boot the OS if i reset the BIOS? As of now, I'm in the processing of taking apart the computer and reseating everything. Hope it works.

Reaction score
OK, reseated my videocard, modem (although I don't use it), also disconnected and reconnected my hard drive, and completely disconnected the floppy. Nothing happens. In about 5 minutes , it went to the screen that it normally shows prior to loading Windows, but then it went dead again. I'm wondering if the hard drive is dead since I can't feel it moving, nor hear any sounds. But then again, I don't know what it is supposed to be like when it's working. Also, I haven't seen the BIOS set up screen at all, even on the few times the computer manges to reach the XP boot up screen. I don't know why; if I recall correctly, it used to show up everytime I boot up my computer.

Also, as the computer is "dead", the monitor would flicker from standby to "on" mode, I don't know if this indicates anything. Also, the light on the reset button which usually flashes when the computer is working seems to be flashing all the time.

Reaction score
aron said:
my computer just doesn't boot up at all. The screen just stays black, and I can't turn it off with the power button; I must switch off the power source. After numerous tries,

Aron, my PC used to do exactly the same thing a a couple of months ago, I had allsorts of Nutty things inside the case.. i had 2 graphics adaptors an AGP Voodoo3500TV and a PCI Banshee.. just so i could get a multi monitor set up ... it was allways unstable and the symptoms were exactly as you explain above....
It was so terrably anoying pressing the power button just to have the demons of hell take control of your PC.. and laugh in your face:(

aron said:
My computer is an AMD 2400+, with 256mb DDR RAM, 300W power source, 40gb Western Digital hard drive, and some crappy videocard. It runs on WinXP SP2, and currently has only 1 USB device attached, the mouse.

What is most suspect?
Aron.. as for what i think is most suspect ... I Think it may be a Hardware Configeration Problem(but im just guessing here Aron and im not the wisest)

Have you changed any hardware recently?

Aron my system started to function correctly after i removed the PCI Graphics adaptor and I binned the idea of a multi monitor... ohh i also pulled a SCSI Adaptor card out (No longer needed).. and some silly and ancient network card

Aron after i pulled all that junk out it was fine....:)

Was there any problems before your PC Failure? ... Conflicts and such like!

Ohhhh i Just remembered i also changed the case (i bought a case with a bust PSU really cheap and just used my old PSU and moved the Motherboard and good Components to the new case..).. the old one had seen better days:)
This is Ironic because now im looking for a case again with hard to find Dimensions.. Ohh Well :(

So i dont know if electrical shorting with case could have been the problem
Well whatever it was it ceased after dig about inside!

Well Best of Luck Arron...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
aron said:
I read my motherboard manual regarding the CMOS jumper; it says it will clear the memory to start my OS. I've never set up a motherboard before, so I'm not familiar with this, but does it mean my computer won't boot the OS if i reset the BIOS? As of now, I'm in the processing of taking apart the computer and reseating everything. Hope it works.
In a word - no. You will however, after resetting CMOS need to enter BIOS on next boot, and check everything is as it should be. Just go through all sections and it should be self-explanatory. Those sections you don't understand - leave alone.

Entering BIOS on boot is usually done by hitting either of the two 'del' key as it boots, watch out for the prompt. Some systems use the F2 key but if you watch screen as it starts it will tell you anyway.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
In a word - no. You will however, after resetting CMOS need to enter BIOS on next boot, and check everything is as it should be. Just go through all sections and it should be self-explanatory. Those sections you don't understand - leave alone.

Entering BIOS on boot is usually done by hitting either of the two 'del' key as it boots, watch out for the prompt. Some systems use the F2 key but if you watch screen as it starts it will tell you anyway.
The funny thing is, I used to see the prompt screen to enter BIOS, but I don't see it anymore. However, as the screen is black, I just keep mashing 'del' until it suddnely pops open the BIOS screen. I left it at the PC Health screen for a few minutes and observed the temperature, and the CPU was hovering between 65-66 degrees celsius, and the system temp was 40, then it again turned off reset without warning. I googled the average temps, and it seems most people were getting 40s, someone even said if they went over 65, their computer would shut off. However, there are counter examples, so I don't know if that's the case.

BTW, thanks for the tips Spooky Mouse, I've tried pulling everything out of my computer, now all that's connected is the floppy (I've tried it without), my only videocard, and the hard drive.

I'm observing the computer right now as we speak, and while it's been on for about 30 minutes, it's accessed the XP booting screen maybe 10 times. I entered the BIOS set up and turned on virus check in the boot sector, and that time, it even entered the XP welcome screen, but then it prompty shut off. Actually, ever since I disconnected and re-connected the floppy drive, it seems to be doing better; at least it can enter the XP boot screen.

Ask a Question