What do you use for clipboard extendability

BoB

In other words, the only differences between CLCL and YC3 are (1) that it
launches programs, and (2) that there is no help file.

I for one don't like the idea of anything that can launch programs from the
clipboard - I can see too many ways that this functionality might be
exploited by people cleverer than I. If I want a program launcher, there are
dozens of them around. So IMHO, this list of functions adds up to a
reccommendation for YC3, and not an endorsement of CLCL. That might change
if someone whose figured out the program writes a reasonable hints/help file
for it, even if it's unofficial. What good is functionality if you don't
know that you've got it - or how to use it?

Mike Bourke

Over the years, I've looked at most all the clipboards even commercial.
I had YC 1.0 installed for the last two years and an earlier version
before that. Recently upgraded to v1043.

Excellent help, just look at the index. I have several Boilerplates
set up for storing different types of info: temp Urls not on tabs or
in bookmarks, forum PW/IDs, Email Addresses not in address book, ToDo,
notes, etc.

I prefer RunIt for launching and I've found no reason to leave YC3.

BoB

Mike Bourke

Over the years, I've looked at most all the clipboards even commercial.
I had YC 1.0 installed for the last two years and an earlier version
before that. Recently upgraded to v1043.

Excellent help, just look at the index. I have several Boilerplates
set up for storing different types of info: temp Urls not on tabs or
in bookmarks, forum PW/IDs, Email Addresses not in address book, ToDo,
notes, etc.

I prefer RunIt for launching and I've found no reason to leave YC3.

BoB

Exactly my point, BoB, Exactly my point. The possible benefits from the
alternative described are entirely too nebulous (and in some cases,
potentially dangerous) for me to leave YC3. Especially if I have to spend
weeks or months trying to figure out how to use the darned software.

Mike

Franklin

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 01:56:38, BoB wrote:
Over the years, I've looked at most all the clipboards even
commercial. I had YC 1.0 installed for the last two years and an
earlier version before that. Recently upgraded to v1043.

Excellent help, just look at the index. I have several
Boilerplates set up for storing different types of info: temp
Urls not on tabs or in bookmarks, forum PW/IDs, Email Addresses
not in address book, ToDo, notes, etc.

I prefer RunIt for launching and I've found no reason to leave
YC3.

However using "boilerplates" (or pre-defined text strings) is rather
clumsy in the free version of Yankee Clipper.

I use YC3 and feel I need a separate "string paster" utlity.

Also the paste function does not allow you to select if you are
pasting into some text boxes or XP file names. You have to use the
last copied data.

David

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 01:56:38, BoB wrote:

However using "boilerplates" (or pre-defined text strings) is rather
clumsy in the free version of Yankee Clipper.

I use YC3 and feel I need a separate "string paster" utlity.

Also the paste function does not allow you to select if you are
pasting into some text boxes or XP file names. You have to use the
last copied data.

I use AllChars as my "string paster". I rarely use a clipboard
extender but CLCL will probably fill the bill for me after I tested it
the other day.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

Franklin

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 01:39:37, David wrote:
I use AllChars as my "string paster". I rarely use a clipboard
extender but CLCL will probably fill the bill for me after I
tested it the other day.

Hi David, I went and installed AllChars but it seems to be a
character map utility for special characters and for that purpose it
seems nice enough.

But where is the function I want which is to be able to paste user-
defined strings?

David

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 01:39:37, David wrote:

Hi David, I went and installed AllChars but it seems to be a
character map utility for special characters and for that purpose it
seems nice enough.

But where is the function I want which is to be able to paste user-
defined strings?

Macros. Right click on the icon and select Macros. Define your macro
and when you want to activate it hit the / and whatever characters you
have defined as the activation and your substitution will fill in
nicely.

For example I define gr as "Regards\nDavid." Typing /gr results in

Regards
David.

appearing.

Speed of typing affects the activation. Slow is necessary to avoid
activating the macros if you want to type the code as above.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

Frank Bohan

Franklin said:
On Fri 25 Nov 2005 01:39:37, David wrote:

Hi David, I went and installed AllChars but it seems to be a
character map utility for special characters and for that purpose it
seems nice enough.

But where is the function I want which is to be able to paste user-
defined strings?

Look for "macros" in the manual.html file. For quick access (to enter or
amend macros) use CTRL>a>m and select "Macros", or right-click the AllChars
icon. You can also enter macros by editing the .ini file. I use it for my
tag lines.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Anyone who says talk is cheap never hired a lawyer.

Howard Schwartz

t's a lot more than a simple clipboard extender, yet only a small
download. No manual and Help unfortunately. Time for a FAQ.......

Strange thing about CLCL for a text only clipboard extender: It takes up
quite a bit of memory and resources after it loads. Perhaps it borrows from
other libraries, etc.

Howard Schwartz

no one here has posted some feature
that i would go away from:
Mike Lin's Clip Clipomatic.exe
http://mlin.net/Clipomatic.shtml
http://www.mlin.net/files/Clipomatic20.zip

Sorry - I erroneously made the following comment about CLCL:

clipomatic appears small, and saves only text. But when you actually
load the thing into memory (and the tray) and monitor the memory and
resources it uses -- it uses a lot! For a little more, you can use
Yankee Clipper.

