Windows Vista What is the default type of file that Mapimail opens with?

Reaction score
In an effort to get my Mail Recipient shortcut in the send to menu to open with Outlook 2007, I stupidly changed the default file association from "unknown" to "Outlook." Now, Mail Recipient doesn't show up in the list at all, so I can't send any file to email. Does anyone know what I need to associate the mapimail file type to in order to get this to work again?

Also, I am having trouble adding a shortcut to Outlook in the send to folder, I can create the shortcut and it shows up in the send to menu, but when I select it I get the message "the command line argument is not valid. verify the switch you are using." I don't understand why this doesn't work, because I was able to set this up fine in Windows 2000. If anyone knows why Vista does not support this incredibly useful option, can you please let me know!

Reaction score
I have found a way on Vista to point a shortcut in the sendto menu to Outlook, the shortcut path needs to be as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Note.sendto /a

However, I have still not solved the mystery of the unknown application that Mapimail opens with.

Reaction score
Same problem with mapimail

Hi There.
I got to your message via a search on Google. I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
For a different reason I also altered the file association of mapimail from Unknown Application to Windows Mail, another one of my stupid ideas. I now also have the same problem in the send to section i.e. Mail recipient is no longer showing although the file is in the send to file. In the Admin account all is still ok this only applies to a user account. I have tried system restore and restoring the registry to no avail. Did you ever come up with an answer. I would be very pleased to hear about it if you did.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I've never learned what extension mapimail uses - but I did resolve the problem. I downloaded a program which claimed to fix the issue, I don't usually trust these programs but I was desperate! Unfortunately I forgot where I downloaded the program was as soon as I fixed it, and I fixed this on someone else's computer so I also have no idea what the program was called or how it fixed the problem. Sorry I can't be of any further help...!

Ask a Question