Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?

John Doe

ToolPackinMama said:
Comments?

Microsoft couldn't care less about do-it-yourselfers or high
technology in general. Microsoft's only concern is holding on to its
monopolies, making as many people as possible dependent on
Microsoft, and sucking its captive consumers dry. Any appearance
otherwise is just pulling the wool over your eyes.

Larry Roberts

Comments?

Yes. They are trying to cause you to buy a new license every
other time you do an upgrade... Maybe gona be every other install.
Lots will bitch, but most will "ass-up" the cash without question,
then it will become a common thing that's expected with all software.
It's over.. Screw it. Pay up, or quit personal computing all together.
I'm not even being funny here. :(

beenthere

ToolPackinMama said:
Comments?
Everyone has the choice of buying Vista, or not.
If none of us (TINU), buy it then M$ will have to
start changing its attitude.
PS. I shan`t be buying\using it !.

Same Guy

Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:54:42 GMT: written by "beenthere"
Everyone has the choice of buying Vista, or not.
If none of us (TINU), buy it then M$ will have to
start changing its attitude.
PS. I shan`t be buying\using it !.

Neither will I. I've been using this:

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html

The only downside is that many programs are specifically designed for
using some of the newer M$ components. For example, Yahoo! Messenger
uses part of Internet Explorer, so I can't use it, but instead use GAIM
(which is not as robust). If I do switch to Vista, it may be 5 years
from now after someone has figured out how to hack it to bits. ^^

--

Newsfeeds
The Safe Harbor of SPAMMERS

Gotta have SPAM:

(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Conor

Larry Roberts said:
Yes. They are trying to cause you to buy a new license every
other time you do an upgrade... Maybe gona be every other install.

What a load of shit. No they're not. At worst, you'll have to ring a
toll free number.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, £2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

Mike T.

Comments?

Lots of bullshit floating around.
It'll work pretty much as it does now.

Not quite.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

Basically, if you mainboard dies and you replace it with a different model,
your license for Vista can be "transferred" to what is now considered a new
machine. It can only be transferred once. There is no procedure in place
to over-ride this restriction. So you can't just call an 800# and get your
OS re-activated. -Dave

Mike T.

Larry Roberts said:
Yes. They are trying to cause you to buy a new license every
other time you do an upgrade... Maybe gona be every other install.
What a load of shit. No they're not. At worst, you'll have to ring a
toll free number.

Nope, you're thinking XP. Vista is different. It can be transferred once.
There is no procedure to work-around this restriction. -Dave

JAD

you guys just don't get it....... MS will be long gone, computers will be
appliances.......OS will be free and on a chip that you plug into ANY
machine (cause they will all be the same) use it then remove your chip
when your done...TCPA and its backers are the real perpatrator not Ms. This
OS thing is keeping you distracted.

Carry on wayward sons

Rod Speed

Mike T. said:
toll free number.

Nope, you're thinking XP. Vista is different. It can be transferred
once. There is no procedure to work-around this restriction. -Dave

You dont know that yet.

Rod Speed

Mike T. said:
Not quite.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

Basically, if you mainboard dies and you replace it with a different
model, your license for Vista can be "transferred" to what is now
considered a new machine. It can only be transferred once. There is
no procedure in place to over-ride this restriction. So you can't
just call an 800# and get your OS re-activated. -Dave

You dont know that yet, and neither does techweb either.

Tomcat (Tom)

Mike said:
Nope, you're thinking XP. Vista is different. It can be transferred once.
There is no procedure to work-around this restriction. -Dave

Believe me, there will be work-arounds. MS will be lenient on the
one-transfer restriction. I'm sure you will have to call a number and
jump through a few hoops but eventually you will be able to get it
reactivated. MS is just trying to put some road bumps in the road to
try to discourage casual piracy.

hdrdtd

I think everyone (or a large number of people) are overreacting.