Mario Alvares

Hi Roger,

Roger said:
Roger Johansson wrote:

Yes, the tools are indeed confusing when you first try to use them. The
only way to figure out what the different options do is to tinker around
with the options, and check to see what has changed.
Trying to reply to myself. Probably for all formats. (?)

No, "tool_utl.dll" is not for all formats. Let me explain a bit, in
tutorial format, for the benefit of all :)

There are 2 types of plugin DLLs that can be used with CLCL, Format
plugins, and Tool plugins.

-Format Plugins-
Format plugins enable CLCL to capture and store additional clipboard
formats. Examples are "fmt_metafile.dll" and "fmt_rtf.dll", which allow
for Metafile and RTF clipboard support, respectively.

These format plugin DLLs can be configured as follows:

1) Download the additional Format plugins that you wish to use, from
http://nakka.com/soft/clcl/index_eng.html . These are listed right at
the bottom of the page. Currently 3 plugins to support Unicode
(fmt_unicode.dll), RTF (fmt_rtf.dll), and Metafiles (fmt_metafile.dll)
are available.
2) Left-click once on the CLCL system tray icon.
3) This will open the CLCL "Viewer" window. Click "View" on the menu
bar, and select "Options".
4) The "CLCL - Options" dialog opens. Click to activate the "Format" tab.
5) Click the "Add..." button.
6) The "Edit of Clipboard Format" dialog box opens. Click the
"Browse..." button.
7) Browse to the path containing the DLLs that you downloaded in Step 1.
Select the plugin DLL (e.g fmt_metafile.dll), and click "Open".
8) The "Select function header" dialog box opens. Click OK.
9) Click "OK" to close the "CLCL - Options" dialog box.

Your selected format plugin is now configured, and this format will be
picked up and stored whenever it is available on the clipboard.

Note that you can only select 1 plugin DLL in step 7 from the Open
dialog box. So, steps 5 to 8 need to be repeated for each format plugin
DLL that you wish to add.

-Tool Plugins-
The second category of CLCL plugins can be thought of as a set of tiny
utilities, called "tools" that perform one or more functions. A single
Tool plugin DLL can contain one or more tools, and each tool performs
one specific task, such as "Clear Clipboard" or "Clear History". The
steps to configure tool plugins, and a description of what the different
tools do is given below.

1) Download the Tool plugins that you wish to use, from
http://nakka.com/soft/clcl/index_eng.html . These are listed right at
the bottom of the page. Currently 2 plugins DLLs containing text
manipulation functions (tool_text.dll), and utilitity tools
(tool_utl.dll) are available.
2) Left-click once on the CLCL system tray icon.
3) This will open the CLCL "Viewer" window. Click "View" on the menu
bar, and select "Options".
4) The "CLCL - Options" dialog opens. Click to activate the "Tool" tab.
Note that Tool plugins are configured on the "Tool" tab, while Format
plugins are configured on the "Format" tab.
5) Click the "Add..." button.
6) The "Edit of Tool" dialog is displayed. Click the "Browse..." button.
7) Browse to the path containing the DLLs that you downloaded in Step 1.
Select the plugin DLL (e.g tool_text.dll), and click "Open".
8) The "Select Tool" dialog opens up. This dialog displays all the tools
contained in the selected DLL. Select a tool and click OK. Note that you
cannot select multiple tools in this dialog.
9) Click OK to close the "Edit of Tool" dialog.
10) Repeat steps 5 to 9 to add more tools.

Unfortunately, you can select only a single tool in Step 8, so you will
have to repeat steps 5 to 8 to configure multiple tools even if they are
all contained in the same DLL.

Many of these tools operate on the currently selected History item (or
items) in the Viewer. This means that when you select Tools -> ToolName,
you must make sure that the appropriate History item is first selected,
since the tool will perform its action on the currently selected item(s).

Here is a small explanation of what each tool does.

-Tools in "tool_text.dll"-

1) To &Lower – Converts the text in the selected item(s) to lowercase.

2) To &Upper - Converts the text in the selected item(s) to uppercase.

3) &Quotation – Brings up a dialog where you can enter a quotation
character (default character is >). When you enter the character and
click OK, each line of text in the selected item(s) will be prefixed by
the quotation character. For example, if the quotation character entered
is >> , the text :

This is just
an example

will turn into

4) U&n Quotation - Brings up a dialog where you can enter a quotation
character (default character is >). When you enter the character and
click OK, the quotation character at the beginning of each line of text
in the selected item(s) will be removed (if it exists). For example, if
the quotation character entered is >> , the text :

will turn into

This is just
an example

This feature is especially useful to strip the quotation characters from
the text in forwarded emails / quoted newsgroup posts.

