Vulnerable IP address

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Which "free firewall scan" did you use and
where they promoting a product?

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=RRJXPKXYSHMSPCSIZME

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"kerry85" wrote:

| I have done a free firewall scan and i was told that my incoming IP
| address is known and i am vulnerable. how can i change this? Thanks
| --
| kerry85

kerry85

I have done a free firewall scan and i was told that my incoming IP
address is known and i am vulnerable. how can i change this? Thanks

Vanguard

kerry85 said:
I have done a free firewall scan and i was told that my incoming IP
address is known and i am vulnerable. how can i change this? Thanks

They want to scare you into buying something from them, don't they? They
issue this alert and yet they sell absolutely nothing on their site? Didn't
think so.

Your IP address will *always* be known to whichever host you connect.
Otherwise, how would that host know where to send back the packets that you
requested, like the web page that you want to download into your browser?

Also, if you enable Javascript in the browser (for the visited site if it is
rendered in a less secure zone) then it can find the IP address for your
host and submit the data back to the server. Either disable Javascript, up
the restrictions in the Internet security zone and put the trusted sites in
the Trusted Sites zone, or put the bad site into the Restricted Sites
security zone. Personally I would like to have IE use the Restricted Sites
zone on the first visit to a site (where its history is used to determine if
a visit is the first one) so you are secure BEFORE you visit there and then
make it easy to switch to the Internet zone if you want to give that site
more freedom (and also opt to add it to a whitelist for the Internet zone).
I actually know a programmer that had something like this but he abandoned
it because he had to spend more time on his other products. Damn.

Galen

In Vanguard <[email protected]> had this to say:

[...]

Vanguard,

Might be something to suit?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/previous/webaccess/pwrtwks.mspx

With that download you can set the security to the internet zone pretty high
and then, and only when, you decide you want to then you can easily add it
to the trusted zone or to the restricted zone at will. That and a handy tool
called Ads Filter... http://www.adsfilter.com/en/

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of
existence." - Sherlock Holmes

Vanguard

Galen said:
Might be something to suit?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/previous/webaccess/pwrtwks.mspx

With that download you can set the security to the internet zone pretty
high and then, and only when, you decide you want to then you can easily
add it to the trusted zone or to the restricted zone at will. That and a
handy tool called Ads Filter... http://www.adsfilter.com/en/

The tweaks added to the Tools menu can only be selected AFTER visiting a
site. Too late.

I don't want to add ALL sites where I want to reduce security to the Trusted
Sites zone. I don't trust all sites where I want reduced security, and the
Trusted Sites zone gives them way to much freedom.

I want to have the Restricted Sites security zone applied to all *new* sites
that I visited so they are throttled BEFORE downloading their pages and
content. I can then decide to move them into the Internet zone but ONLY for
that session, not for every session thereafter. Or I could add them to a
whitelist for the Internet zone (because I don't want them the full freedoms
of the Trusted Sites zone). Just because I may want to whitelist
*.microsoft.com under the Internet security zone doesn't mean that I want to
give that domain the full freedoms of the Trusted Sites zone.

Navigating to unknown sites under the Internet zone is too hazardous.
Putting any site into the Trusted Sites zone just to get their pages to
render correctly is also hazardous because you still probably don't want to
trust them that much. Moving a site into a different security zone AFTER
visiting there means you must take the action manually and it is performed
too late (but performing actions too late is typical of Microsoft, like with
their Antispyware product that monitors rather than intervenes). Putting on
a condom after having sex is stupid. So is always navigating condom-free
(or using a less-than-effective one) using the Internet zone. Putting every
site into the Trusted Sites zone just to get their pages to render correctly
but for which there is no trust (trust is something earned over time, not
immediately accepted) means you have corrupted your Trusted Sites zone with
unknown sites.

You don't get to whitelist sites in the Internet zone. You don't get to
specify that all *new* sites are rendered FIRST under the Restricted Sites
zone. The newness or first-time visit would be determined by checking your
History list in IE: if the site isn't listed in your history, it is a new
visit. Whitelisting would be checked first. Switching from Restricted
Sites to the Internet zone is NOT the same as proliferating the site list
under each zone with unknown sites.
You just want to switch the rendering security mode, not add them to a list.

The Power Tweaks powertoy (that I already have) doesn't do anything more
than add shortcuts in the menus that I would have to select manuall and that
I could have performed manually otherwise. The actions are manual and
performed AFTER the site is visited. Too late. The other linked product
doesn't up the security mechanism of IE, either, so that I am safe on my
first visit to a site and and choose afterward to reduce security either
temporarily for that particular visit or to whitelist the site to always use
the Internet zone. I am definitely not going to list every site that I want
rendered under the Internet zone to put it instead under the Trusted Sites
zone.

I haven't had IE7 to see if its security mechanism is any better than now.
If I cannot setup IE7 to always default to the Restricted Sites zone on a
first visit as determined from its History, to record in History if I
changed to a less secure zone, and to whitelist those sites that I frequent
and want rendered in the Internet zone (but NOT in the Trusted zone) then
IE7 hasn't improved on IE6's security model. I'm not sure any web browser
affords this level of security and configurability to let the user determine
how secure to be on a first-time visit to a site.

kerry85

Vanguard said:
"kerry85" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

Thank you very much for your input. As I was discussing this with
someone else in my ISP they had the some infor and opinion. Have a
wonderful holiday.

kerry85

http://tinyurl.com/9b7gz

--

"kerry85" wrote:

| I have done a free firewall scan and i was told that my incoming IP
| address is known and i am vulnerable. how can i change this?
Thanks
| --
| kerry85

Hi again Carey,

I visited a site called AuditMyPc.com. At first it did not look as if
there were any connections to product purchasing but after further
research it looked as if they would recommend getting a patch. When
clicking on that recommendation it sends you to a few choices of
different sites to purchase these patches. I spoke to my ISP and they
suggested downloading and using a different browser. Thanks for all
your advise and help. It is much appreciated. Have a wonderful
holiday.

Kerry85

[...]

correctly but for which there is no trust (trust is something earned
[...]

No, it's not quite right that way. IE7 is not much better in those regards
either. What I used to use seems to not be effective for my usage any
longer. It doesn't function with a proxy server (I use a proxy server for
compression of text and images to speed my browsing up as I'm generally

http://www.utils32.com/adiefiltr.asp

It's not free or anything but you can basically set up a number of different
security zones with it. You can make it do what you want and then some. So,
basically, you'd (in your case) change the Internet Zone's default to be the
same as the restricted zone. Everything would then, of course, default to
that. When you found a site that you wanted to allow some trust and
functionality but not full trust to then you could then move it to a zone
(name it anything you want really) that had, say, the current Internet Zone
settings. You can actually create a whole bunch of zones and easily manage
them with it. Some of the time I wish I'd go back to surfing without the
proxy just to be able to continue to use the application.

As a result from using the proxy and the application no longer being
functional I've basically locked down the Internet Zone fairly tight, locked
the Trusted Zone a bit, and now surf like that. When there's a site that
seems to meet the criteria for using less protection I go ahead and move it
to the named "Trusted Zone" with an easy enough click and hit refresh.
Unfortunately that was the only work-around for me that suited.