Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?

Mike T.

Far from it. Fedora Core or Ubuntu are loads easier to install than
Windows.
Really? Better tell that to the people in the Ubuntu forums who ended
up with hosed systems after doing an upgrade from 6.06 to 6.10.

(snip)

Ooooooooooh, so some few linux users have felt the pain that billions of MS
users have suffered multiple times after automatic updates that hosed the OS
in some fashion. Ouch. -Dave

Conor

Really? Better tell that to the people in the Ubuntu forums who ended
up with hosed systems after doing an upgrade from 6.06 to 6.10.

(snip)

Ooooooooooh, so some few linux users have felt the pain that billions of MS
users have suffered multiple times after automatic updates that hosed theOS
in some fashion. Ouch. -Dave
No, MANY Ubuntu users have experienced something FAR WORSE than any
update from Microsoft has done.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, £2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

JAD

Mike T. said:
Out of business with hundreds of billions of cash reserves?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Oh man, you'se KeEEEEling me. :) -Dave
You don't get it do you? Because of the way gates runs his buisness, it
still exist, anyone else experiencing this kind of piracy would be long
since out of buisness.

I DIDN'T SAY 'MS' WOULD BE OUT OF BUISNESS, DIPSTICK!

JAD

Matt said:
I expected that you were going to respond to the part about tightening
the screws.

everyone knows, if you tighten the screws to much something breaks........

Crispy Critter

Irrelevant to why MS actually made that change, cretin.

Oh, this should be good for a laugh. Tell us exactly, and in detail, why
Microsoft changed the EULA.

Crispy Critter

And yet, have they really changed it?

Yes, you can download the changed EULA from the web.
Wait! Don't get your hopes up yet. The article doesn't differentiate
between the ultra-expensive boxed retail product and the OEM versions that
you can buy with hardware components. You know, the version of the OS that
homebuilders buy? T

Um, no, smart homebuilders buy the upgrade version because then there is no
grey area. Anyone who thinks they are justified in moving the OEM version
from one PC to another is wrong (Rod *cough* Speed) and I hope Microsoft
comes down on you. Upgrade version is not much more than OEM so don't give
me any bullshit excuse because all you are saving is maybe twenty bucks.

Crispy Critter

Wait! Don't get your hopes up yet. The article doesn't differentiate
between the ultra-expensive boxed retail product and the OEM versions that
you can buy with hardware components. You know, the version of the OS that
homebuilders buy? That is a very significant distinction. If it isn't
clarified, there is nothing to celebrate, yet. Only an idiot would pay full
retail price for a Microsoft OS. -Dave

OEM is not meant for homebuilders and you know it. What's wrong with the
upgrade version which is substantuially less then the full version?

Crispy Critter

Doesn't mean anything unless the new policy applies to OEM copies (not
preinstalled) of Vista, as only idiots pay full retail price for a Microsoft
OS. -Dave

People who buy OEM and then move it to new systems are no better than the
pirates. Doesn't make you smarter, just makes you dishonest. Buy the
Upgrade version next time.

Rod Speed

What difference does that make? If there is an application not available for linux, I can't
imagine what it would be, outside of the obvious MS-proprietary ones.

Your lack of imagination is your problem, as always.

Try VideoReDo for starters.
But there are good linux versions of those, even.

Not if you want to run excel spreadsheets that others
have produced using the MS products. Access in spades.

Rod Speed

Question is---how much is OEM Vista going to cost Dell or HP when they put
it on a new system? My guess was $100---maybe about twice what they
used to pay for XP. Somebody please improve on my guess by posting a link.

No one knows yet because it aint being shipped yet. So there can be no link.

Rod Speed

Yes, but I was thinking in terms of homebuilding. Last I checked,
the OEM version of XP was most of a hundred bucks.

Thats not what the big volume system builders pay for it.

And there are plenty of upgrade versions going
for a lot less than that too, single copy prices.
I'm betting the OEM version of Vista will be at least $150, not purchased in some kind of bulk
agreement.

