What Phone should Chris get?

Reaction score
My contract is up as of yesterday...

I'm currently with O2 and was paying £30 a month for something like 400 minutes and 1000 texts, and unlimited O2 to O2 calls.

I have seen the following phones:

Sony Ericsson C905 (Free for £35 a month on O2)
Blackberry Storm (Free for £35 a month on Vodafone)
Nokia 5800 - not yet released, but looks like it might be good?

I've never had or used a Blackberry - but this one looks good - and i'd like mobile email. It's a shame O2 aren't doing it.

I've had SE's for years and loved them... the C905 looks nice, and has good reviews!

HELP :)

P.s. I can't afford any more than £35 a month - and for that the phone has to be really cheap or free.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Negotiate and you'll get a very good deal ;) O2 wanted £35/m for a C902, 600 xnet mins, unlimited text plus free 02 to 02 calls - Bex negotiated for a few mins and got it for £20/m, so I'm sure you'll be able to knock those prices above down :nod:

You can get free iPhones (refurbished) on a £35/m contract too apparently, but you'd need to call up and double check that.

The C905 is supposed to be excellent for a camera phone :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Get the cheapest pay as you go phone. Learn to use a landline and an answering machine.

Put the remaining £30 into the bank and save up for a really good holiday.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Negotiate and you'll get a very good deal ;) O2 wanted £35/m for a C902, 600 xnet mins, unlimited text plus free 02 to 02 calls - Bex negotiated for a few mins and got it for £20/m, so I'm sure you'll be able to knock those prices above down :nod:

You can get free iPhones (refurbished) on a £35/m contract too apparently, but you'd need to call up and double check that.

The C905 is supposed to be excellent for a camera phone :thumb:

Thats a pretty good discount. O2 have only just reduced the price on the C905 to free so I think it might be a bit more of a struggle. I tried that last time on the P1i (mistake of a phone) and they said "Ok, i'm just cancelling your contract then sir." NO WAIT. I'LL PAY.

Reaction score
I go with what Ian says...If you're after a Blackberry, o2 Blackberyy Pearl is pretty decent little phone..O2 are pretty good when it comes to talking deals with them...C902 is also a cool lil phone..And Se's have decent camera's..
As for Vodafone, to me they're ok, but better for bussiness than yur average Joe..

Reaction score
To clarify, it's the C905 i'm after, not the C902.

The C905 is the one with GPS, WiFi and the 8mp camera.

I prefer the look of the Storm - I might go into the store and have a play. If i get a blackberry, i'd rather have the latest one out as they are both free. I like the screen on the storm too...

My one gripe is going Vodafone. When i go home to Hants, the signal is poor on O2, but poorer on Vodafone. Up here in the city it doesn't matter who I go with...

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
£35 p/m for a mobile :confused: , sorry but i dont pay that much for my Home line , TV and broadband..

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Get he blackberry, i think my samsung u900 or something started off at £35 p/m on an 18 month contract but after 6 months the new rates came out and my deal was now only £25 so i phoned em up saying i can't afford £35 anymore and they said "can you afford £25?", yes and thanks.

All me friends do the same thing, pay £35 for a few months then £25.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was paying £30.00 a month to Carphone Warehouse. When I managed to finally end the contract with those shysters I kept the phone and at the moment pay £20.00 a month for just a Sim card from Virgin.

For that I get 300 minutes to all landline and mobile numbers and 300 texts. 0870, 0845 calls and the like are chargeable. And it's a one month contract so I can change supplier or get a new phone on a contract whenever I like.

Currently have a Samsung G900 which I like a lot. The only SE phone I ever had, about four or five years ago, I really didn't like at all.

I do like the look of the Blackberries but I don't favour Vodafone.

Reaction score
Im with O2

Current contract renewed in August last year is

£24pm

600mins any network and landlines anytime excluding 08 numbers

1000 texts any networks

Free web browsing bolt on worth £7pm with fair use policy

£150 credit per year which covers me for 6month of contract aslong as i dont use all texts and go over talktime

That is an online contract negotiated via telephone called 'Online 40' for a contrat of 12months at a time ;)

I will add though I have been with them for nearly 5years. This August I will push for a new phone aswell LOL

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Im with O2

Current contract renewed in August last year is

£24pm

600mins any network and landlines anytime excluding 08 numbers

1000 texts any networks

Free web browsing bolt on worth £7pm with fair use policy

£150 credit per year which covers me for 6month of contract aslong as i dont use all texts and go over talktime

That is an online contract negotiated via telephone called 'Online 40' for a contrat of 12months at a time ;)

I will add though I have been with them for nearly 5years. This August I will push for a new phone aswell LOL

Thassa good deal :thumb:

I quite like 02, I was with them a year but couldn't get reception where I was living at the time, so changed.

So for another 4 quid a month than what I pay, you get another 300 minutes, another 700 texts and web browsing.

I wouldn't mind web browsing but as I've only been with Virgin 10 months I doubt if I could wangle that out of them. And I never use all my minutes, mostly about 220 minutes a month and five texts at the most on average.

If you like texting and rabbit a lot, that is a real good deal TD :thumb:

Reaction score
My original deal was £30pm - credit then eventually skittled down to the one below

£20pm

500mins
500texts
£100 credit

No web browsing

Now my current one for an xtra £4

Reaction score
You gots a pretty sweet deal there TD!

My £30 a month contract has just been slashed to £20 - because i'm no longer in my 18 month contract period ergo no longer paying for a handset...

BB_Storm_Front_Left271x500.jpg

Or

sony-ericsson-c905-shiho-cyber-shot-detail.jpg

Hmm.

Reaction score
They are nice fones mate.

Problem is dont think you will get one full stop with only a 12month contract less you pay through the teeth for it

Reaction score
Looking at 18 month contracts - that seems to be the way things have gone. My last contract was 18 months.

Reaction score
Yeah O2 do have online 12month contract but they are poo

I was offered an 18month contract and with that offer stood the one i have now however the extra 6month meant I could have had a brand new fone

Might have actually have been the iPhone if i remeber correctly 8GB one?

I said no didnt want to be tied down at all

I was offered really really really cheap internet aswell if I had BT phone lmao

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
ASDA PAYG > I use them great deal >cheep> chirp> chips:D http://www.asda-phones.co.uk/

So could I buy a ASDA sim for £2.48 and then use it in my present old Nokia ? Could I transfer my number ?
If I could buy the sim for £2.48 then I guess I could afford the,

Nokia 2630 £57

Slender, yet full of features the sophisticated, easy to use Nokia 2360 will slip comfortably into your pocket. Its VGA camera boasts x4 zoom, and what's more, you won't have to fumble around with this beauty, its dedicated camera key will help you capture life's precious moments at the touch of a button.

You will never be bored with this phone! Keep entertained with your FM radio while playing on one of three pre-installed games. Java support is extra so you can tailor your gaming experience to suit your needs.

Hmmmmm .

Sorry for hijacking Chris.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question