My opinion is that it will most likey end up working similar to the way XP
does now.
You'll be able to upgrade your system a piece or two at a time with no
impact at all. Worst case (as it is now), if you change enough pieces all at
once such that Microsoft thinks it's a new system, all you'll have to do is
call and explain what you've done.

yes I've read the part about changing the motherboard.

remember, when XP first came out, everone was up in arms about not being
able to upgrade their systems for fear of it breaking the Microsoft
activation on their systems. Turned out to be pretty much of a non-issue
didn't it.

Nobody will know for certain until it finall ships.

John Doe

Microsoft will be gone like Ford Motor Company is gone. And it's
worse than that considering Microsoft is the only personal computer
operating system maker and Ford has several other companies to
compete with.

What's going to break Microsoft is other countries banding together
against us. That is if Microsoft ever figures out how to make other
countries pay for Windows in the first place. In the meantime,
Microsoft will remain the New World Order tax on America.

From: "JAD" <kapasitor earthcharter.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:14:08 -0700

you guys just don't get it....... MS will be long gone, computers will be
appliances.......OS will be free and on a chip that you plug into ANY
machine (cause they will all be the same) use it then remove your chip
when your done...TCPA and its backers are the real perpatrator not Ms. This
OS thing is keeping you distracted.

Carry on wayward sons

Crispy Critter

Lots of bullshit floating around.

It'll work pretty much as it does now.

Yea, and the biggest bullshit came from Microsoft themselves by claiming
that the Vista EULA is just a clarification of the XP EULA. That's a big
load of BS they dropped on us.

Tomcat (Tom)

John said:
Microsoft will be gone like Ford Motor Company is gone. And it's
worse than that considering Microsoft is the only personal computer
operating system maker and Ford has several other companies to
compete with.

There is way too much Microsoft installed base for them to be gone
anytime soon. Your prediction might happen in 15-20 years but not in
the near future.
What's going to break Microsoft is other countries banding together
against us.

I can't see this happening. The world typically bands together to copy
us, not be against us. After all, we're the one putting food on their
table.
That is if Microsoft ever figures out how to make other
countries pay for Windows in the first place.

Well one thing for sure, MS can't charge the equivalent in US$ of what
we pay for it, but MS does need to figure out how to start profiting
from the millions and millions of people using their sofware illegally.

John Doe

Tomcat (Tom) said:
There is way too much Microsoft installed base for them to be gone
anytime soon. Your prediction might happen in 15-20 years

Actually, I predict it won't happen in the foreseeable future.
I can't see this happening. The world typically bands together to
copy us, not be against us. After all, we're the one putting food
on their table.

You mean like Toyota and Honda? That's not good for your argument.

These days I am reading food labels that say Made in Taiwan,
Dole and Del Monte fruit for example. I'm sure the same origin was
stated on albacore tuna containers, but apparently the origin text
seems to have disappeared lately (specifically referring to Chicken
of the Sea).
Well one thing for sure, MS can't charge the equivalent in US$ of
what we pay for it, but MS does need to figure out how to start
profiting from the millions and millions of people using their
sofware illegally.

Many countries (Russia, China, and Brazil) do not even have
intellectual property law. Countries that have IP law just look the
other way. They all use Microsoft products for free, the exact same
products we pay for.

Another possibility is something like an intellectual-property
blockade. Might sound strange but I wouldn't bet against it. What
else besides world rule? Of course the idea of ruling the world
makes our leaders drool in anticipation, but that fantasy exists
only in their heads.

The point being. Microsoft isn't going anywhere. Our government
protecting Microsoft is futile. Only Americans and American
companies are hurt by allowing Microsoft to control personal
computing. Better would be to diversify. That diversification will
occur naturally in other countries as Microsoft becomes greedier and
squeezes harder. Protecting Microsoft just handcuffs us here at home
and drives us into the dirt.

John Doe

Conor said:
Lots of bullshit floating around.

It'll work pretty much as it does now.

That's true, at least in Europe.

Download the software and apply the crack.