Initially, quite likely. Separate matter to where the price ends up later tho.
Oh, and there is still no word on if the OEM version will be able to be transferred more than
once. (though apparently SOME versions of Vista have had their EULA changed recently)

Legally MS has no option on that. The current MS position is pure bluff.

Rod Speed

Crispy Critter said:
Rod Speed wrote
Oh, this should be good for a laugh. Tell us exactly,
and in detail, why Microsoft changed the EULA.

YOU made that stupid pig ignorant claim, child.

YOU get to substantiate that stupid pig ignorant claim, child.

THATS how it works.

Mike T.

Crispy Critter said:
Yes, you can download the changed EULA from the web.

Um, no, smart homebuilders buy the upgrade version because then there is
no
grey area. Anyone who thinks they are justified in moving the OEM version
from one PC to another is wrong (Rod *cough* Speed) and I hope Microsoft
comes down on you.

It's odd that Microsoft will activate an OEM license of XP after a hard
drive or mainboard failure, then (even if you replace the mainboard with an
entirely different brand/chipset/brand of cpu). Would you call that a bait
and switch? :) That is, yes, you are legal, go ahead and use the software
.. . . OOOPs, we screwed up, guess we'll have to sue you now. :) -Dave

Mike T.

OEM is not meant for homebuilders and you know it.

Why not? The license only specifies that the builder is responsible for
supporting the hardware and software. I have no problem with that. I
wouldn't expect anybody at Microsoft to be able to help me with Microsoft
software, anyway. :)
What's wrong with the
upgrade version which is substantuially less then the full version?

Nothing, except that it is about 43% more expensive than the OEM
ersion. -Dave

Mike T.

Crispy Critter said:
People who buy OEM and then move it to new systems are no better than the
pirates.

It's odd that microsoft allows this, then. If your mainboard fails or your
hard drive fails, etc . . . you can call up microsoft and have the software
activated again. Note that Microsoft doesn't care about how the component
failed. If the component has been removed from the PC case, that is
definitely a hardware failure. :) -Dave

Crispy Critter

YOU made that stupid pig ignorant claim, child.

YOU get to substantiate that stupid pig ignorant claim, child.

THATS how it works.

And I already did, nutjob. Now where's your data to back up your rebuttal?
Oh, you have none? Thought so.

Crispy Critter

Wrong, as always. MS has always allowed it to be sold with say a motherboard.

Yes, so long as it stays with that mb, dumbass. What you just said is
completely irrelevant to what I said. **** off nutjob.

John Doe

Crispy said:
Um, no, smart homebuilders buy the upgrade version because then
there is no grey area.

Says who?

Who the **** are you?
Upgrade version is not much more than OEM so don't give
me any bullshit excuse

With such a big head, maybe you should stay in the gaming groups.

John Doe

A Linux Lunatic spewing nonsense

From: "Mike T." <noway nohow.not>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
References: <lemdnRJzpOPoFKDYnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d comcast.com> <25crj2hu8cjjr1qed6apads9p1j9114ia3 4ax.com> <MPG.1fa82b09dc5aa6bb989bc2 news.individual.net> <453e3227$0$97257$892e7fe2 authen.yellow.readfreenews.net> <1161717838.637080.130620 e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com> <Xns98674B13D70AB0123456789 207.115.17.102> <glL%g.51$3v4.27 newsfe04.lga> <453f8d45$0$97226$892e7fe2 authen.yellow.readfreenews.net> <MPG.1fa9bbd02a97ebf2989be8 news.individual.net> <453fb7ad$0$97275$892e7fe2 authen.yellow.readfreenews.net> <4q9u3nFm2u9hU1 individual.net> <eid9un$pok$2 news.ndhu.edu.tw> <Xns986F7763CB75F0123456789 207.115.17.102> <454a31c2$0$97219$892e7fe2 authen.yellow.readfreenews.net> <7tudnXqygIHv3tfYnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d comcast.com> <Xns986F8EF8BFB620123456789 207.115.17.102>
Subject: Re: Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:44:59 -0500

What do you do besides play games? What applications?

What difference does that make? If there is an application not available
for linux, I can't imagine what it would be, outside of the obvious
MS-proprietary ones. But there are good linux versions of those,
ven. -Dave