weird problem on address bar - takes forever to go to site

Bill Henshaw

I just started having a weird problem. If I click on a link in a message in
Outlook or Outlook Express, it takes me right to the site. If I select a
favorite from Favorites, it takes me right to the site. If I type a URL in
the address bar, it takes 2 - 3 minutes to go to the site. Doesn't seem to
matter what the site is. I am using IE 6 SP 2 with XP Home SP1.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Don Varnau

Hi,
This might be a malware problem. Work through the solutions (CWShredder,
Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
Malware what it is and how to prevent it:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

Or, it may be an Autocomplete problem- corruption in the History folder. Use
the appropriate (for your OS) instructions at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm to delete your History folder.

Hope this helps,
Don

Bill Henshaw

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info.

I already use Ad-aware, Spybot, and The Cleaner. None of them find any kind
of malware. I downloaded CWSShredder and it didn't find anything either.
While I was at it I downloaded Spyblaster and installed it as another way to
prevent problems. So, you can never be completely sure, but I don't think I
have any malware problems on my machine.

I took a look at the auto complete information. I couldn't delete my
temporary internet files folder entirely. I get an error saying the folder
is needed by Windows and can't be deleted. I was using the administrator
account when I tried to do this. I downloaded CCleaner and it ran fine. I
set all the settings the way the site said to do. I re-booted and still
have problems when entering URL's into the address bar and hitting enter.
It will eventually go to the site, but it takes 2 or 3 minutes. This just
started about 4 days ago.

If you have any other ideas I'd sure be willing to try them.

Thanks again!

Bill

Don Varnau

Bill,
Were you able to delete the History folder- not just empty it? A corrupted
History folder or index.dat file (in the History folder) could cause this.

Try disabling programs running in the background- anything that would be
interacting with IE. Look at anything that's intended to enhance or speed up
browsing, block ads, enhance privacy or security, etc. Any toolbars or other
add-ons to IE?

Don

Bill Henshaw

Don,

No I wasn't. When I try to delete it I get an error "History is a Windows
system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be
deleted". I'm running Windows XP Home SP1. I tried closing down everything
I could and then deleting the folder and I still got this message. Is there
some special way to delete the folder?

Thanks!

Bill

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Bill Henshaw" <xbhenshaw[at]nwlink.com> wrote in message
I just started having a weird problem. If I click on a link in a message
in
Outlook or Outlook Express, it takes me right to the site. If I
select
favorite from Favorites, it takes me right to the site. If I type a URL
in> > > the address bar, it takes 2 - 3 minutes to go to the site. Doesn't seem
matter what the site is. I am using IE 6 SP 2 with XP Home SP1.
Any ideas are much appreciated.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Bill Henshaw said:
Don,

No I wasn't. When I try to delete it I get an error "History is a
Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly.
It cannot be deleted". I'm running Windows XP Home SP1. I tried
closing down everything I could and then deleting the folder and I
still got this message. Is there some special way to delete the
folder?

Thanks!

Bill

Logon as a different user that has administrative privileges and you should
be able to delete the History folder for your user profile.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Bill Henshaw

Frank,

I am logged on with administrator authority already. Would it make a
difference if I created and used a different user?

Thanks!

Bill

Don Varnau

Bill,
Yes it will make a difference. Your History folder will be "in use" when
you're logged in. Another user with admin privileges should be able to
delete it. The machine's default admin account (accessed from Safe Mode)
should be able to delete it.
315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Don

Bill Henshaw

Don,

OK... I started up in Safe Mode and deleted the History folder for my
account. I restarted the computer and went into IE and typed a URL on the
address line and hit enter and it still takes 2 minutes or more to go to the
page even though clicking on a link or using a favorite for the same site
takes just seconds. So... looks like that wasn't the problem. Any other
ideas?

Bill