websites not loading as quickly as they once did

I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. From my homepage I am
having great difficulty with web addresses loading...sometimes it takes 10
minutes or more to load. Is there anything I can do to get this moving
faster...I have been having this problem for about three weeks now. Any help
would be appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Did you install any new programs (privacy, security, ad-blocking) just
before this problem started? Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such
as pop-up blockers, security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus,
etc. Take a look at any program that might be interfering with IE. You may
have to reconfigure, reinstall, or not reinstall a program. Turn on the
Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or Security Center) before disabling a
third-party firewall.

If running XP SP2, try IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable third-party
add-ons to see if one of them is the culprit. If not using SP2, try BHODemon
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html and/or ToolbarCop:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

Have you checked for malware? Download, update and run Ad-aware, Spybot and
(if running WinXP) MS Anti-Spyware (Beta.)
See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks Don. I had done the first things you mentioned. I had also run
antivirus and adware checks (and I have the Microsoft one) but I ran 3 more
adware checks with different programs and found many. I guess the one I had
was probably out of date. I appreciate the help. I am still running the
checks, but I am sure that will fix the problems.

johnson1227 said:
I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. From my homepage I am
having great difficulty with web addresses loading...sometimes it takes 10
minutes or more to load. Is there anything I can do to get this moving
faster...I have been having this problem for about three weeks now. Any help
would be appreciated.

Well Don, it didn't work. I do have XP and I had already done all of the 1st
paragraph and I had not installed anything new. I did go and disable all the
add-ons in Explorer. I had already run Norton Antivirus and now I have run
Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Doctor, Microsoft Beta and one other free one I did
online. Each caught something different, but I am still having the problem.
I also did a defrag for good measure, nothing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

johnson1227 said:
I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. From my homepage I am
having great difficulty with web addresses loading...sometimes it takes 10
minutes or more to load. Is there anything I can do to get this moving
faster...I have been having this problem for about three weeks now. Any help
would be appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
The latest version of Sun Java JRE (5.0 Update 6) has caused this type of
slowness in Internet Explorer. Check Add or Remove Programs. If you have 5.0
V6 you could try uninstalling it and installing 5.0 V5 from
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

Note that JRE 5.0 V5 has security vulnerabilities.
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102171-1
I haven't heard of a solution to the JRE caused slowness other that
uninstalling 5.0 V6.

Or...
None of the malware removal programs can catch everything. You may want to
post a HijackThis log for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps (even thugh yo've done some of them) then post a HijackThis log to the
forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/