Website Down

Reaction score
Ian, had trouble accessing the website at 1455 this afternoon, got the following message come up:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks feckit, I've got loads of server monitoring e-mails in my Inbox as it's gone down about 10 times today for short periods :) I'm working on it as I type :D

Not sure what it is yet, so a reboot may be required.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry about that Wiz, I know what a pain it is when it does that after typing a reply :(

I've done a database repair on all but the largest tables to see if that fixes it... I'll find out in about 20 mins if it does it again.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Sorry about that Wiz, I know what a pain it is when it does that after typing a reply :(

I've done a database repair on all but the largest tables to see if that fixes it... I'll find out in about 20 mins if it does it again.

No worries Ian, I have managed to reply to it now. Hope you are able to fix this. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like it's working now, as it hasn't gone belly up since I ran the DB repair :)

Reaction score
Just got the same message twice again..But as Ian has pointed out he gets E-mail notification..So no real need to post I suppose or is there..?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I spoke too soon, lol, methinks Ian is tweaking.

Couldn't connect at all for about five minutes, couple of error messages, one of which involved a message about a script error and some code.

When I did connect, I had to login again.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I think I spoke too soon, lol, methinks Ian is tweaking.

'fraid not, in the Pub this time ;) Went to a couple of new bars that have opened up just a couple of mins from where I live - bought the cheapest round in years :D I guess they are trying to attract new customers with these prices.

I did get a warning e-mail at 19:01 though which could be the same one. I'm going to go through the logs tomorrow and see what set the database off, and see what can be done to sort it :thumb:

The server has been very well behaved for months, so I'm hoping it's just a DB repair that needs doing. I'll set the alarm early and do this to the larger tables tomorrow morning when there aren't many posters online (as the big ones that deal with posts and threads take about 40 mins to complete, and lock the tables so no data can be added).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like there is still something causing the site to crash, so the site might be slow this morning whilst I work on fixing it - sorry about this folks :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought I'd let you know Ian that around midnight yesterday the site was behaving quite badly.

I couldn't open some posts, it was dead slow and I had to log in on a couple of occasions even though I hadn't cleared my cache.

And on the one occasion I couldn't connect at all.

Good luck with the fix.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I've got it sorted, fingers crossed :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Spoke to soon, as it went down again a few times last night. I'm going to upgrade MySQL to the latest version this morning, so it may be down for a few moments when this takes place. I'm really sorry about this :blush:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to have to take the site offline for a little while, as it appears there is a bug in the MySQL server version running the site - so it requires a larger upgrade which I can't do on the fly :( I'll try and get it back up and running as quick as possible :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Phew, that didn't take as long as I expected - but I had to move quickly as if it went down again it would try and rebuild the InnoDB database tables (which takes ages).

I'm still working on this, but the site should now be up again :)

Ask a Question