What 2.1 sound system

Reaction score
I am moving and need to dispose of my beloved Logitech Z5500 and replace with a 2.1 system. Having read many reviews I have become completely bamboozled. I need a good system as I enjoy music a wide range from classical to electronica and everything inbetween, any sugestions would be welcome.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck02 said:
I am moving and need to dispose of my beloved Logitech Z5500 and replace with a 2.1 system. Having read many reviews I have become completely bamboozled. I need a good system as I enjoy music a wide range from classical to electronica and everything inbetween, any sugestions would be welcome.

You should look no further than Logitech Z4 2.1 system. Great sounding premium computer speakers.

Reaction score
Thanks for your Imput

Hi Quadophile thank you very much for your input I will try to find a store where I can listen to them. The problem is the big retailers do not have speakers hooked up so you can hear the quality. I have been into a Sony retailer who took a display Sony SRSD211.CEK 2.1 35W and set them up on a laptop for me to listen to. They were quite good but like much of Sony's equipment I found the sound little clinical which was OK for electronica but not so good with Classical or orchestral but good value for the money £59-91. Once again thanks for your help.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You are welcome! These speakers are considered one of the best buy's in the price range and has garnered rave reviews not just by casual listeners but audiophiles as well. They should do full justice to both classical and orchestral music too.

Have you also considered a headphone for those times when you cannot listen to the speakers?

Here is a suggestion

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Audio/Sennheiser_PX200_Headphones/

Reaction score
Hi Quadophile I am Ok for headphones my son gave me a set for a christmas present a couple of years ago PX100 folding headphones they are great

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Another vote for the Logitech Z4, I've heard them, they're good (in my opinion).

Quad recommended the Sennheiser PX200 (folding, similar to the PX100) headphones to me four years ago so I bought a set for my i-Pod, very pleased with them.

Just thought I'd mention that out of interest :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments floppybootstomp I will let you and Quadophile know what speakers I eventualy get I am going to shop around so to speak, after yours and Quadophile comments I will going to listen to two systems tomorow, one is the Logitech Z4 the other is a Sony SRS D211 - 2.1-channel PC multimedia speaker system which a friend said was good, both in the in the same price range on line.

Reaction score
Quadophile/floppybootstomp

This morning I left the house early and went to several independent retailers in my area and was able to listen to several systems at one supplier including the Logitech Z4 and the Sony SRSD211.CEK 2.1 system. I eventually went for the Sony system as there was not much between them for sound quality if anything, but the deciding factor was the price, he let me have them for £49-99. The sound from them is very good the mid range is better I thought better than the Z4 as on the Z4 can get a little muddy on the mid range but I must say there was very little in it between the two. As far as volume there again did not seem much between the two as both in a small room would blast your ears, the bass on the Z4 is slightly better and boomy for games also the Z4 control box is more solid. What I did like about the Sony was the speakers the feet clipped off so one can wall mount without having to remove screws, the amplifier/bass unit is oblong and is only 16mm Wide X 29mm long, What I did not like about the Sony is the control box it is light and has a tendency to fall over and the nobs on it are small. As far as fitting them up it only took about 5 min plenty of cable and the instructions easy to follow if you need to be instructed. The design is pleasing to the eye and black and silver all in all not a bad set of speakers. So thank you both for your input and help over my speaker quandaries

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It is really good to know that you made an "informed decision". That is the best way to make a purchase as the satisfaction you get from it is long lasting.

Thank you for your great feedback which I am sure will be found very useful to others on this forum.

I look forward to bumping into you on this very forum again.

Wishing you many happy hours of listening!
nod.gif

Ask a Question