5)<&TAG></TAG> - Brings up a dialog where you can enter a start and end
tag to wrap the text in the selected item(s) with. For example, if you
enter <B> for the "Start character" and </B> for the "End character",
the text
Turn Bold today

will turn into

<B>Turn Bold today</B>

6) Delete C&RLF - Removes any line breaks from the text in the selected
item(s). For example, the text

This sentence
has too
many line breaks

will turn into

This sentence has too many line breaks

7) C&onnection of text - This tool concatenates (or "connects", hence
the name of the tool) the text in all selected items, and copies them to
the clipboard. For example, if the following 3 History items are selected :

i) United
ii) we
iii) stand

running this tool will copy the following text to the clipboard :

United we stand

8) &Word Wrap - This tool brings up a dialog where you can enter a
number that is the column width (number of characters) to wrap the text
in the selected items into.

-Tools in "tool_utl.dll"-

1) Clear &History - This tool will delete all History items.

2) Clear &Clipboard - This tool will empty the clipboard of its
current contents.

3) Save of &more items - This tool will save the text in each selected
item into its own text file. You can choose the folder where these files
will be saved, and also specify the naming convention of the saved files.

4) Always on &Top - This will set the CLCL Viewer window to "Always on
top", which means that the Viewer window will remain in front of all
other windows even when some other window is active.

5) &Un Top - This will remove the "Always on top" attribute of the
Viewer window, if it was previously set using the "Always on &Top" tool.

6) &Play Sound - This tool will play a wav file of your choice when a
user-specified event occurs. To configure the wav file, select
View->Options in the Viewer. Click on the "Tool" tab. Select "&Play
Sound" from the list of tools, and click the "Properties..." button. The
"Open" dialog pops up, and you can select the desired wav file and click
OK. To configure the event when this wav sound is played, select "&Play
Sound" from the list of tools, and click the "Edit..." button. The "Edit
of tool" dialog opens up, and you can select the event in the "Call
Type" section. For example, checking "When data is added to h&istory"
will play the wav sound, whenever a new item is added to CLCL's list of
History items.

Hope this helps !

Regards,
Mario

Susan Bugher

Mario said:
Hi Susan,

Maybe you could also add this post to the Wiki.
<[email protected]>

I've added some more information on CLCL.

Great info! Thanks Mario. :) done:

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=0110

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

nt4-ever

http://mlin.net/Clipomatic.shtml
Vic Dura said: "This is an excellent tool. "

yes and it made the pricelessware 2006 list:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006DESKTOP.php#Clipboard:Extender

works fine under win NT-4-sp6a .. after days of running it has used
only 16
cpu seconds (K6-450 cpu) and working set meory of 64~72kB

But under my friends XP-sp2 system it does Not write out
its clip file when after rebooting or shutdown .. so it loses
the clip history .. ok if manually exit the program first so
most likely not handling the XP shutdown notice ..

Anyone else on XP have that problem ?? or work-around ??

saw post re clip torrent and seemed interesting since it
has multi-lingual spelin checker until i read
faq http://cliptorrent.com/faq.htm where it says it saves
clip data to: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application
Data\ClipTorrent
... there is NO C:\Documents and Settings\ folder in NT4 so
guess it is No Joy with NT4 ??
:rod-sacramento

Ron May

Message-ID<[email protected]>:

saw post re clip torrent and seemed interesting since it
has multi-lingual spelin checker until i read
faq http://cliptorrent.com/faq.htm where it says it saves
clip data to: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application
Data\ClipTorrent
.. there is NO C:\Documents and Settings\ folder in NT4 so
guess it is No Joy with NT4 ??
:rod-sacramento

I wrote to the author when I couldn't figure out where the data files
were stored and he wrote back explaining. Not sure, but I think it
would be in the user's "application data" folder on different versions
of windows, wherever it resides.

It doesn't hurt to try it and see. Clip Torrent doesn't write to the
registry so it's just a matter of deleting files to det rid of it.

Let us know if you do give it a shot.

Ron M,

nt4-ever

Ron said:
It doesn't hurt to try it and see. Clip Torrent doesn't write to the
registry so it's just a matter of deleting files to det rid of it.
Let us know if you do give it a shot.

Yep, are u NT4 ??

in the Old days i would try Any
Program to see if it would provide
some Value .. Most did Not
so were deleted ...

Now i am suspect ...
:rod-sacramento

Ron May

Message-ID said:
registry so it's just a matter of deleting files to det rid of it.
Let us know if you do give it a shot.

Yep, are u NT4 ??

in the Old days i would try Any
Program to see if it would provide
some Value .. Most did Not
so were deleted ...

Now i am suspect ...
:rod-sacramento

No. I'm running XP Home SP2. I did use NT4 at work a few years back,
but the IT guys had everything locked down tight, so I didn't get to
play around with it much.

I understand about being suspect, though. Like almost everyone else
who follows this NG, I've had my share of bad experiences cleaning up
after some POS software splattered its crap all over my system. I've
been using Clip Torrent for about a week and I'm really impressed so
far. The author has put a lot of thought into it and I hope that
means it will work on most Windows versions.

Ron M.